Ethanol

M in KC

Does/has anybody been running ethanol blended fuels in thier 'finders for any length of time? What's the conseness on blended fuels in 'finders. I normally run 87 octane regular unleaded. But my local gas stations boast 89 octane in 10% blended ethanol for less $$. Is this another you get what you pay for situation? Is/will there be long term irreversible motor damage (e.g. pitted etched injectors, pump damage, etc)? Just curious. Living in the heart of corn country this stuff seems to be showing up more frequently.

M

I have had bad experiences with ethanol. Living in nebraska i am in the same boat you are, ethanol being cheaper than regular. The problem i have is whenever i use ethanol my milage drops about 4mpg/highway and my check engine light comes on then the second i put regular in the light goes off. :angry: Just letting you know my experience.

Edited by Airrun2002

Ethanol does boost effective octane, but it has a couple negatives.

1) It absorbs water

2) It has less energy density per given volume of fuel

3) It burns leaner

If you drive the vehicle regularly, 1 is manageable. However, some peopel have had some issues in vehicles that sit a lot.

When burning ethanol blends, your mpg and power WILL go down. Period. No way around that,. Less energy density means you must burn more to get the same output.

Some FI systems can self adapt enough to deal with the lean burning problem. Some can't. If your Check Engine light is coming on, that is telling you it can't - the system may have gone as rich as possible, but it is still running too lean. The O2 sensor detects this and turns on the light.

Guys thanks for the input. Arron I was born and raised a Husker from the Big O. The blended fuel hasn't messed with my 'finder as of yet other than down on power.

MWS I have #1 covered since this is my daily driver. #2 is a definate, mpg are off 2 to 3 and down on power. I haven't lit the check engine light yet. I'll see how she does.

M

Guys thanks for the input. Arron I was born and raised a Husker from the Big O. The blended fuel hasn't messed with my 'finder as of yet other than down on power.

MWS I have #1 covered since this is my daily driver. #2 is a definate, mpg are off 2 to 3 and down on power. I haven't lit the check engine light yet. I'll see how she does.

M

Hopefully, it costs about 20% less per gallon to make up for the increased consumption, ehh?

At our Sunoco stations here, they have ethanol blended. I have had no adverse effects using it. It's not any cheaper, but I find it gives me more power. I heard that Sunoco had the cleanest gas, so maybe that's why it feels more peppy when I fill at Sunoco. :shrug:

Hopefully, it costs about 20% less per gallon to make up for the increased consumption, ehh?

In this area we have "AM/PM" convenience stores which are also ARCO gas stations, and sell the mixed fuel (10%) I notice a drop in power and economy when using it.

The Taurus I used to have absolutely hated that fuel… ran like crap and way lower economy. My Yota, don’t mind it much, but I do notice a slight power drop… with 33in tires economy is pretty much history anyway :shrug:

As for price, yeah they are lower… but Safeway grocery stores have gas stations as well, gas is usually about the same price and m Path runs just fine off of it… but not as good as off of Chevron fuel.