Second Fuel Tank Gauge Vs Low Fuel Light

I brought this up in another posting but I'll bring it up here.

(Grimgreg)

My 88 has an idiot light. Never got so low that it came on, but the former owner said it didn't like to turn off(when tank refilled) after it does come on shrug.gif

Whereas my 87 Has the second fuel gauge. Was this really only out for the first year?

Edited by Harbinger

Is there a picture of this?  I'm intrigued...

I'm at work right now, but I'll try and snap a picture when I get home.

Rare option huh? That makes me feel all sorts of fuzzy inside! -bounce-

Edited by Harbinger

I meant to post a pic myself but the monitor died on my home PC, so my camera is down untill I can get a replacement.

I wish these secondary fuel gauges were more common, it definatley is nicer than a light.

Interesting, still got stuck with that a$$ ugly orange though I see  .

The orange doesn't really bother me, unlike some on this BBS. Matter of fact, that's one of the reasons I went with the Kenwood at the time I was replacing stereo's, was that it was one of the few H/U's that had switchable illumination to match dash colors. Why would anyone want a blue/red/green H/U display with an orange dash? -thnkboutit-

Plus try finding the white-faced dash overlays for anything other than a H/B pickup ~ one without a tach, at that... ;)

I'm a big fan of real guages. Idiot lights are just that. You'd be an idiot to rely on them ~ by the time they normally come on, the damage is usually already done... :shrug:

Edited by hardwaretoad

Nope, that's all factory. I think it depends on your trim level i.e. SE, XE, etc. My H/B pickup is an XE and has "idiot lights" and no tach, even though it's a 5 speed... ;)

Oh! Wait... yeah, I put that in .... nice mod, huh? :D

Edited by hardwaretoad

My Path has the same dash, with the exception that mine doesn't have the graphic to the left of the fuel gauges saying which one is which, I have the Auto Tranny gear indicator instead.

And yes its all that same ugly orange color :-)

Edited by Harbinger

Was that an easy install? Since my idiot light is still flickering do to a bad connection (at least I'm 90% certain it's a bad connection) I want to put in a real gauge so I can just ignore the darn light.

I imagine you'd have to swap out with another gauge cluster from a donor pathy to get that gauge in the stock location. Might be easier to go aftermarket?

Another thing I love about my 87's dash is the dual trip odometers!

Mines got dual trip odometers too. :) I usually just end up reseting both at every fill up though.

Yeah I just want to install an aftermarket pod style gauge, but I can't find any posts about installing one.

I use mine to better gauge my MPG when I'm running low on cash and can't afford a full tank. Put in 10 bucks, reset and odometer, make a note of the 1/2 gallon you put in for said $10, and your set up for when you actually fill the tank. :-)

I like the dual trips, too... :aok:

An under-dash oil pressure guage would be a piece of cake, very simple to install. It'd be more work if you're looking to do the A-pillar pod style, the hardest part trying probably to find one that fits a Pathy or H/B pickup pillar... ;)

Edited by hardwaretoad

I agree that the dual trip meters are nice to have.

I use the left one for a running total for each fill up (used to estimate mileage) while the right one is to keep track of daily and/or point to point mileage.

I like the dual trips, too... :aok:

An under-dash oil pressure guage would be a piece of cake, very simple to install. It'd be more work if you're looking to do the A-pillar pod style, the hardest part trying probably to find one that fits a Pathy or H/B pickup pillar... ;)

OK I really want to do this. Now what do I do? :P I mean would any off the shelf oil pressure gauge work, or am I going to need a certain brand? And how exactly does the oil pressure sensor mount on the engine? I realize that I sound like a total newb, but than again I am, so :help:

Yeah, nothing to it. The hardest part is routing the plastic tube into the cab and that's not hard either ;)

Just make sure that you check it for leaks after install... although they are not likely, if you do have a leak you will want to catch them early so you don't drip oil inside your truck.

You'd need to check for leaks only if you're going to use a mechanical guage. Use an electric one and all you have to worry about is a clean install on the wiring... -thnkboutit- :idea:

I use my dual trips the same way as RedPath88 does... :aok:

Edited by hardwaretoad