earthquakes

mudfinder

this last few weeks, there have been a lot of earthquakes. one massive quake in chile, i think, somewhere in south america. the massive quake off the coast of northern cali, and a few shakes rattle and rolls here in so. cal. it's kinda freaky about all these quakes happening all of a sudden. i know that us, so cal residents are way over due for the big one i guess. everyone around here is saying that the big one is comming soon. all i know is that if we do have one, i hope it's during the night, when it usual is because i'm at work(graveyard shift) and at the airport. so once it starts shaking, i'm headed towards the middle of the runway.

Hey Finder, where you at in So Cal?

I work in Vista (North San Diego County) but I live in Murrieta (South West Riverside County)

I felt yesterdays quake bigtime! I was up on a 25' scissors lift standing still when the lift started shaking and swaying one way and the pipe I had hung started shaking and moving...FREAKY FEELING! No control! I pulled the emergency down handle and I was on the ground faster than you can say WHOLLY CRAP!

i'm in the los angeles area, i'm in the san fernando valley. we got shook up pretty good here. sunday morning, i was in bed, yesterday, i was at my g/f's house when it started shaking. i think their kinda fun, but not when you're 25ft up in the air on a sissor lift.

as far as you being on a sissor lift while it shook, it'll take me a long time to get back up on one of those, i'd $hit bricks!!!

I guess living up here in Ontario, I'm pretty lucky, any natural events like that either miss us, or are pretty tame... although we do live on a fault line... and get quite a few teenie quakes a year, but I've only ever felt one.

I live in the central valley (Stockton area) so I didn't feel the so Cal quakes..thank GOD! I was living in England when Cali had the last "big one" (thanks GOD again for good measure) :bow:

Quakes were fun when I was a kid.... now I am fat and can't run as fast to safety. -bounce-

I live in the central valley (Stockton area) so I didn't feel the so Cal quakes..thank GOD! I was living in England when Cali had the last "big one" (thanks GOD again for good measure) :bow:

Quakes were fun when I was a kid.... now I am fat and can't run as fast to safety. -bounce-

LOL :P I can't run Either! Same reason! :hide:

No worries guys. They say those of us in the NW will have by far THE BIG ONE when isht hits the fan. According to the geology types, not only are we due, but we should be good for similar to the type of Anchorage, Ak back in the 60's. Somewhere along the 8.0-9.0+ range, basically total destruction. The little 7.0 a couple years ago, along with some recent volcano activity (St. Helens) is just a cheap preview.

Yep Mr P, I'm looking forward to the lower real estate prices then.... :P

Oh, and try not to be a twit Duffman...

B

No doubt on the RE prices. I just sold my townhouse last month and made 1/4 of the price I paid after 2 years of ownership, only to buy a house at twice what the people paid in 1998.

this last few weeks, there have been a lot of earthquakes.... ........i'm at work(graveyard shift) and at the airport. so once it starts shaking, i'm headed towards the middle of the runway....

Freaky, I work at the San Diego airport. The runway seems to be the safest place to be during a quake.

Lucky for me I spend half my week livin on 8 acres in BFE...and when I am at the bf's I am on 3 acres....with power lines..but lots of trucks out abck to hide under..lol :idea:

Oh, and try not to be a twit Duffman...

hehehe.. something about the word 'twit' makes me giggle...

it is a bit feaky how many quakes you guys have had out that way lately...

Freaky, I work at the San Diego airport. The runway seems to be the safest place to be during a quake.

Assuming they close the runway and divert all the incoming planes! :huh:

[

it is a bit feaky how many quakes you guys have had out that way lately...

It's just the price we pay to avoid ice and snow storms!

I know I chose where I live and work with some (not much, but some) consideration of earthquake risk. About 150 miles away from the san andreas fault is about my closeness limit. And I don't live below dams. Or steep hillsides. Or under heavy objects. :hide:

Even so, I have found LOTS of great places to live and play!

It's just the price we pay to avoid ice and snow storms!

haha true enough...

however ice & snow is the price I pay to avoid earthquakes, tornados, hurricanes, and most of all hugeass bugs. :hide:

I had no choice when I ended up in Cali... my family are refugees from New Jersey, where I was born. I want to move to Oregon... but the bf's Mom doesn't want to move from her wheelchair! :angry:

I don't miss the hurricanes and humidity of the east coast tho... :crazy:

oh... and we had another quake this weekend....the big one is coming....

I live on top of a hill so I don't have to worry about anything falling on me, except the house itself of course. :P:hide:

There haven't been any quakes in this general area for a while now (knock on wood).

Been in Cali for 35 years; quake ??? What quake ?? We had a quake ??? Oh... :asleep:

Quakes are a nice disaster, there is no season, there is no warning (ie sense of dread), a big one is very rare, it only lasts a minute or two and the survivability odds are VERY good. You just go along with your life and roll the dice, just like everyone everywhere does every day. Besides, that is what the Pathy is for, urban escape when the roads are buckled and all the Esplenades (whatever) are in the ditches, spinners still spinning... :P

Every place has something that can kill you, blizards (big lizards), hail, tornadoes, hurricanes, floods (hear ya about the dams mws), tsunamies (namies without tsu), lions, tigers, and bears, Oh MY, boredom, religion, city water, blah, blah blah...

Just pick the place you like, and be mildly prepared for any of the local disasters de jour...

B

I agree Bernard! I would rather take an unexpected, infrequent quake to a constant fear of tornadoes and having to hide out in my basement for long periods...hoping I can walk upstairs after a nado and still find my house standing, and neighbors alive.... natural disasters are icky.

Well, there was another shaker so admittedly it is getting a bit wierd... This time it was a 4.8 centered at North Lake Tahoe, thats what is so wierd. Thats 4 4+ quakes in a month, scattered about other than the central coast. Hmm, makes me wonder... If I stop posting either the house colapsed or it's below sea level.... :P

B

Where I live there is no such thing as disasters. We have humidity, which I like. The city offcials around here have been predicting terrist attacks on our skyscrapers 9/11 style. Now why would anyone want to attack Charlotte? I guess it's our banks... Charlotte is the banking city of USA.

Where I live there is no such thing as disasters. We have humidity, which I like. The city offcials around here have been predicting terrist attacks on our skyscrapers 9/11 style. Now why would anyone want to attack Charlotte? I guess it's our banks... Charlotte is the banking city of USA.

i had no idea charlotte was banking city of the U.S. i'd rather have earthquakes than terrorist attacks. I think terrorists are more likely to strike Los Angeles than Charlotte. But than again, you never know, they strike at the least expect place and time.