earthquakes

mudfinder

Well, there was another shaker so admittedly it is getting a bit wierd... This time it was a 4.8 centered at North Lake Tahoe, thats what is so wierd. Thats 4 4+ quakes in a month, scattered about other than the central coast. Hmm, makes me wonder... If I stop posting either the house colapsed or it's below sea level.... :P

B

Ditto! :mellow:

Where I live there is no such thing as disasters. We have humidity, which I like. The city offcials around here have been predicting terrist attacks on our skyscrapers 9/11 style. Now why would anyone want to attack Charlotte? I guess it's our banks... Charlotte is the banking city of USA.

Charlotte South Carolina right? What about hurricanes? ;)

No, Charlotte North Carolina. They always die out before they get this far inland. Except for Hugo in '91 (I think). I figure terrorists would go for a bigger city too, but these guys around here are convinced that we're a more likely target. Whatever :crazy:

No worries guys.  They say those of us in the NW will have by far THE BIG ONE when isht hits the fan.  According to the geology types, not only are we due, but we should be good for similar to the type of Anchorage, Ak back in the 60's. Somewhere along the 8.0-9.0+ range, basically total destruction.  The little 7.0 a couple years ago, along with some recent volcano activity (St. Helens) is just a cheap preview.

Yeah I live a vary short distance from the epicenter of that quake... a coffee can fell from the cupboard and a brick wall separating my property from another, cracked some... my yard is about 4ft higher then the next. What surprised me was the fact that my garage was still standing when I got home that day :blink:

I however was in Kent when it happened, in a building that took so much unseen damage that it was condemned.

They did not really know how much it took till a few weeks later, after it was cleared for entry and occupied by many people, the sprinklers went off. They could not understand where the water went... that was when they discovered the true damage it had taken. The foundation was destroyed.

Not surprising to me, since I road it out inside, the walls looked like jello and you could see and feel the shock waves rippling through the concrete floor of the transportation isle that runs in the middle of the building (spanning from end to end).

Few minutes ealier and I would have been standing.. err hanging off of the side of a catwalk some 30-40ft above a concrete floor.

It did enough damage as it was.. something bigger and this area is screwed!

you know, interesting fact i read the other day. there was this movie that aired here in LA some time ago called 10.5. it was about a 10.5 quake here in LA. total distruction. the fact i came up on was that's it's impossible for an earthquake of that mag to hit the west coast. matter in fact a magnitude of 8.5+ is unlikely. why? because the anderes fault here is only 800miles long. so therefore it's not long enough to cause friction causing a mag of 8.5 or greater, even 8.0. i found that interesting.

Interesting Mudfinder, I had never heard that... Sort of makes sense, but I would argue that nothing is impossible ! Even then, a 7+ is nothing to sneeze at and screws things up pretty good.

Fun fact for you; there is a Pt Reyes National sea shore area here... It migrated from the Santa Barbara area. It's on the other side of the San Andreas fault and has been moving north for a while... The geology is quite dissimiliar from the local.

B

Hey.. I'd rather put up with our quakes here in Cali than the monsters they have in Japan! Could you imagine being at the top floor of one of those buildings inna quake? I would wear a parachute to work every day!

... because the anderes fault here is only 800miles long. so therefore it's not long enough to cause friction causing a mag of 8.5 or greater, even 8.0. i found that interesting.

I'm sure that everyone there will sleep better at night knowing that they can only be hit by an 8.0 and nothing greater. :) :) I do see your point about it being 'interesting' though.

It migrated from the Santa Barbara area. It's on the other side of the San Andreas fault and has been moving north for a while... The geology is quite dissimiliar from the local.

same thing, L.A. is shifting North and San Fransico shifting South, they said that in about 15million years or so Los Angeles and San Fransico will be right next to each other. Oh yeah, i don't know if you guys heard the rumor that if an earthquake large enough hits L.A., L.A. will serperate and become an island. that's all bogus too. but that would be cool, not the quake be the island.