Cargo baskets

94 Pathy

:secret:

Just an FYI for all you non cargo basket owners......Target Super Stores is now carrying Cargo Carrier Baskets for the top of our vehicles. I was in my local one and saw them for just under $200.00. It's universal...sorry, I can't remember the demensions of the basket. I know that it is 6.5" deep. For some reason I want to say it is 30" X 56"...Don't quote me on that. I tried looking it up on their website, :type: :shrug: but couldn't find it. I think it is too new for their site. So, if you are looking for a cheaper price, that's not too bad for a new basket. I'm thinking about getting one once I get my bonus check in a couple months. Hopefully they will still have them! If so, I'll get some pic's for you'll to see what it looks like. :beer:

Have to take a look at the local Target and see if they have them. I know Pep Boys sells one that is a joke, and the only other ones I have seen locally are the Yakima and Thule baskets. At one time I was going to make one but I never got around to it, and it would cost at least $200 for materials anyway.

Any Canadians, or anyone close to the boarder can pick up a Sportrack Basket from Canadian Tire for $250...

0401146_450_CC_2ffd3.jpg

I've had mine for little over a year & love it...

0%20075.jpg

(Mine has the extension on it too...)

:aok:

That's what the basket at Target looks like Pezzy. I'm not going to put the Coleman sticker/decal on it, but similar.

Hey GrimGreg, Make sure your Target is a Super Target! I doubt a smaller Target store will have them.

Good Luck to All! :beer: -alcohol- :oops: :blink:

As you can tell, I took that airdam right off, it was costing too much fuel!!

I actually peeled the "sportrack"sticker off of mine, and had a PEZ sticker there last year before I chose to ditch the thing!

Edited by Pezzy

WAVEY

Alright everyone. The basket I've been talking about is 39" X 44" X6.5" (WxLxD). I was at Traget today and it is $199.99. It's universal and I believe it does come with an installation kit. It does fit onto factory roofracks.

Hey Pezzy, do you notice any wind noice or anything with the airdam off? It's suppose to prevent wind noice and be a little more aerodynamic. Just curious, I'll probably be doing the same thing.

Travis

94 Pathy

:beer:

to be honest, I didnt have it on long with the airdam... I liked the look, but not what it did to my fuel economy... although the rack alone makes a pretty good dent.

Without the airdam, it does make quite a bit of noise... but I just turn up the music a couple more notches!

Eww..thats some nasty looking mud!!!!

it wasnt that mud that stopped me there as much as the pile of logs and sticks in front...

Is that $250 canadian?

Hmm...

Now that I have a mig welder in the garage, I've been thinking of fabbing up some semi-permanent brackets to attach the bars off my Thule rack to the Pathy. I do not have the factory roof rack, so I plan to make some new uprights with "feet" that conform to/wrap around the edge of the roof. Since it is an '87 2 door, it does not have any kind of door openings or gutters to clamp to. Instead, I though I'd JB-Weld acorn nuts and washers inside the body for a waterproof yet positive mount. I'll just put short s/s button head bolts in the holes when the rack is not on there.

Anybody done anything or seen anything like this?

Speaking of racks, anybody experiment with moving them forward or backward to find where the noise is minimized? I'd assume moving as far back as possible would be best. If so, getting a shorter (less long) but wider rack may be advantageous to keep noise to a minimum...

The Surco racks are garbage. They are aluminum, and simply cannot withstand very much weight in them. Since you have a MIG Welder, you might want to consider getting some 1" steel square stock and fabbing your own. :aok:

Is that $250 canadian?

Hmm...

Now that I have a mig welder in the garage, I've been thinking of fabbing up some semi-permanent brackets to attach the bars off my Thule rack to the Pathy. I do not have the factory roof rack, so I plan to make some new uprights with "feet" that conform to/wrap around the edge of the roof. Since it is an '87 2 door, it does not have any kind of door openings or gutters to clamp to. Instead, I though I'd JB-Weld acorn nuts and washers inside the body for a waterproof yet positive mount. I'll just put short s/s button head bolts in the holes when the rack is not on there.

Anybody done anything or seen anything like this?

why wouldnt you buy the thule feet for your truck??

The Surco racks are garbage. They are aluminum, and simply cannot withstand very much weight in them. Since you have a MIG Welder, you might want to consider getting some 1" steel square stock and fabbing your own. :aok:

My hubby has the Surco Safari Rack on the X, weve had wood, chairs, tables & other camping stuff up there with no problems...

It does have a wicked kink in it - but the guy we bought it from caught it on his garage door one day... oops!

why wouldnt you buy the thule feet for your truck??

a ) That would be too easy!

b ) 'cuz i'm a cheap bugger!

c ) 'cuz I got a mig welder and am just looking for excuses to play with it

d ) All of the above

:wacko:

Weld my own rack.... hmmmmmm... Off I go to Online Metals to price some 1" steel!

Edited by mws

3 minutes on online metals tells me I can get all the material delivered to my door for well under $100.... Hmmm.... Maybe I'll even get it powder coated if it comes out real nice.

1x1" square frame with 1 x 1/2" floor slats should look nice and be heck for stout. 1/16" wall would be plenty strong.

And no need to use Thule bars at all - I'll just make the feet an integrated part of the thing. If I use a drill driver to remove the "plug" bolts and install the mounting bolts, it could be a 2 minute job to install or remove...

Oh great, another project... :rolleyes: I gotta get our tow van out of the driveway and to the painter this week!

I have the Yakima Load Warrior. It's pretty tough. One of the guys in the X Club rolled his truck and that thing held up and kept the truck roof off the ground. I was looking atthe Thule but it isn't as nice and after I heard about the X Roll,I decided the Yak was a no-brainer. I got it at REI on a 20% off day for like $240 but they can be had for around that on Ebay as well.

how quick do those racks from canadian tire (target) disconnect? im curious, cuz the wife and I are looking for some sorta rack to carry a canoe too. (and a point in a good direction for a good canoe rack would be appreciated) :)

They're pretty easy...

they have four brackets (one per corner) that wrap around the roof bar like a "U"

and then a piece that goes on top, over the rack, and the U to hold it down

and then two screw knobs per bracket go on the two U ends...

only problem I have found that some of the knobs dont work that well, some go on like a breeze, and some fight you every turn... *insert mad cursing here* I was concidering calling up sportrack & getting a few new ones...

:furious:

Grim! What is the H3LL? $100.00 on clearance? They just got them out! Where are you from and what target? I'll have to keep my eyes open. I would snag one or even two for that price and turn a profit on the second one. Do you have it on yet? If so, how about a pic of the finished product?