Northern California

norcaljoe

Just a quick question going out all the California people. Has anyone tackled the rubicon trail or the fourdyce trail in northern california in there Pathys? If so how did it go what kind of setup do you have? Just enquiring because a bunch of friends are planning a trip and i'm not sure if my pathy will make it through alive. I've heard some pretty good horror stories.

I have hit the "Con" ....but not yet in a Pathy. I did it in my Jeep..or ..most of it....ran outta daylight.

It has some knarly parts.. depending on how equipped your Pathy is is to how good your survival rate is. good luck! post pics! :aok:

I dunno bout the Rubicon.. he!!..I'll be glad when my 31's stop rubbin on the fenders! Must........grab......sawzall.....and..........cut........

It really depends. How much of the rubicon do you want to do? There are plenty of trails in the park, and all are varying difficulty. I'd suggest looking at maps, they are usualy lined out with difficulty levels. Some parts can be handled easily by mere stock vehicles, even (gag) heeps, and then there are parts that can only be done by rock crawling buggies. A set of 33's would make life easier, but 31's can handle a fair chunk of the place. Mainly, how good are you at driving her? 31's or 33's don't mean squat if you can't figure out approach, how far you can lean her, etc, etc, etc. I'm not trying to scare you off, as it is a fun place from everything I've heard, but as in all wheelin trips, the difference between a good one and a horrible experience depends on your preperation.

M.M.

It really depends. How much of the rubicon do you want to do? There are plenty of trails in the park, and all are varying difficulty. I'd suggest looking at maps, they are usualy lined out with difficulty levels. Some parts can be handled easily by mere stock vehicles, even (gag) heeps, and then there are parts that can only be done by rock crawling buggies. A set of 33's would make life easier, but 31's can handle a fair chunk of the place. Mainly, how good are you at driving her? 31's or 33's don't mean squat if you can't figure out approach, how far you can lean her, etc, etc, etc. I'm not trying to scare you off, as it is a fun place from everything I've heard, but as in all wheelin trips, the difference between a good one and a horrible experience depends on your preperation.

M.M.

Good posting!!!

Tire size is important but the consensus I've read is that lockers are a must. 33's would be nice but don't forget about skid plates and undercarriage armor along with the sliders.

winch is great idea.. and 2 spare tires..hi lift of course.. and lockers a must. I had 33's on my Jeep.. so a Pathy on 31's would probably manage just as well.... as MM said.. you can have all the equipment.. but if the skill's not there.. it don't eman squat. If you know your Pathy.. you'll have fun. :beer:

I do believe somebody left out... a camera! I haven't done the Rubicon, but from what I've heard a decently equiped rig should be able to get through bypassing stuff they can't handle. Don't forget some common sense and a decent assortment of tools and duct tape, and you should be ok for the most part. But that's just common trail sense.

Well I decided to skip the rubicon this time around and went for something a little easier. The high lakes east of sterling city for you NorCal people that have heard of it. Let me tell you bald tires and snow are a definate nono. Beautifull country though. Pics coming soon.

Ok as promised here are some pics of the trip to the high lakes. If anyone has any problems getting to the pics let me know. I have not used yahoo briefcase before so I'm not sure if i did everything right.

High lakes

ya fixed the plate, little to much fun flying through the water -alcohol- . The lake would be perfect for wakeboarding jetskis etc. A little cold right now but the nice thing is we had the entire lake to oursleves. The only other person that showed up was a forest ranger checking on us. Fun Fun. Oh ya for you peeps that noticed the snow chains, I now know they work alot better on the front wheels of a 4wd. :shrug: