Rocksliders and Skidplates

Flyer

Well, I jus got back home with my new suspension- I haven't driven much but first impressions are GREAT! The OME springs shock along with the KBY struts raised my Pathy by almost 2" (stock springs sag 1"). The ride is firmer and it kick over sharp bumps more but the back is empty- with gear, it'll be perfect.

Anyway, I'm looking for sliders that are higher up and further out than the ones I'm seeing- almost far enough out to be able to use as a step. Any ideas on this?

As far as Skidplates go, I think I'm going with Black Panthers unless you guys have another, better, option. I'd like to order it all by Mon and maybe have it all put on by next weekend.

I may even get some offroad lights but I'm not sure where to mount them- a Safari bar or just tuck them into a recess in the stock bumper. Heck, I don't even know what kind to get. I really seem to have caught the modbug and I am helpless in its grasp- as is my bank account.

Hey Flyer. Just a heads up, I'm 1/2 way done with my prototype UHMW Polyetheylene front skid plate. They work way better than steel and aluminum, and I'll be offering to make them for people... They are wider and longer than stock, but I'm still working on the final dimensioning. Maybe thats a custom accessory you would want ? Colors are black, white and blue. I'll post some picts when it is complete, 1 week I hope barring rain....

Bernard

Hey Flyer. Just a heads up, I'm 1/2 way done with my prototype UHMW Polyetheylene front skid plate. They work way better than steel and aluminum, and I'll be offering to make them for people... They are wider and longer than stock, but I'm still working on the final dimensioning. Maybe thats a custom accessory you would want ? Colors are black, white and blue. I'll post some picts when it is complete, 1 week I hope barring rain....

Bernard

Interesting concept.

Polyetheylene, huh? I know steel works well but how is this stuff better- I'm curious. I do need more than the front though- I'd like to cover up as much as possible. Anyway, I'd be interested in learning more and any info you have would be helpful. Can I access the drain plug and oil filter as well?

Edited by Flyer

Flyer, I have the BlackPanther skids, and they are amazing. The craftsmanship on them is superb. They're very easy to install...with 5 arms or a jack/cooler to support the plate. One thing, just make sure you get the rear most bracket bar on the right way, or the holes wont line up. I've got the smaller one, and they've held up to everything I've thrown them at, including a big rock at 10+mph that stopped me dead in my tracks with not so much as a little knick in the powdercoating. :aok: For the price, and the level of support that Marcel offers, you really can't go wrong.

I do have a question for you Precise1 have you tested this plastic in below 0 weather? I know the article which gave you this idea and they never leave the heat zone. I can tell you here plastic has lmtd flex at -15 and none at -42 that we had this year but I would like to know how it works out if someone smacks it in this climate as how large the crack would be.

I know this winter I had a local smash his plastic splash guard up that was at -25 he went wheeling and hit a huge snowbank as he put it.

This winter I will check for you I will grab some of this material and test it for you just bomb me an e-mail to remind me. I can give you feedback if you like. I'll be glad to help you out.

:beer:

I talked to Marcel today (I assume that's the owner's name) and he was very nice. I love the product and it's two weeks out so I can wait a little bit. Any of you having luck with Rock Sliders though. It looks like a custom job is the only option for the newer Pathy. That could get really expensive and may not fit properly either, custom or prototype.

Hey Flyer. Just a heads up, I'm 1/2 way done with my prototype UHMW Polyetheylene front skid plate. They work way better than steel and aluminum,

I just made a set for my 88 Pathfinder out of 1/2" cutting boards. I used 2, 16"x22" boards I bought at a restaraut equipment store for $13 each, then just used self drilling screws to mount them. Didn't make any cuts on them, just mounted the front one widthwise, and the rear one length wise. My only concern is the exhaust pipe sitting so close, but at the same time it's one of my biggest worries under there after nearly ripping the crossover pipe out of my 93 on a rock. They'll get a good test this next weekend at Coal Creek though :D .

Flyer, I just realized you have a 2002, I'm making them for the 90-95's (maybe they also fit 2 doors ?).

They work way better than steel and aluminum
Um, let me reword that... They have some benefits over steel and aluminum. High abrasion and impact resistance, very low coefficient of friction (the idea is to slip off of things), good chemical resistance, that it will flex somewhat and spring back, and that you can form it.

The white is food grade (cutting boards, etc) operating temp -26 to 100 degrees F

The black is "antistatic" and what I used because I have a maroon truck with black trim; didn't find a temp range but it is often used as conveyor wear pads.

The blue is glass filled and has an operating temp of -450 to 180 degrees F (not a typo), and is often used in coal chutes and hoppers; that sounds pretty tough to me...

Then there is oil filled, I dont know the color or operating temp yet, but has "significantly reduced coefficient of friction" of an already slippery material...

I think that answers your question Runnerman ? I basically dont know from experience, just reading... I'd love for you to deep freeze some and hit it with a sledge hammer; that blue version sounds like it wont care though... I'm from Ca, so I cant conceive of -42 degree weather; I didn't concern myself with that. Actually, I cant conceive that people could/would live where it is -42, and then actually driving around in it !! :P

I cut my outline with a tree saw, box knife, and bandsaw; I highly recommend bandsaw/jigsaw/router (anything NOT manual). Next I drilled the front bolt pattern in on a mill and made a 1/2" stand off block for clearance. Then I bent the front lip by clamping it to a metal table and propane torching it hot enough; the trick here is it set the bend with cold water or something, the stuff will try to spring if able. I'm going to try forming next; I'm going to get creative with a gas BBQ... :blink:

I haven't been able to bolt it on to figure out curves bends yet because it has been raining for days. WTF, I got work to do (but no garage)... When I finish I'll do a bit of a write up on the whole thing.

Bernard

Awsome Precise,

I was looking at trying to make one, but if your going to be producing I'd love to support ya, and get one of yours farther down the road. Good Luck and I hope the rain stops!

The white is food grade (cutting boards, etc) operating temp -26 to 100 degrees F

The blue is glass filled and has an operating temp of -450 to 180 degrees F (not a typo),

I think that answers your question Runnerman ?

I'd love for you to deep freeze some and hit it with a sledge hammer;

I cant conceive that people could/would live where it is -42, and then actually driving around in it !! :P

Bernard

Haha Ya it gotta love this past winter :) seems that we never came out of the deep freeze but life goes on and so does some good ice fishing times ;) meaning some pretty hard snow/ruts and Banks to drive over and some really fun trips on the River & Lake. :D

Well I might still have this Pathy that I picked up (92) The Blue one does sound pretty tough, now on that note:

What I will do at our temps is bolt it on and see if it has flex at that temp I know it can withstand the temp(BLUE ONE) but can it flex at that temp.Hammer does nothing 4000lb vehicle might be a different story though. This is why I am offering as then we will know if it retains it's flex at that temp.

So question for you how much is the Blue, Black and Oil Filled? Also what thickness are you making it out of?

Do you have a link on this material for info? I looked but came up with some different sites that had no bearing???

Here is the pic

129_0503_tlex_04_z.jpg

I left out the white as I don't think it could handle our mild winters so no point.

Thanks and I hope all goes well !

:beer:

I just made a set for my 88 Pathfinder out of 1/2" cutting boards. I used 2, 16"x22" boards I bought at a restaraut equipment store for $13 each, then just used self drilling screws to mount them. Didn't make any cuts on them, just mounted the front one widthwise, and the rear one length wise. My only concern is the exhaust pipe sitting so close, but at the same time it's one of my biggest worries under there after nearly ripping the crossover pipe out of my 93 on a rock. They'll get a good test this next weekend at Coal Creek though :D .

Where did you attach the self-drilling screws and with what tool did you do that? Do you mean that you drilled into the metal somewhere? It sounds easy but I can't visualize this fully yet. The Black Panthers are all bolt-on-only so that is easy for me to visualize.

check out www.cardomain.com/id/volcomdude17 i made my rocksliders myself they stick out far enough so i use them as a step and smaller car doors will hit those before my doors :D .. i also made some skidplates

Hey Runnerman, kinda like that pict, but I'm profiling and bending mine, not just bolting on a sheet like that photo, also, it looks like that is 1/4" thick, 3/8 at best... The sledge bit was a joke, but if I have a blue(cold temp) one around in winter, yes, I'd love for you to try to break it... :D I'm making them with stand off blocks to mount in the same bolt holes the factory do with shallow counter bores and pan head allen bolts for the rear mounting. Like I said, about a week and I will have better info and picts...

Meanwhile, here is where I got it...

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNPDFF?PMPAGE=1787

Here is a simple breakdown...

http://www.americanacrylics.com/othsheet.htm

Here is more detail from 1 producer...

http://www.symplastics.com/products/ramex.html

B

Edited by Precise1

I'm very interested in any skidplate I can get my hands on (If I ever get around to mounting the shrockworks bumper, of course). The only downside that I can see to this new material is the price. A 24"x36" sheet was about $240, not including any machine work. I can't wait to see some pictures :D

check out www.cardomain.com/id/volcomdude17 i made my rocksliders myself they stick out far enough so i use them as a step and smaller car doors will hit those before my doors :D .. i also made some skidplates

Great job on the SLiders. I like those- they do stick out far enough to effectivly use as a step without slipping off. The other bonus is that the cars will hit it before hitting your vehicle- I love that!

Well, I will keep looking to see which Sliders to get- I definitely can't make them myself.

Another nice thing about the plastics is if you hit a rock and it bends, it will bend back on it's own rather than having to drop the skid and get the sledge out (or roll over it a couple times) like with a metal plate.