Note 4 on the maintenance schedule

I noticed the maintenance schedule says “(4) If towing a trailer, using a camper or a car-top carrier, or driving on rough or muddy roads, change (not just inspect) oil at every 30,000 miles (48,000 km or 24 months except for L.S.D. Change L.S.D. gear oil every 15,000 miles (24,000 km) or 12 months.”

My question is, and I’m assuming a “car-top carrier” is a roof rack or cargo box of some sort, does this note 4 apply or matter if the “car-top carrier” isn’t fully loaded?

I ask because usually my roof rack is empty except for the summer when I can afford to go on a camping trips the length of typically 400-700 miles of driving. The rest of the year I’m just daily driving it.

Thanks for the input Set_2_smile.gif

Take it as bad advice or not, I have been doing this for a while, but I have never followed the recommended intervals for changing oil. Especially if you're dealing with time variable. The properties of the oil didn't change over the course of 24 months if you didn't put squat on it for miles unless you have some kind of contaminant in the oil. If you're dunking the rear end in a lake because you're towing a boat, or going through low water crossings routinely, You might want to change or inspect more frequently.

For a while now, I have been simply topping off some of the fluids because it leaks from A, B, or C. There are a few exceptions where you might want to be a little more diligent, but the auto manufacturers have always been pretty liberal on how frequently you should change the fluids. 

The rear differential with an LSD might be a different story and require a bit more attention if you're putting a lot of miles on it. Mine does chatter, but the rig is also 31 yearl old and has 315K miles on it and I'm pretty sure everything in there is original, or at least it was when I got it... I changed the fluid when I replaced the pinion seal 9 years ago because it was leaking. Now I have a leaking rear wheel seal and the fluid will get changed after I get that done as well because the bearing grease has probably contaminated the oil.

As mentioned, a roof top carrier isn't adding much to the load. It probably matters more if you're pushing the load capacity of the vehicle when you're driving it, rather than just the carrier alone.

• Like 1

For Nissan Vehicles its good practice to go ahead and change the Diff Oil and Transmission oil(both auto and manual) every 30K. Simply helps keep things fresh and extends the life of all the parts

Edited by Frenchy
  • Like 1

If you don’t off-road or tow anything you can probably go longer on the differentials. Especially with the higher quality of todays lubricants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Even with the higher quality of lubricants today Nissan still recommends every 30K for the Diff and Transmission for vehicles today. That said not many folllow it because many have the mindset that "maintenance is a scam!".

• Like 1

It's easy to forget about the diffs. They don't need attention very often, so they get put off and forgotten about. For the most part, they seem to hold up alright anyway, so long as the oil doesn't leak out, water doesn't leak in, and you don't beat the hell out of them. Like most things, the diff will probably last longer and run better if you keep good lube in it, but it's not gonna turn into the other kind of pumpkin if you don't adhere to the schedule exactly.

Reminds me, I should change the oil in my front diff at some point. For all I know, it's been in there since the truck left Kyushu. :unsure: 

• Like 1

On 3/7/2023 at 7:42 PM, Frenchy said:

Even with the higher quality of lubricants today Nissan still recommends every 30K for the Diff and Transmission for vehicles today. That said not many folllow it because many have the mindset that "maintenance is a scam!".

That's like the people that never do the brake fluid or transmission fluid changes and then wonder why they are always replacing stuck or leaking calipers and have to get the trans rebuilt every 75k.

I have also notice these are the same people who call dealerships "stealerships".

Edited by adamzan

10 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

It's easy to forget about the diffs. They don't need attention very often, so they get put off and forgotten about. For the most part, they seem to hold up alright anyway, so long as the oil doesn't leak out, water doesn't leak in, and you don't beat the hell out of them. Like most things, the diff will probably last longer and run better if you keep good lube in it, but it's not gonna turn into the other kind of pumpkin if you don't adhere to the schedule exactly.

Reminds me, I should change the oil in my front diff at some point. For all I know, it's been in there since the truck left Kyushu. :unsure: 

At least these rigs the front diff has probably been so sparingly used since they don't turn with the hubs unlocked.