Going to Look at `96 This Evening...

It is a craigslist find here in Alabama, and since I am a would-be first time Pathfinder owner, I wanted to know what to watch out for... The car is an SE with manual trans, loaded with all of the options from 1996, including leather, and it has 223,000+ miles on it. The owner states that the car is mechanically sound, and has said that he replaced the timing belt @ 205,000.

Now I originally migrated to this forum as I was looking at getting a WD21 Pathfinder, but this R50 has really struck a nerve... so if there is anything to lookout for, please let me know. I think first and foremost, will be the rear suspension to see if there is anything that would cause the Pathfinder to wiggle at highway speeds etc. Any advice would be much appreciated!

The more I read up on recorded issues and known issues the `96 Pathfinder, the more I am leaning towards steering clear of one. Can my fears be unfounded? The rear sway issue alone is giving me the willies! Not that this particular ride has the problem... but inheriting in the future would suck!

The rear sway issue is easily correctable by replacing the links, whose bushings don't last forever. Expect any high-mileage vehicle to require some work to replace wearable suspension parts. Optionally, with some additional labor, you can replace the rubber bushings with polyurethane bushings which will permanently solve the issue.

• Like 2

That is what I have been reading. The owners says that he has not noticed the issue, so we will see here in about 2-hours. I plan to make him drive the vehicle first, so I can see how he drives... and have him get up to highway speeds so I can put that demon to rest. I hope he is open to negotiation... here is the link to the ad.

https://huntsville.craigslist.org/cto/5565845668.html

Edited by DRAGON64
  • Like 1

No engine compartment pics? Hmmm. Be sure to check the engine compartment. You want to see a clean engine compartment, no valve cover gasket leaks. Check condition of belts, hoses. Check level and color of motor oil, PS fluid, brake fluid, ATF. Check under the chassis for leaking engine seals, transmission, transfer case and differential.

• Like 1

I'm back now, and I am happy to say that I was not disappointed with what I saw. Everything worked as it should, with no major malfunctions or gotchas... Even managed 70-miles an hour without any booty wobble. We did open the hood, in fact we crawled nearly every inch of this Pathfinder...

20160502_190501_zps99mfjlh7.jpg

Other than requiring an oil change, the engine compartment was in great condition...

20160502_190439_zpszg1fbdqx.jpg

The only disappointment was this little [atch of rust in the rear bumper... Sorry for the blurry image.

20160502_190518_zps9j24h66b.jpg

Looks like a clean rig. Bumper rot doesn't look too bad. I assume you checked the strut towers?

The death wobble is pretty well documented and not the end of the world to fix. If you're concerned about it, you could replace the bushings as preventative maintenance. I think it also depends a lot on how the truck's been used. A rig that's been wheeled heavily will have more wear on those bushings than a rig that only sees 4x4 when it snows. My '93 has higher mileage and the original (so far as I know) bushings and rides fine.

My concern would be with the timing belt. PO says he's had it for 125k so he should've replaced it at least once in that time frame. If not, it's due (and might help you talk the price down).

• Like 1

He has done the timing belt twice. We saw a service record for the 2nd change at 205,000 miles. I did not see any rust in or on the towers, but we did not crawl those over inch by inch as we were pretty obstructed by the low light condition etc. I worry about the rust in the bumper, as my experience tells me that is usually the tip of the iceberg so to speak... but we did not find anymore rust other than surface here and there, especially the exhaust system.

We gave him a $100 retainer so that he would not sell it until we could make a full positive decision on the purchase. The small area of rust is giving me some reason to pause...

That's not a bad spot. You can get rid of that pretty painlessly. Honestly that's in great shape.

I would go for it. But then again i bought my 96 with more miles and in worse shape.

• Like 1

This `96 is in really nice shape, what with all the years of nicks, bumps scratches and rust (spot)... KBB, based on what I deem the condition of the car to be in, says $1700 bux, so a used car loan will be off the table. If I really want this deal, I will need to secure a signature loan. If I go sig loan, I would have to make the loan for a little more than the asking price, as I will need to put 5-new tires on this car. The 4 on the ground still have some life left, but the spare is dry rotted... might as well start with fresh peace of mind.

Then again, I could grow some patience and see if something else will come along... kind of roll the dice and see if a better deal will come along. A co-worker told me that yesterdays $1000 used car, is todays $5000 car, and he thinks the deal is good, and I should go for it.

Speaking of tires, I was looking at either factory 265/70R15's or 31/10.5 15s... Since I am new to the world of 4x4's, and have chosen the Pathfinder to make the leap, I would like to make as many "right" decisions as possible. As I start to convert my base vehicle over to a real nice budget-build off-road vehicle, yet still use it as my daily, I will not have much room for trial and error... does that make sense?

Hopefully with the bank on my side, I am going to get this Pathfinder... The drive experience was far better than my 1998 Dodge Dakota (192,000mi).

Admittedly I overlooked the strut towers when looking for rust... I have a new appointment to see the vehicle again, and as luck would have it, the bank gave me the money. I should be the next owner of an `96 R50. More to post when I know it. Thanks for the help and suggestions... can those NPORA stickers still be had? I'll need one for this Pathfinder... assuming of course that the strut towers have no cancer.

I will be sure to get a quote off of fleurys website for an NPORA sticker, thanks. So, before I went, I printed off the Carfax for the vehicle, which indicated that there was an open recall for the car. It was the recall for rust in the left strut tower, otherwise, the Carfax was squeaky clean... As were the strut towers when I looked them over before buying the Car last night. Yes, it is official, I am now a new Pathfinder owner. I will need to do some running around tomorrow to register the car with the sate, and get insurance, otherwise she is all mine.

We are expecting some awesome a55ed weather this upcoming weekend, and I have lots planned for the Pathfinder... servicing and detailing etc etc etc Can't wait!

• Like 2

Thanks, that is the plan... I love gett'n new toys. Now that I have one, I am seeing different Pathfinders all over the place now... never quite realized just how popular these vehicles were over the years.

Seen in this image, I was peeling off the dried and cracked window deflectors, and as luck would have it, chunks of the window seal on both rear windows came off with the stick'em used to hold the deflectors on...

20160502_190501_zps99mfjlh7.jpg

Any idea where to start looking for these channels? The ones I have found were something north of $130 each side... I'm tempted to just touch up the seal, and put new deflectors back on... Any help would be much appreciated.

Edited by DRAGON64
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nice Pathy! I like not seeing any body rust. If I were you I would go ahead and try to touch up the seal. If it doesn't work, what have you lost? It's worth a shot, and if it works it was free.

Thanks, I have new deflectors in hand, as well as a little silicon sealant (for the bad tears). I have managed to get all of the old seal tape off from the original deflectors, now the Pathfinder is ready to take on the new deflectors.