BT adapter? (Torque for android)

patqx4

Does anybody in R50 land run torque for android via Bluetooth obd2 adapter? I need a recommendation for an adapter. I tried a cheap ELM327 clone adapter from eBay, no dice. I just want it to work now and am looking for any known working adapter with torque + R50.

Does anybody in R50 land run torque for android via Bluetooth obd2 adapter? I need a recommendation for an adapter. I tried a cheap ELM327 clone adapter from eBay, no dice. I just want it to work now and am looking for any known working adapter with torque + R50.

I've tried to use ELM+Torque on my Path, but it doesn't work. I think, it happens because ELM doesn't know our protocol. Now I use USB adapter with OBD ScanTech on my laptop, but still searching adapter, that can work with android via BT.

Now i using adapter like this:

http://ru.aliexpress.com/item/8Pcs-lot-ELM327-OBD-Decoder-Code-Reader-Vehicle-Fault-Detector-14Pin-For-Nissan-Auto-Diagnostic-Consult/32248280442.html?spm=2114.031020208.3.11.ehmFEd&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_4,searchweb201644_3_79_78_77_82_80_62,searchweb201560_4

• Like 1

I've tried to use ELM+Torque on my Path, but it doesn't work. I think, it happens because ELM doesn't know our protocol. Now I use USB adapter with OBD ScanTech on my laptop, but still searching adapter, that can work with android via BT.

Now i using adapter like this:

http://ru.aliexpress.com/item/8Pcs-lot-ELM327-OBD-Decoder-Code-Reader-Vehicle-Fault-Detector-14Pin-For-Nissan-Auto-Diagnostic-Consult/32248280442.html?spm=2114.031020208.3.11.ehmFEd&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_4,searchweb201644_3_79_78_77_82_80_62,searchweb201560_4

Thanks man, I've been using a similar setup with OBDwiz+laptop for years, it works well for pulling codes.

I would like to have torque instead for a couple reasons, first being that I always have my phone with me, and never my laptop unless I'm home, so there's the convenience.

The second reason is viewing live data. The main thing s I'd like to be able to keep an eye on are engine coolant temp and trans temp.

I remember towncivilian talking about using it with his 01, but he hasn't been active for a long time, or I would ask him...

Can't help specifically with the BT+Torque question (I use wifi+DashCommand on iOS), but when I was looking for a suitable adapter, my experience is that wifi is a much easier protocol to work with.

I use a VGate iCar2 adapter and have not had any problems with it. It comes in both wifi and BT flavors, and I believe it had some pretty good reviews for different devices and apps.

The reasons I went with wifi:

1. I use BT to stream to my radio and for handsfree. With wifi, I can connect to both without interrupting anything. However, since it's a wifi connection without internet access, I can't use other apps that need internet connections.

2. I have a garage computer with a 2nd wifi adapter and the DashCommand windows application, so I can use my computer to diagnose my vehicles wirelessly. Yes, BT can do this, but again, wifi is a far simpler protocol to work with.

As for the transmission temp, do you have a PID for it (I think that's what it's called)? That's one thing I've been wanting to monitor, but none of the PIDs I've tried return any data.

• Like 1

I picked mine up from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products%C2%AE-Bluetooth-diagnostics-Android/dp/B005NLQAHS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1450315763&sr=8-1&keywords=bluetooth+obd2

This is a slightly newer version. Mine is from early 2013 and finally dying. But for ~$22 cant beat it. Works with Torque no problems. Able to read all the sensors that our ECM will allow to be read from OBD2.

• Like 1

Can't help specifically with the BT+Torque question (I use wifi+DashCommand on iOS), but when I was looking for a suitable adapter, my experience is that wifi is a much easier protocol to work with.

I use a VGate iCar2 adapter and have not had any problems with it. It comes in both wifi and BT flavors, and I believe it had some pretty good reviews for different devices and apps.

The reasons I went with wifi:

1. I use BT to stream to my radio and for handsfree. With wifi, I can connect to both without interrupting anything. However, since it's a wifi connection without internet access, I can't use other apps that need internet connections.

2. I have a garage computer with a 2nd wifi adapter and the DashCommand windows application, so I can use my computer to diagnose my vehicles wirelessly. Yes, BT can do this, but again, wifi is a far simpler protocol to work with.

As for the transmission temp, do you have a PID for it (I think that's what it's called)? That's one thing I've been wanting to monitor, but none of the PIDs I've tried return any data.

Interesting, I'm not at all familiar with iOS, so your post prompted some Google sleuthing. It looks like iPhone has BT pairing issues, so WiFi is the preferred choice on that platform. Not so with android, and from what I've read, pairing to multiple BT devices shouldn't pose a problem? I do use hands free calling, so I'll wait and see on that one.

About the transmission pid, not sure tbh, I thought there might be one because I've seen torque screenshots (on different vehicles) showing transmission temp guage. If we don't have one, bummer.

I picked mine up from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products%C2%AE-Bluetooth-diagnostics-Android/dp/B005NLQAHS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1450315763&sr=8-1&keywords=bluetooth+obd2

This is a slightly newer version. Mine is from early 2013 and finally dying. But for ~$22 cant beat it. Works with Torque no problems. Able to read all the sensors that our ECM will allow to be read from OBD2.

I found this thread last night, Dan.f posted a link to the same adapter, so thanks for confirming that, rebelord.

Amazon won't ship that item to Canada for some reason, so I found it on eBay instead.

Interesting, I'm not at all familiar with iOS, so your post prompted some Google sleuthing. It looks like iPhone has BT pairing issues, so WiFi is the preferred choice on that platform. Not so with android, and from what I've read, pairing to multiple BT devices shouldn't pose a problem? I do use hands free calling, so I'll wait and see on that one.

About the transmission pid, not sure tbh, I thought there might be one because I've seen torque screenshots (on different vehicles) showing transmission temp guage. If we don't have one, bummer.

Yeah, probably some BT issues. In general, I've never had problems with BT and iOS (I use it on three car stereos and a portable speaker), but the protocol doesn't support more than one devices simultaneously.

As for the temperature, I think it's vehicle dependent. In looking the list on my app, I don't see anything along...but then again, the list of PIDs seems to be very generic.

I finally have an Android tablet, so maybe I'll give Torque a chance.

I finally have an Android tablet, so maybe I'll give Torque a chance.

Sure, no harm in trying it out. You should be able to download the free version and use it with your WiFi adapter.

I use the ELM...something or another from Amazon, it works fine with my android phone. U have to sink it to your phone and then in torque if i recall. it was 30 bucks shipped from Amazon a few years ago, black plastic with blue sticker. I switched from torque to to OBD car doc, another free version of a similar app, it reads the O2 in my VW where as torque would not. but as far as the pathfinder, the ELM and torque worked fine. after it is synced to the phone, plug it into the OBD port and then turn the key to the on position, fire up torque and you should be good.

pat

Edited by fixinto
  • Like 1

I use the ELM...something or another from Amazon, it works fine with my android phone. U have to sink it to your phone and then in torque if i recall. it was 30 bucks shipped from Amazon a few years ago, black plastic with blue sticker. I switched from torque to to OBD car doc, another free version of a similar app, it reads the O2 in my VW where as torque would not. but as far as the pathfinder, the ELM and torque worked fine. after it is synced to the phone, plug it into the OBD port and then turn the key to the on position, fire up torque and you should be good.

pat

Pat, anyway you could show us which exact ELM you purchased? There are so many out there and the one I have works on my other vehicle, but not the Path. I know there are different versions.

Pat, anyway you could show us which exact ELM you purchased? There are so many out there and the one I have works on my other vehicle, but not the Path. I know there are different versions.

Yes sir, give me till tomorrow afternoon to get a pic of it and get it uploaded. Worked late so i didn't get the question till just now, sorry bout that.

Pat

was going to upload a pic of the elm, but i left my usb at work so that is a no go. I have the FW version and the numbers off the label though which is pretty much the same thing. it is as follows.

ELM327, Part # 1008 Firmware Revision: 1.5 Baud rate: 38.6k

hopefully that helps you out. Bought it off of Amazon 3 maybe 4 years ago for 30 bones to the door step.

Pat

I am still having issues, I tried using the bafx adapter linked above, torque won't even connect to the adapter now. Before, it would connect to the adapter but not the vehicle ecu.

try obd car doc. just DL the free version on your phone. Unpair the adapter from your phone, then re-pair it and try car doc. that way you at least know if it is the app or the adapter. If yours is a newer model nissan may have changed protocol. also, be sure the key is in the on position. thats all i have.

hope you get it working

pat

try obd car doc. just DL the free version on your phone. Unpair the adapter from your phone, then re-pair it and try car doc. that way you at least know if it is the app or the adapter. If yours is a newer model nissan may have changed protocol. also, be sure the key is in the on position. thats all i have.

hope you get it working

pat

Thanks brother :)

I got it working properly, reinstalling torque solved the connection issue. No transmission pid. I noticed there's one for miles traveled with trouble codes present, I'm assuming that's there so Nissan can deny warranty claims haha

I do, when I drive my wife's Pathfinder for more than just a toodle around town.

I use this OBDII Bluetooth adapter: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NLQAHS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

81XMO5AnLgL._SL1500_.jpg

Works great. Let me know if you have any more questions.

• Like 1

I do, when I drive my wife's Pathfinder for more than just a toodle around town.

I use this OBDII Bluetooth adapter: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NLQAHS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

81XMO5AnLgL._SL1500_.jpg

Works great. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Just ordered this one...what app do you use on your phone...I saw on amazon the app price can go from $0-60 what's that all about

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Just ordered this one...what app do you use on your phone...I saw on amazon the app price can go from $0-60 what's that all about

I use Torque Pro. I found it online for free, but they charge a small fee for it in the Play Store. The free version: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torquefree&hl=enis still very good, but obviously won't offer the full range of functions.

I'm not sure what you're referring to about the price range of the OBDII scanner.

P.S. Be sure you're aware that the OBDII scanner you ordered is not iOS compatible, so no iPhones or iPods will work. Only works with Android via Bluetooth connections.

I use Torque Pro. I found it online for free, but they charge a small fee for it in the Play Store. The free version: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torquefree&hl=enis still very good, but obviously won't offer the full range of functions.

I'm not sure what you're referring to about the price range of the OBDII scanner.

P.S. Be sure you're aware that the OBDII scanner you ordered is not iOS compatible, so no iPhones or iPods will work. Only works with Android via Bluetooth connections.

I have an android...and I got the scanner for the $25 but it was saying the app you use with it ranges between 0-60 I'm guessing just different features of the app? I saw the torque pro app that's what I'm gonna get