Ticking, clicking sound

CDN_S4

I hate these "ID this weird sound" threads since it's super hard to describe a sound, but I'm about to lose my mind with this one.

1. What it sounds like:

Imagine a small metal stick, maybe an inch or two, that's only attached at the one end, and sits between 2 pieces of sheet metal.

2. When I hear the sound:

Every time I drive over some bumps it clicks. It sounds like it's a lose piece somewhere but it's nothing mechanical. It doesn't sound heavy or weight bearing.

3. When I don't hear the sound:

Oddly enough, I've been able to temptation stop it by opening and closing my door as it sounds like it's coming from inside my door. But when I open the door and shake it, I can't reproduce the sound.

4. Where is it coming from?

It appears to come from the area by my left knee, maybe a lower. It seems like it would be inside the door but I can't seem to recreate the sound by shaking it. I've inspected under the steering wheel, inside the fender, in the door jamb, and there is nothing lose anywhere.

Has anybody else experienced this by any chance?!

Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May or may not be useful, but check your skid plates. I had the most obnoxious noise that I could not figure out, similar actions would temporarily stop it, and it turned out my transfer skid was lightly touching.

Love the layout of this thread, we should make everyone follow this thread style. maybe add "what I think it is", "what parts I've changed trying to kill this stupid noise".

As for being somewhat helpful, I'm not sure what I have to offer other than asking some probing question.

How you removed the door card and visually looked for damaged window parts, does the window work and function normally? I'm running on a hunch that something in the regulator might be broken.

Other than that, check all of the Trans, and diff mounts, Rob told me a whole ago that blown from diff mounts are a common issue on R50's but make a different sound that what I described to him. Still check it while your down there.

Keep us posted.

-Kyle

My kid dropped one of those plastic hotel room key cards down my door that was making a noise you describe. Probably not what happened to you. :laugh:

But my symptons matched your descriptions, so I'm guessing something loose in the door. Some guy posted this up at NiCO about a noise in his door: http://forums.nicoclub.com/what-is-this-inside-my-door-t601251.html

I replied with some info about the part. I had my door apart the other day (to get that key card) and couldn't see a part like that in mine..or maybe wasn't looking at the right angle.

Yeah your reply sounds more like my clicking. But like I said it doesn't appear to come from the actual door as I can shake the door and it doesn't make a sound. It's only while driving. And only over rougher roads, not daily driving on "smooth" pavement. Also, I first heard this after my bumper was first installed.

Here is a list of things I thought it was, but wasn't:

1- the grab strap of the winch hook flopping in the wind against the truck.

2- my fog light wires flopping in the wind, against the truck.

3-something hanging lose inside the wheel well or between the door.

I haven't taken the door apart yet, I've tried last night without doing any research on how to take it apart and didn't get very far. I took the screw out of the door handle and lifted the window buttons assembly out. Behind it I saw some bolts behind a see through plastic layer, and no other obvious screws or bolts. I also tried to pry the upper plastic off, as it appears to be separate from the rest, but I think I popped out a screw so I stopped. So haven't gotten into the door yet. I'm just not convinced it's inside there. I'm going to check all heat shields and skids today.

I had a customer with a noise that was in this real. Ended up being the door check. When closed it flopped a bit. Open the door and the shake it, nothing. Because it now had tention on it. Took me daysssss to figure it out. It haunts me to this day...

Sent from my LGMS395 using Tapatalk

The door check is the thing between the hinges that limits how far the door can open. Incidentally, my black Pathy had a nasty popping noise when closing the driver's door, which turned out to be the bit in the door that the check slides through missing one of its mounting bolts. It would bend inwards when I went to shut the door, bind up, and pop free again. One new bolt, problem solved. I wonder how long the PO ignored it. :lol:

But yeah, my money's on the linkages in the door. Rattling on bumps sounds like it's an up-and-down rattle, not a horizontal rattle like you're testing for opening and closing it. I would pull the door card and try to rattle the linkages by hand, maybe even drive it with the door card off and see if putting a finger on one thing or another shuts it up.

Mine makes a noise similar to that. When I went to 33s I had to trim a little by the front of the door in the fender. That created a hole that can push air through my door jam and it makes that exact noise. The bolt on the lowest point holding the fender on was loose. I tightened and now it only happens when I'm going 80 lol

Interesting!! I will have to check that out! It does ineed seem like wind causes it as well, which is why I used to think it was a fog light cable flopping in the wind.