Body lift on a rusty body.

Chadius

i just want to know how vulnerable the body mounts are to seasonal rust, my pathfinder is pretty rusty I'm just wondering if it would be safe (or worth it) to try and put a body lift on my pathy I'm just not sure where the mounts are and don't know if they are super rusty or not, can anybody on the rust coast share some experience from your lifts that would really give me some confidence to do it.

For where the mounts are - there are several threads on this site that go through the process.

The simpler method is to look under the right and left sides of your rig. There are 5 on each side.

As far as difficulty/rust issue. I don't live on the rust coast, and had to grind the heads off of two bolts that were frozen. Once that was done I was able to pull them out from above.

The tricky ones are the rear, as they screw into captive nuts that are welded under the rear floor pan. Sometimes the spot welds break and allow the nuts to spin - but there are threads on this site that show the location to cut, so that you can access the nut.

My R50's frame is pretty rusty too. But as soon as you start scratching at it, hopefully you will be able to uncover some shiny stuff and you should be good to go. Otherwise if it is rotten through you are have a much bigger problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silly rabbit, frames are for WD21s. (We don't have them on the R50. :D)

Like Harbinger said, best crawl around and look. My opinion is that if it doesn't look like even the body should be supported on the frame, chances are the body lift won't be any better. But, if you look around each perch, you'll quickly tell the condition.

Technicalities...maybe we do don't have a body sitting on the frame as it is part of the unibody. But there is still a frame. Because mine is really rusty lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well it really depends how bad the rusted parts are. Usually people would solve rust infestation before installing any type of suspension upgrade. Spraying rubberized undercoat would usually solve this.

Prepare for most of the bolts to break, and have to cut into the floor to grind the captive nuts off. The steering shaft will be seized on, making it a bitch to move when you lift the body, plus if you're brake lines aren't in the best of shape up front, prepare to replace those.