Auto customizers suspension lift

oilman

I installed an AC 3in suspension lift in my 90 pathy.

my package came with the 3in rear coils too. after installing the lift and indexing the torsion bars I only got about 1.75in of lift in the front, but gat almost 4 in the back. I have the bump stops within 1/2" of the arms like it said, but still I don't even get 2" of added height.

I called AC and all they could say was that the kit should give 3 in of lift over stock. anybody have this lift in their rig, and have same problem?

Also I am adding a 3 in body lift to the truck, any help on possible tire sizes would be great. I have the fender flares and mud flaps off and will cut the fenders if necessary.

I would like to fit 35s, but wonder if they would work or not. perhaps maybe 34x13.5s. would backspacing or wheel spacers help with the fit.

lastly i'd like a little wider track so would spacers be the way to go?

thanks!

35's would be pushing it even with major trimming. 33's are definitely doable but your gas mileage will suffer (as you probably know). Unless you're doing some serious stuff, some nice 31s ought to work. There's been some discussion recently about tire sizes, as well as in the past. Look around some. Backspacing is the way to get your wheels to stick out more... but then you may run into rubbing issues.

In my experience:

32's fit with some rubbing standard.

33's fit with a 2" suspension lift, some minor guard modification with a hammer, and a 2" body lift.

You could fit 35's in theory, if you got the body up high enough. You would have to run a big offset(back spacing) to keep your current turning radius.

I think with out all the fancy steering accessories, 33's are not a good idea, but don't let me put you off!!

I have photos and video's of my Terrano with the big tyres on going up river beds and rocky climbs, and you can see the flex in the center link etc, at times both wheels are facing each other, then splayed out from each other, only slightly, but still!!

i lifted mypath with the same lift kit you got. i added new torsion bars to crank em up for the "3 inches i don't think i have 3inches in front, maybe 2.75. again, that's with a thicker torsion bar and the uca it came with. and of course the deal with them bumbstops.

Don't even think about using wheel spacers... doing it through the correct backspacing is the only way to go, IMO. Seems to me I've seen disclaimers or warnings regarding using spacers either with alloy wheels or for offroad use. That would be enough for me to stay away from them... my .02 -thnkboutit-

Just a thought, are you sure your Pathy started of at stock height in the first place? Coulda been cranked up by the previous owner without your knowledge, so you baseline measurements would be off from the stock height.

hi oilman, I installed the same kit, only I put calmini springs in the back. My truck was sitting REALLY low in the front end on stock t-bars. I got a similar amount of lift to mudfinder (2.5-3") Like pickles said, it depends on how your truck was sitting before you installed the lift kit. You can swap out your old rubber bumpstops for some urethane replacements from Energy Suspension and that will give you .5-1" of extra travel.

hi oilman, I installed the same kit, only I put calmini springs in the back. My truck was sitting REALLY low in the front end on stock t-bars. I got a similar amount of lift to mudfinder (2.5-3") Like pickles said, it depends on how your truck was sitting before you installed the lift kit. You can swap out your old rubber bumpstops for some urethane replacements from Energy Suspension and that will give you .5-1" of extra travel.

Thanks for all the responses and input!

The truck has been in the family since new (was my parents), and has not been altered since new. It was in a bad accident (telephone pole) almost 9 years ago, but there wasn't suspension work done that I know, but perhaps there was. and as best as I can recall, the height was the same as it was when new.

Skrilla I have thought of altering the bumpstops to get an extra .5 inches, do you know a supplier for those bumpstops from energy?

I have the rear seats out of the truck (bad rot under the rear seat that reqeired seriuous patching, so I just left the rear seats out for good), so I bet that accounts for the rear being so high even with the tire carrier I have.

I run black steel wheels right now, and I think the back spacing is about 4-4.5.

Sounds like the 35s are out of the question, but what about 33x13.5?

I know of the havoc this will wreak on my steering and will upgrade as neccesary.

lastly, anybody know when calmini plans on releasing their SAS package???

thanks all

I found mine at a local speed shop. They cost around 15-20 canadian for each side. If you can't find them, I think you can order them from 4x4parts.com. Stupid-easy to install too. the worst case scenario is having to flex the suspension to get the upper bumpstops enough clearance to remove and replace. There's photos of my installation in the garage section somewhere.

Edited by skrillaguerilla

I found mine at a local speed shop. They cost around 15-20 canadian for each side. If you can't find them, I think you can order them from 4x4parts.com. Stupid-easy to install too. the worst case scenario is having to flex the suspension to get the upper bumpstops enough clearance to remove and replace. There's photos of my installation in the garage section somewhere.

hey thanks I found them at AC

look here:

4x4 parts.com bumpstops

those are the "ultra low profile" ones, and there are "low profile" available too.

I'd get the low profile ones. I don't trust the thickness of the ultra low profile. Better to lose a 1/4 inch of travel instead of possibly ruining your new suspension components during a really hard drive.