7 day build throw down.

greenda3

Gear oil has an LSD additive? Sounds like some of the pieces may in fact be broken.

I have both LSD and open H233B diffs, as well as Lokka'd and open R200 diffs in my garage at the moment. I also have a full H233B axle. B) What would you like to see?

I don't really feel like taking the LSD apart to be honest...I've taken it apart more times than I care for already. But, I could easily get some pics of what I've got and pull in some pics from the internet to describe everything one might need to know about rebuilding or swapping them. Candidate for a How-To?

Ya I changed the oil in it with added additive and I do think it's broken. I just really want to know what I'm getting into before I dig myself a whole.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Ya I changed the oil in it with added additive and I do think it's broken. I just really want to know what I'm getting into before I dig myself a whole.

Probably going to want to dig that hole sooner rather than later. The 'good' news is that if it's a broken disc or plate, it'll likely stay in the stack and carrier...but it's got potential to worsen as pieces grind down or fragment further.

But as mentioned above, if there's major damage, you can just drop in another diff and be done with it.

I'll see about putting up some diff tech how-to's later tonight to not clutter this build. I owe CDN_S4 a walkthrough on changing drum brakes anyway.

Probably going to want to dig that hole sooner rather than later. The 'good' news is that if it's a broken disc or plate, it'll likely stay in the stack and carrier...but it's got potential to worsen as pieces grind down or fragment further.

But as mentioned above, if there's major damage, you can just drop in another diff and be done with it.

I'll see about putting up some diff tech how-to's later tonight to not clutter this build. I owe CDN_S4 a walkthrough on changing drum brakes anyway.

Sweet. I'm sure we all would be willing to sit through a how to for it. I have some good ?'S to ask.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

The LSD works better when you slightly engage the park brake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They sure do. Trick the old boy into thinking both tires are planted. Yes ill always have 1:1 for street driving. I wont build anything i cant drive cross country.

Sent from my LGMS395 using Tapatalk

596c66a8fc8b75512900faf1ecf12a94.jpgcbc6e301ee1430315ee83f734d26fc2f.jpg

Got the 33s on it today. Man does it change the look! Rides better too. Time to trim a bit before i hit the trails. The rub is not too bad but bad enough to fix it.

• Like 1

why does the top dent look like it originated from the inside? :blink:

Thats called an intrusion bar. The sheet metal gets pushed in around it and once the damage is done it ends up with a high spot. Not a big deal to fix, however, i fix dents all day. So ill let the body on this truck be. It wont be the last! Heres one more angle just because im stoked!

49b88fc7bb7bf5ff018bba0ea6ba0b1a.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Had my first hardcore outting today in the nissan. Im pleased to report it blew everyone away with the trails we made it down. My buddies pipe buggy had a fuel pump fail, so we piled in the nissan and made it down a few level 4 trails and some nasty 3s with huge climbs. Ill retreive pics from my friends tomorrow. Its funny how you dont get pics of your own rig as your busy keeping it together..

• Like 1

Had my first hardcore outting today in the nissan. Im pleased to report it blew everyone away with the trails we made it down. My buddies pipe buggy had a fuel pump fail, so we piled in the nissan and made it down a few level 4 trails and some nasty 3s with huge climbs. Ill retreive pics from my friends tomorrow. Its funny how you dont get pics of your own rig as your busy keeping it together..

I'm a beginner 4wheeler, the second time I took mine out I was with my brother in law that has experience, he pointed me to a hill, told me it will make it so I put on my "brown pants" and went for it. I was dumbfounded that it made it easily. When I tell people, it's like telling a "tall tail" that is actually true! Huge respect for these humble little 4wheelers.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Ive bern into anything with wheels my whole life. Ive had very few stock trucks behave like this one. All it has is some used bfg 33 at kos and it was following built jks on over 35s around all day long. Had winch out once but i kinda planned that to test the homebuilt bumpers limits. All held up great. I def need some belly armor however. Rocks in texas are sharp!!

• Like 1

Some people have built their own using steel, aluminum and HPLE (did I get that acronym right?)

I'm interested in knowing what thickness of each material is sufficient, without being thicker than necessary and when it's all said and done, what the relative costs of each approach are.

All the basic info that I need to make the best choice for my application too.

• 2 weeks later...

So i swapped in some new cv shafts today for tomorrows all day scavenger hunt at our local wheeling park. Now my front right caliper is hanging up bad. 10 min drive and its pouring smoke. I took it apart and all looks great. Any ideas?

Based on the description of smoke and the question of honing the caliper, I'm thinking he meant that it didn't release clamping force.

That, along with the onset immediately after an axle swap has me suspecting the caliper hung from the brake hose, or fell once, damaging the hose internally.