7 day build throw down.

greenda3

They got it quite straight now. No more pain killers and i feel great. Started lifting some weights agsin too. My desk job made me soft! Aug 22nd a few of us are going out so ill get some feedback and testing on the truck in some level 3-4 trails. Hope to have lockers installed by then. Anyone here have a lunchbox in the rear? Id like some real world input on these..

Sent from my LGMS395 using Tapatalk

They got it quite straight now. No more pain killers and i feel great. Started lifting some weights agsin too. My desk job made me soft! Aug 22nd a few of us are going out so ill get some feedback and testing on the truck in some level 3-4 trails. Hope to have lockers installed by then. Anyone here have a lunchbox in the rear? Id like some real world input on these..

What year is your truck?

As far as I can tell, there are lunchbox lockers available if your rear end is NOT an LSD rear AND you have the 31 spline axles (I think that the R50s have 33 splines or there was a change-over during the R50 model run).

If you have 33 spline axles, it seems as though an ARB air locker (or a factory LSD) are your only options for the rear.

For the front, you can get a Lokka locker (lunchbox style locker).

I actually have one of these on order at the moment.

I'm hoping that someone that is certain about these details will drop in and either confirm or deny what I've said. I would like a Powertrax or similar locker for my rear but am afraid it's not available for my '97.

Mine is a lsd rear. Splines i dont know. 4.34 ratio i think. My front will get welded up since i have locking hubs. I know some guys dont like that but my jeep went ten years weleded up trouble free. Arb are crazy $$$ for my budget. I may just tighten up the lsd and call it a day.

Glad to hear, Bud!

Mine is a lsd rear. Splines i dont know. 4.34 ratio i think. My front will get welded up since i have locking hubs. I know some guys dont like that but my jeep went ten years weleded up trouble free. Arb are crazy $$$ for my budget. I may just tighten up the lsd and call it a day.

hawarish (pretty sure that is how it is spelled) just rebuilt his LSD rear and posted a lot of good info that should help...

hawairish

B

Sorry Bud, but I almost got the name right. ;)

Edited by Precise1

hawarish (pretty sure that is how it is spelled) just rebuilt his LSD rear and posted a lot of good info that should help...

Just pull one from an early X/Frontier and swap the ring gear over. It'd have been a whole lot easier. But yes, I just rebuilt a pair of them (several times) to see what numbers I could end up with...after driving it around on dry and wet pavement, it feels awesome. Open diff and 4.363 to LSD and 4.636. Huge difference.

Also, your project is coming along nicely! That bumper is slick!

My rear is lsd. Its just super weak.

Not unless you need a gear change.

You can simply remove your LSD and reassemble it with the shims stacked differently to get a tighter break-away torque...thereby giving you a better performing LSD that behaves closer to the way an locker would.

In my case, I do not have an LSD and would need to swap the center chunk from a donor with LSD....if the gearing matches my current truck, nothing else need be done.

But when I do make the change I want different gearing, so I will also need the matching from diff from the donor truck.

Hawairish, can you confirm for me what I stated above is correct? ie. there is no locker available for my '97 pathfinder except for the ARB?

Or Precise1?

If there is a Powertrax option, I would probably get that.

If not, then I will hunt down an LSD and reshim it.

I am pretty sure this is the case, but I'm not the last word; I have not locked/investigated an R50 so my information is from memory and second hand at best.

That said, I doubt hawairish would have messed around that much if there was an off the shelf option that was reasonably priced. Good news though, he has told you how to do it... ;)

B

All I can say or believe that the previous owner of my 96 messed with the lsd to tighten the clutches

And now it whines,clanks,pops and makes all kind of noise. Try pulling a tight 360 and the tires churpe like baby bird and not in the good way. It's actually is binds so hard it sounds like it's going to break. If you do decide to open it up please video it. Many here would like to see it taken apart.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

All I can say or believe that the previous owner of my 96 messed with the lsd to tighten the clutches

And now it whines,clanks,pops and makes all kind of noise. Try pulling a tight 360 and the tires churpe like baby bird and not in the good way. It's actually is binds so hard it sounds like it's going to break. If you do decide to open it up please video it. Many here would like to see it taken apart.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Id be glad too. Its on my short list after the front weld up and rebuild.

Here we go!...

So pull the chunk out of a frontier and swap ring gears set lash and go?!

Yup. The H233B doesn't use shims either; it has side adjusters that you twist to set lash. Rugged Rocks sells a tool...I ended up making my own out of scrap aluminum channel and rivets...though I guess I never updated that thread, did I?

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/40242-h233b-side-bearing-adjustment/

My rear is lsd. Its just super weak.

Yup. All the R50s are weak compared to other Nissan configs that have existed. But eventually, even X and Frontiers wussed out.

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/40280-was-the-factory-lsds-breakaway-torque-any-good/?p=758726

Not unless you need a gear change.

You can simply remove your LSD and reassemble it with the shims stacked differently to get a tighter break-away torque...thereby giving you a better performing LSD that behaves closer to the way an locker would.

In my case, I do not have an LSD and would need to swap the center chunk from a donor with LSD....if the gearing matches my current truck, nothing else need be done.

But when I do make the change I want different gearing, so I will also need the matching from diff from the donor truck.

Again, no shims per se, but the stacks are thickened by using 'adjusting' pieces that you exchange with existing pieces (MY1PATH ground down extra pieces to essentially create a shim). Different H233Bs had different plate/disc combinations and thicknesses of those parts. Check the table in the above link. On my diffs (I rebuilt two of them), I not only changed the plate/disc ratio, but I also thickened things up. At some point, I was well over 300 ft-lbs, but it was beyond what I could measure.

If you need a gear change...just swap the entire 3rd member in! That's it...however...you're limited to only R50 front diffs if you do. That essentially means only 4.363 or 4.636 gears (and in greenda3's case, there's no point). R&Ps from any other R200 are low-pinions; R50s use high-pinions. The gears aren't interchangeable, and neither is the entire axle.

01-04 X/Frontiers had 4.363 and 4.636 gears like the R50 (older R50s had 4.636, newer 4.363, btw). You could get aftermarket gears (at $500/set!), but you'd need absolute confirmation that they're cut specifically for an R50 axle, otherwise you'll be thoroughly pissed when you try to install the carrier into the case and realize they can't mesh.

But yes, the nice part about having an existing LSD is that it may be a parts donor for the implant LSD, particularly if any thinner pieces are used, any pieces are worn, or if the plate/disc ratio isn't optimal (but this isn't the case for any "good" LSDs). In the case of R50 LSDs, you will definitely have friction plates that have seen no wear because there isn't a friction disc between them. Those make for perfect replacements. You'll want a micrometer (calipers work) to check for nominal thicknesses. A donor might cost as much as new plates and discs (~$30/ea) to rebuild/re-pack your current LSD...but at this point, I think I may have exhausted the national inventory of thicker pieces, so consider finding a donor. :D

Hawairish, can you confirm for me what I stated above is correct? ie. there is no locker available for my '97 pathfinder except for the ARB?

Or Precise1?

If there is a Powertrax option, I would probably get that.

If not, then I will hunt down an LSD and reshim it.

Nope, TJM also makes an air locker. Personally, I like the TJM from a mechanical perspective, and it's also a little cheaper.

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/39656-tjm-pro-locker

Word on the street is that the lunchbox locker from SteeevO at RR is still a real possibility. I had expressed interest to him a few months back about buying a several of them if it meant helping meet any production quotas. I want to see that product come alive. I owed him a phone call to discuss it, got caught up in some heavy work travels and hours, and I flaked (sorry Steven!). I'd still like to commit to that, but I need some other projects completed to free up the budget. (Good story, bro.)

I am pretty sure this is the case, but I'm not the last word; I have not locked/investigated an R50 so my information is from memory and second hand at best.

That said, I doubt hawairish would have messed around that much if there was an off the shelf option that was reasonably priced. Good news though, he has told you how to do it... ;)

B

The 00-02 X or 01-02 Frontier H233B is the best off-the-shelf option. Spec'd at 138-180 ft-lbs and available in R50 gear ratios. If any pieces are the "thinner" pieces, the donor will improve those numbers. I tried to find one locally, but came up short for availability and price. I took a chance on an 03 X, and it ended up being the worst scenario to start with. Fortunately, it had the wrong gears so I was able to exchange it for an R50 axle that was a little better (and I bargained for a $50 discount for the exchange hassle).

• Like 1

Gear oil has an LSD additive? Sounds like some of the pieces may in fact be broken.

I have both LSD and open H233B diffs, as well as Lokka'd and open R200 diffs in my garage at the moment. I also have a full H233B axle. B) What would you like to see?

I don't really feel like taking the LSD apart to be honest...I've taken it apart more times than I care for already. But, I could easily get some pics of what I've got and pull in some pics from the internet to describe everything one might need to know about rebuilding or swapping them. Candidate for a How-To?

Man youknow your nissan axles hawairish!!! I do have some new rinning gear in a taco ele locker rear end and dana 44 front. I may end up just doing the swap. I want 35s and a 4.88 gear range so sas may be the least work. I got boxes of heims and dom tube everywhere. For this year the lincoln locker up front may suffice.

Man youknow your nissan axles hawairish!!! I do have some new rinning gear in a taco ele locker rear end and dana 44 front. I may end up just doing the swap. I want 35s and a 4.88 gear range so sas may be the least work. I got boxes of heims and dom tube everywhere. For this year the lincoln locker up front may suffice.

My penalty for knowledge is the perma-smell of gear oil in my garages and nostrils.

SAS would be awesome. Though I'd think you'd be dogged with 35s @ 4.88, no?