How To Reprogram Your Keyless Entry/Alarm Remote

88pathoffroad

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest tonkatoy

Went to dealer the other day.it say to cycle ignition to on then back to off, then hold down the button once the alarm answers then let go of the button siren should the system should chirp every 1 sec intervals when you hear it press button on remote then do same with more remotes, once all remotes are programed cycle ignition on and off again it should work.

The biggest thing the service manager told me was the under the hood there is a plunger type switch that tells the alarm system that the hood is closed it is located on the firewall. He says that most all problems with programing remotes are the fault of this plunger switch not functioning right. Replace it the it should work.

• 2 months later...

Hi there, I'm new to the site and looking for an answer that's been niggling me for quite some time...

Pardon me if this is a stupid question, but do you have to have the console switch turned on when you're programming a remote? I'm a bit gunshy, because every time I've tried to turn it off manually (without a keyfob) it goes off and I have to deal with trying to get the blasted thing to turn off and dealing with the alarm sounding for several minutes.

Also, can you leave the alarm console switch on at all times?

Obviously, I've had no luck getting my new keyfob to program.... can anyone answer this question?

• 4 months later...

Hey Cy....

You can leave your console switch on at all times. It just allows you to have your alarm set at all times. If you have your keys with you when you open your doors and the light is flashing, just put your key in the ignition and turn until it shuts off. You are good to go. If having problems with your remote, do as previously mentioned and reprogram. Good luck! :aok:

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply! I have tried it when the light is flashing but the alarm goes off anyway! After that I either have to disconnect the battery or just wait it out...

My keyfob didn't come with the Pathfinder, but it's a factory original and should work. My question is, (and probably a stupid one, I know...) can you reprogram with the alarm switch set to the off position? :help:

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it's kind of a mute point now, as my Pathfinder is no more. :sniff: Some lady decided to pull out into the middle of traffic on Saturday and I plowed straight into her. The Pathy was totalled... but you should have seen the Lumina I hit. Looked like a wrecking ball slammed into it, and knocked it on its side. That Pathfinder was a tank!

On a good note, everyone walked away from the accident. On a BAD note, she didn't have any insurance, and my insurance pretty much fleeced me so I'm back to square one.

wow... that blows. I had to fight with my adjuster to get mine to NOT be totalled when I killed the jeep. In PA, a driver is required to have insurance. If they don't, they're facing fines and jail time. You can also file a lawsuit to recover your losses. You may never collect but you'll at least ruin them.

• 2 months later...

Well.. Not a huge problem, however..

Ive heard something about that plunger under the hood. I got that sorted.

Following the instructions, I get the alarm to chirp a bit (key off), and I get the 1 second "clicks". Pressing the button on the transmitter gets a tone from the box under the seat, and a small chirp from the horn.

Turn back on, then off again. I understand there is supposed to be a loud confirmation blast or something from the horn, which I do not get anything like that.

Needless to say, besides a loud blast, everything seems to go ok, but this thing is still not working.

How should I trouble shoot this thing? Where should I position the console switch? The power door locks all work, etc.

• 4 weeks later...

Is there any way to completely reset the whole alarm system?

The WD21 link isn't working right now, and I wanna get my alarm back to normal... the fuse has been unplugged for months now, because with it in, I can't start the damn truck!

• 1 month later...

Yeah I need to figure out how to completely reset it back to how it was from the factory... The damn immobilizer thing on mine is stuck on, so I can't start the truck.... Now I have the fuse out so I can actually drive it..

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...