Constantly replacing compression rod bushings

RCWD21

Ok guys I've gone through another set of the poly bushings since I last posted. They keep splitting at the seems.

So, a set in two months...

Are you installing them correctly, to the correct torque? Could you be getting defective bushings? Who makes them?

I don't believe I have ever heard of anyone else having this issue with poly bushings...

B

They're Moog brand. The set with the sleeves and bushings only. My washers are perfectly fine. Its always splitting at the seam. I've shortened a bushing to keep if from being deformed when everything is tightened up. And I'm not overtightening the nuts as far as I can tell, if I am its not by much. I started another thread dealing with the lower control arms, could you help me with that? I think once I replace the lower arms all my problems will be gone. I'd like to find a set as cheap as possible as funds are extremely low.

• 2 months later...

i just replaced mine last weekend and welded the bearing race and washer to the frame just like you did... It's only been a week but looking good so far... The only thing I could say is that the bearing race I used was LM67010... It fit just a little bit loose around the bushing

It's been a while since I ground a bushing down to the little mold line on the bottom of the pic but I've been through the woods and all over everywhere and the modified bushing is holding up. I still can't find a difference in the frame. I've measured everything probably 12 times now and I can't find anything our of whack on that side. It's strange but everything is holding up. When these bushings wear out I will be going to rubber though to see if there's a difference.

I don't get it either but I guess this is one of those "stupid fixes that just work" ya know? Lol this is the pickiest vehicle I've ever owned but it's never let me down so I'm happy :) now I just have to redo my lower CA bushings as I see to have messed one up when I got stuck. But the alignment is fine and it doesn't pull but I can go over bumps and stuff and through each bump the steering wheel will "center" itself at different spots like I'm turning to the right but going straight. The right front makes a clunk noise now considering that's the side that took the brunt off the force when I slid into that run going through a corner. Some days it will drive with the wheel centered and level and then I can turn a corner and it'll be off to the right a little. This happened probably 1000 miles ago now? I'm going to go to rubber bushings instead of poly in hopes of this not happening again lol although I rarely get stuck. Only been stuck 2 times in a year lol the first was me somehow getting back behind my dad's shop after it rained and it was so soft that when I got out I started to sink and I only weigh 125 lbs :P the other time was the rut..

I had trouble with those same Moog bushings wearing out PDQ. Granted I live in pothole city and I think its worse for these things hitting the potholes at night when you can't see em going 40 + mph than wheeling at lower speeds. The bushings just seemed kinda cheap. I got em of Feebay and they were probably some counterfeit aftermarket crap outta China is my suspicion. That said, the holes on mine are pretty hogged out.

I have not gone to all the trouble you have but I replaced them earlier this fall with a set of Autozone ones. Black but they are poly. So far so good. I think I paid less than 20 for the pair. fingers are stilled crossed that i get a year or two out of them.

Hmm. Is the trashed LCA bushing on the same side that keeps destroying the rod bushings? Might be some connection there... could have been worn out for a while before getting stuck finished it off.

Jack, I'll bet they'd last longer if you welded up the hoggage. I put the blue ones on my '95 ages ago, and the last time I was in there, they still looked alright. I'm hoping for similar longevity from the ones I just put in Rat Trap.

The problem bushing and LCA are on opposite sides and even that side is still ok. I think fixing the wholes helps a lot too. I used hardened washers back to back and welded them in and smoothed everything I could off. They're good now, just need the LCA bushings re done :/

To be honest when mine broke on me I just replaced both sides with new rods and moog bushings, never fixed any of the holes as I was really sick at the time with crohns, and they are still "okay". Should still get around to fixing the holes and cups though lol.

• 1 month later...

It's been a while but I finally have new RUBBER bushings in the box waiting to go in hopefully next weekend :) I'll take pics of the worn polly bushings once they're out..

Also found lower control arms on rockauto for $65.