Constantly replacing compression rod bushings

RCWD21

I replaced my compression rod bushings a few months ago and I'm on my second set on the drivers side. They keep mushrooming out from the rod. I've welded in the bearing races in place of the old cups. I need shocks and to replace my center link but I don't think that's causing the problem. The bushings are the blue Moog bushing. What would cause this? Oh and I replace the control arm bushings at the same time as these so there's no movement there.

Are you using the metal sleeve that keeps the nut from over squeezing the bushing?
Are you installing the washers Cup side AWAY from the bushing?
Is your LCA bushing in good condition?

I'm using the new sleeves and the holes are slightly wallered but nothing major. I have bearing races for the front cups. The washer things are cup side out and everything is tight like it should be. The hole on the driver side is in better shape than the passenger and the passenger side is perfectly fine. My control arm bushings are all poly now and there's no play in them whatsoever.

Sorry about not replying right away guys, I've been swamped with work. I can take a few pics tomorrow of the issue. And also an update on the bushings. The passenger side has also split but not that bad. My centerlink and tie rods are shot to hell and I've been trying to save up to get that fixed but I just had to replace my injectors so there went that money. When I hit a bump the wheel wobbles and when I turn my centerlink twists about 15°. Could a worn steering system be the whole cause of this? I have a second kit ready to go but I don't want to install it until I know for sure what the cause of the bushings splitting is. Sorry for the long winded post by the way. I'll post pics just as soon as I can

Well if the steering components are worn, you should replace them regardless...Maybe you're tightening them too much?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Well I can't overtighten them because of the collar and washers. They're not being squished except a very minuscule amount. Maybe 2 or 3 millimeters at the most. I'm ordering everything for the steering just shy of the steering box on monday. And then I'll take it just down the road to get an alignment. When I replace all the components I'm going to put in the new set of bushings. The kit I got didn't come with the new washers but the ones I have arent bad enough to cause this I would think :/

IMG_20150701_153525_127_zpsit8jopz8.jpg

Passenger side seems much better but it is also split inline with the rod. The two rods are at different angles because im parked on a slight bump on the driver side and I took the pic from a higher angle. The angle you see in this pic is how the rods are when I'm on flat level ground. Could they not be compressed enough or should I just use a different bushing? I've seen tons of people on here that have used them without issue. That's why I went with them in the first place. That and the bearing races as replacement bushing cups. This whole thing is just over my head but then that's why this forum is here :)

It looks like the race is pinching the bushing when the arm goes up and down. The OEM cups flare out a bit on the edges and are smoother. I know people have used these bearing races but I would grind that thing down a bit so it doesn't stick out as much...and make sure there are no sharp edges.

I'm going to grind down the bearing races a little bit. And I've been contemplating going to rubber bushings but I have another set of brand new poly bushings here already.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok guys if anyone's following this thread, I've replaced my ball joints and welded the holes for the compression rod bushings with some hardened washers to make the hole smaller and more centered and ground down the bearing race cups. I've noticed a problem on my driver side though. The bushing is muchrooming out but the passenger side isn't. Everything is straight and tight and I can't find anything bent. I'm trying to figure this issue out but any input would help

If this doesn't work I'm going back to rubber bushings as they're a little shorter but it still doesn't explains why one side is doing it and the other isn't.

Looking at the bearing races (from all possible angles), is there a difference in the angle they sit at? Basically, what I mean is it possible that one was not align properly when it was welded on and is now causing the bushing on that side to not seat properly all the way around.

I centered both races as best I could using an old compression rod washer to keep slag out of the inner race. They were lined up using the rear bushing cup. Its like one bushing is too thick and its being over compressed but I can't find anything that's bent or out of line :/ its driving me nuts! The frame is straight and nothing upfront shows any sign of damage other than the bumper right in the middle got pushed back a bit and some body damage but nothing to the frame or suspension. I'll take pics in the morning to show you exactly what I'm dealing with. If you look at my previous pictures you can see how shredded the old bushing was.

I also took the advice given and ground the bearing races off about half way and got everything as smooth as I possibily could with the tools I had on hand.

I don't doubt one bit that every attempt top align them right was taken, I just can't help but to think that the cause is somehow the alignment once assembled. with added pressure on just one side, "something" has to be out of alignment. To they eye everything may look right but just a single degree or even less depending on where could throw it all out of wack. And it really sounds like something is out of alignment. So the control arms bushing were uneven, or from under the truck (as best you can) do the arms look straight side to side and top to bottom?

Maybe take some measurements of various points from a fixed location and see if there is a difference between the sides or even have the alignment checked by a shop?

• Like 1

I was thinking the same thing and I measured as best I could various points all over underneath there and I couldn't find anything different. All the bushings are old a couple hundred miles old now and if something were bent with the lower control arm wouldn't it show its ugly head when I installed my torsion bars? From left to right the control arm bushings look straight. One thing I did notice but didn't pay much attention to was the lower control arm on the drivers side could be flexed forward about a 1/4 of an inch roughly but I think at the time I just chalked that up to me trying to pry the home into position to get the bolt in the compression rod. But once everything is in there it looks straight but I'm taking a closer look tomorrow when I'm under there again.

Edited by RCWD21