Where oh where has my LSV gone?

I was looking for the load-sensing brake valve under the pathfinder on the weekend and I cannot seem to locate it. Where exactly is that creature supposed to be?

1990 4x4 auto with disc brakes at all 4 wheels.

It would seem to me that it would be under the truck near the rear axle but I have nothing but an exhaust, spring perches and a fuel tank.

Actually, I believe you should have rear ABS (inside frame rail on the passenger side, 2/3 of the way back), but it is a fairly useless system that only might do something if you are towing a heavy load and brake hard. Soo... yeah. :shrug:

B

It was one of the many mix-and-match Pathfinder options

ABS might have started after the '90 model...both were full loaded manual SE models...and the '90 had a Nissan tow option. I'm going to keep researching this one...I still have old dealer pamphlets I'm going to dig up to confirm what years had this option. Or Nissan guru Rob can tell us...lol.

End of the day, the ABS on these trucks is useless and only in the rear so its better to just forget its even there and drive old school with threshold braking.

Old Skool it is then! I was just really looking for better performance from the rear brakes so maybe I'll install an adjustable brake bias valve so I can get a bit more out of the rears. I can't say I mind not having the ABS from back in the day, I recall that they were lauded as the NEXT BIG THING but really never worked as well as they were supposed to except under a fairly strict set of parameters. I guess it didn't help that common braking techniques were either threshold for car guys and pump-and-release for the other 80% of drivers.

Edited by SpecialWarr

End of the day, the ABS on these trucks is useless and only in the rear so its better to just forget its even there and drive old school with threshold braking.

Yea, considering that my rear drums probably can't even lock my rear wheels up, I considered it a reasonable thing to just remove the ABS control box.

my 95 has a rabs ( Rear ABS ) and as far as i can tell it kinda works but only if high wheel speed is operating and is on slick ice other than that i dont think abs is all that useful on these old vehicles since most of the braking force is up front something like 70% front and 30% rear.

Sorry, my bad then! I thought all 4 door WD21s at least came with the rear ABS and didn't consider it an option. Maybe it varies per country as well... :shrug:

Yea, considering that my rear drums probably can't even lock my rear wheels up, I considered it a reasonable thing to just remove the ABS control box.

Then I'd say that your brakes aren't adjusted properly or your shoes are contaminated. I know mine are from a leaking seal...

B

Final Verdict - rear ABS was added to the WD21 starting 07/90. If your vehicle was made after that date you have it.

Well, I was close... :shrug:

Thanks for clearing that up, good info. :aok:

Damn Nissan and their 1/2 year changes! P...

B