Weekend Project

jcollins

Well, my income taxes came back $$$ Time for me to do some work on the pathy. This President's Day weekend project list:

1. Install roof rack

2. Make a roof basket for said roof rack

3. Install new Kenwood KDC-X579 headunit, RF amp, JL subs (I hate theives!)

4. Refinish my stock wheels

5. Attempt to find a new rear bumper & install it

6. If I have time....try a T-Bar lift.

I'll post after pics sometime next week. Here is the before.

ON-ON!!

jcollins

post-5-1108764051.jpg

Edited by jcollins

Well, the weekend did'nt go very smooth. I hit the salvage yard bright & early Saturday morning, and actually got a rear bumper in PERFECT condition & a stock roof rack (I had to cancel the Xterra roof rack due to lack of garage door clearance). Then I headed out to the shop on our farm to get a little dirty. After that things started going downhill. When trying to remove the bumper on mine, I realized that every single bolt is rusted on as well as all of the bolts for my trailer hitch. I guess that I'll just have to cut 'em all off. So, I moved on to the roof rack/basket. That was easy. I decide to drive into town to get some lunch, and I looked over to my brother in law, and asked, "do you smell something burning?" It turns out that there is a hole rusted in my floorboard (7") and my carpet padding is poking through onto the exhaust. The next thing I know, I've got small flames wanting to eat my feet. I had to add another project to my list, FIX THE HOLE IN MY FLOOR!! So here's the rundown, Stereo:DONE, Roof Rack:DONE, new driver side floor board:DONE. It looks like I'll have to wait until next weekend to finish it up.

ON-ON

jcollins

Me too, US Wheels model 94's I think... 

I've got a set of those on my dark blue Pathy. They would look really good on your all black rig. I got 'em from Summit Racing for about $45 each. They're cheap enough to get one for the spare (if equipped). :aok:

Edited by jj big shoe

Yeah jj, not sure if I saw pics or a video of your rig, or someone elses ~ I know it was blue ~ and thought the same thing... they'd look good on my rig, too. I'd rather go aluminum for less unsprung weight, but really like the looks of the 94's... and the price is right, too. :aok:

How long have you had them? Are they holding up well, no rust, etc. ? Hopefully being steel they're a little less maintenance intensive than alloys... :shrug:

Hey jcollins... how do you like your new Kenwood? I have Kenwood in mine & my home ~ I like their equipment. :D

I had almost those same wheels on my 720, all chrome American Racing. My grandfather put them on right when he bought it in 1985, and by 2001 when I sold the truck they were still 95% perfect with almost no maintenance. They're a very solid investment, that is if they still make them like they did back in the day.

Well I've got everything done except the lift. It turns out that with the new rack on top I've only got 3/4" clearance in my garage. Hardwaretoad...I LOVE KENWOODS! Before I got this one I had an Xcelon MASK. It was the greatest! This new one is alright so far, but it does'nt have the motorized face (it's manual flip-down). And if anyone is looking to make their own roof basket....HOLLER AT ME! It took me a while to figure out what I would use for materials, but once I got it...I got it together easy. I live in Iowa. The land of corn, cattle, and hogs. So, I went to the local tractor supply, bought a sheet of "Cattle Panel". It's a sheet of fencing that's 16 feet long & 5 feet wide. It's heavy gauge steel wire, welded in a 4" grid pattern. All I had to do was cut it out, bend it, weld it quickly, and throw it on! I also sprayed it down with rubberized undercoating. Total cost for the rack: $15.76!!!!! And I still have enough materials to do 1 or 2 more!! So, if anyone is interested in taking the "budget" route, just e-mail me and I'll send you directions & pics.

HWT,

I've had the USW 94's for about three months. I spread a little wax on the chrome lip before it got godawful cold here. They've been through a few snows here in VA and the salt doesn't look like it's getting to them yet. It's been too cold to hand wash the truck and really inspect them, but I think they will do fine. A little Mother's should take care of anything funky before it starts to pit.

Thanks, guys, on the "report". I've had chrome steelies on other rigs, but have never had U.S.'s ~ was curious about their quality. As with any wheel, whether steel or alloy, a little PM goes a long way to keeping 'em shining. I think Mother's makes great products... :aok:

Being in Az, rust is the least of my worries with summer coming! B) Nothing like a black rig when it's 120...

Nope. I found one at a local JYard, and had them hold it until I measured for clearance. After I figured out that it would'nt fit....I told 'em to keep it. Sorry :( I did however find about 3 '88 Pathy's and 2 of them were in great shape.

• 1 month later...

Ya, i decided to go with a different tire after i called 4wp and the guys was snotty to me on the phone. Im getting some tires that someone ordered and never picked up for $75 a piece with these wheels: usw-24_w.jpg

Ill get some pics when i get em on.