My Pathfinder is now Keyless, Push Button Start

daczone

I finally got around to installing this. Installation was pretty easy. 6 wires (+12, ACC, IGN, START, GROUND, and one to the brake pedal). Push once and ACC, Push again and IGN and stepping on the brake while pushing it starts the motor.

Also requires a RFID on the keyfob within range. So it won't just start for anyone.

IMG_0277.JPG

IMG_0284.JPG

• Like 3

About $37 is what this cost to do. All of the wiring is real easy to get to. I removed my lock completely. The instructions tell you to break a key off in the ON position for the locking steering, but works better to remove it.

If you search RFID engine lock on Ebay you will find them. It will learn other RFID fobs as well. Comes with 2. It doesn't have the distance of my Prius (but the fobs aren't powered either). It beeps upon the presence of the RFid fob.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XRFID+Engine+Lock&_nkw=RFID+Engine+Lock&_sacat=0

I put my sensor ring under my console, so I just lay my keys right there. I plan to add 2 cup holders and will just toss the keys into one of them.

Pretty cool, someone did this (with a slightly different & more expensive kit) on another forum to a car a while back, since then I have been thinking about it. Probably won't and definitely won't for a while, but still cool :aok:

Have you explored options to add auto locking/unlocking doors when you walk away to up to the truck?

If you have seen a Prius, 3rd gen they use a battery in the keyfob and have about a 6 foot range. So the keys stay in your pocket. They don't autolock the doors but when you walk up the vehicle the interior light comes on and if you walk away from a running vehicle it beeps at you.

This system is much more primitive, It beeps when it detects the key which is a nice touch. I wired mine so that the brake must be applied to start (like the Prius).

Don't misunderstand, but why?

You still need the right item to start the car and still have to follow a set protocol. What is the benefit over just using a key?

It is cool though, and looks 'factory'. :aok:

B

Because for me... My other car is a Prius. At first I thought the lack of a key was the stupidist thing. I'd get the car with the keyfob in my hand and throw it into the center console only to then realize later I left my keyfob in the car. I soon realized I never needed to take the keyfob out of my pocket.

The push the key button to remove the key in the Pathfinder drove me nuts so I started looking for an alternative. For me that's why I did it.

I get crap from my coworkers for driving a Prius, but one ride and it will convence most people. Gets 50 MPG, Mine has 18" rims on it and with 98 HP gas and 36 HP electric it's pretty snappy off the line with the instant torque from the electric motor. I bought the Pathfinder for the 4WD in the winter and to haul my quads. It works for me.

Ahh, so you are lazy. Got it... :tongue:

That is a big Just Kidding, for the record.

So it is what you have gotten used to... Ok, good enough for me. I generally have a 'if it ain't broke' attitude myself, which is why I asked.

You don't have to sell your Prius to me, but it seems you still have some insecurities about it. ;)

B

Yes I am Lazy... You nailed it.

Well my last couple of cars were:

Suzuki Sidekick with a RX7 Turbo motor swap (standalone EFI) and NOS fed.

Nissan 350Z

Mazda Miata (Summer fun)

Ford SportTrac with a lift and big tires and THAT is the reason for the Prius.

I lifted it and put wheels and tires on it and it got 13 MPH with that horrible 4.6 liter V8

So I sold it and bought the Prius. My next car will probably be a Tesla after the Prius.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've had this now for a few months and still love it. Starts up every time. It beeps at you if you leave your key in the car.

One thing I did change was I originally installed it per the instructions so I had to press the brake to start/stop. Since I have a stick which already has the starter interrupt I removed that piece so I don't have to step on the brake to start/stop.

• 3 weeks later...

I was expecting for it to be more expensive. Nice!

That's the beauty of this kit. It's inexpensive! Looks cool, works fantastic.

I removed the press the brake safety feature (in which you had to step on the brake to start or turn the motor off. Just seems unneeded. Since I have a manual you have to press in the clutch to start it, and although pressing the brake to start was no big deal, stepping on the brake to turn the motor off seemed silly.