Tire repairable?

ltsnotme

I have plugged holes like that and driven home over 1,000 miles, and then drove around on it for years after that....

I know everyone talks about patches these days, but I have used (good) plugs for 25 years; multiple plugs in 1 hole, multiple holes in one tire, etc.

Never had one fail yet, and I have one on the back tire of my BMW motorcycle, and one I put on the edge of the sidewall in my Moms car, that a tire company said wasn't repairable (via patch).

That can be fixed, even if you only trust it as a spare. (no such thing, a spare is just as important as the ones touching the ground)

B

Wow, what did you run over anyway?

I think the problem you'll have is that a tire shop won't repair it. The whole liability thing. It looks like you severed a few of the metal belts. Probably less concerning that it's in the center tread (you'll just end up--hopefully--with only a flat should a repair fail), but wheeling it again may only aggravate things. As a spare not taken off-road? Sure.

Any warranty options? I use Discount Tire around here (America's Tire elsewhere), and they've been awesome about that stuff, even if I didn't buy the tire from them. I've had some unrepairable tires (ignoring for a moment what we think is "repairable" or not) that were replaced outright if they appeared warranty-able (just paid unmount/mount/disposal fees), or I was allowed to buy a new replacement less a pro-rated value of the damaged tire, since it still had considerable treadwear left. They've even offered warranties on some new Rubicon take-offs (Wrangler MTs) I picked up on Craigslist the other year. (And they do free tire repairs, of course.) I'd explore some other options with your local tire shops if they can't/won't repair it.

I think the problem you'll have is that a tire shop won't repair it. The whole liability thing. It looks like you severed a few of the metal belts. Probably less concerning that it's in the center tread (you'll just end up--hopefully--with only a flat should a repair fail), but wheeling it again may only aggravate things. As a spare not taken off-road? Sure.

Any warranty options? I use Discount Tire around here (America's Tire elsewhere), and they've been awesome about that stuff, even if I didn't buy the tire from them. I've had some unrepairable tires (ignoring for a moment what we think is "repairable" or not) that were replaced outright if they appeared warranty-able (just paid unmount/mount/disposal fees), or I was allowed to buy a new replacement less a pro-rated value of the damaged tire, since it still had considerable treadwear left. They've even offered warranties on some new Rubicon take-offs (Wrangler MTs) I picked up on Craigslist the other year. (And they do free tire repairs, of course.) I'd explore some other options with your local tire shops if they can't/won't repair it.

No idea what I ran over, but this ended up in my tire:

1030141049.jpg

Yeah, America's Tire is where I went (after another shop said no). They obviously said they couldn't fix it either, so I ordered a new tire through them.

I don't think a warranty would cover something like this though, would it? I originally bought these from TireRack. But anyway, America's Tire people were pretty helpful, even installed two sets of open-ended lug nuts (because they weren't "comfortable" putting back the 1/4" spacers I had in the front) and didn't charge me for them.

Thanks everyone, I'll try to find someone to repair this.

I know everyone talks about patches these days

B

Are they even allowed anymore? Pretty sure that it was Discount Tire who told me patches were no longer legal, but maybe that was just in this state? This was quite a few years ago, around they same time the tightened down on the sidewall repairs.

At any rate, I have not seen any reputable shops around here patch a tire in a long time and the last time I had one done with a patch was in 98-99, when I had a gutter spike in one of the yota's tires. Two or three repairs since have been plugs. I have also repaired one on my own using plugs and it worked perfectly for the 500-1000 miles I put on it before getting new tires all around. In fact I carry plug kits in my vehicles.

That's just dumb luck there, Itsnotme. Whatever that bar is from, you caught it at the worst angle. Sucks.

If you bought them from TireRack, I'd take the chance and ask them if it's covered. Perhaps you purchased their Road Hazard coverage? How long ago did you buy them, or how old are the tires? There's a 4-digit date code on the tire's sidewall that has the week and year of manufacture...ex. 3412 = 34th week of 2012.

Are they even allowed anymore? Pretty sure that it was Discount Tire who told me patches were no longer legal, but maybe that was just in this state? This was quite a few years ago, around they same time the tightened down on the sidewall repairs.

At any rate, I have not seen any reputable shops around here patch a tire in a long time and the last time I had one done with a patch was in 98-99, when I had a gutter spike in one of the yota's tires. Two or three repairs since have been plugs. I have also repaired one on my own using plugs and it worked perfectly for the 500-1000 miles I put on it before getting new tires all around. In fact I carry plug kits in my vehicles.

America's Tire representative told me what they use is a combination of patching and plugging. Basically a patch with a plug on it that is inserted from the inside, which is what they had on display in the waiting room. It's mostly meant for round punctures though, not tears like mine, as the plug is round. Either way, if it's larger than 1/4", they're not supposed to repair it.

That's just dumb luck there, Itsnotme. Whatever that bar is from, you caught it at the worst angle. Sucks.

If you bought them from TireRack, I'd take the chance and ask them if it's covered. Perhaps you purchased their Road Hazard coverage? How long ago did you buy them, or how old are the tires? There's a 4-digit date code on the tire's sidewall that has the week and year of manufacture...ex. 3412 = 34th week of 2012.

It's been just over two years, so I guess it would've expired either way. I've just read through their road hazard claim initiation procedure though, and it's got so much red tape that I think I would've just purchased a new tire on my own anyway, rather than deal with that. :thumbsdown:

Yep, I really like dealing with Discount tire, and the tires on 3 of our vehicles were purchased there. I got the hazzard insurance on my BFG KM2 since it wasn't terribly expensive, and as the customer rep advised it 'since these are off road tires and you will be in the rocks and such'. He said it doesn't matter where/how the damage occurred, just if and with their other policies, I believe it.

Last I knew they were, but maybe they are the patch/plug hybrid Nunya is talking aboot or by state as you suggested. Been a while I've asked about it myself.

Around here, I recall plugging being prevalent until mid 90's and then shops switching to patching. Maybe some type of legislation, but I was always able to buy the same self vulcanizing strip type plugs. That is what I want and what I carry as well. :shrug:

B

No idea what I ran over, but this ended up in my tire:

1030141049.jpg

Yeah, America's Tire is where I went (after another shop said no). They obviously said they couldn't fix it either, so I ordered a new tire through them.

I don't think a warranty would cover something like this though, would it? I originally bought these from TireRack. But anyway, America's Tire people were pretty helpful, even installed two sets of open-ended lug nuts (because they weren't "comfortable" putting back the 1/4" spacers I had in the front) and didn't charge me for them.

Thanks everyone, I'll try to find someone to repair this.

Yow! If that didn't have a 'head' on it, it might have wound up inside your tire! :lmao:

Try going to the smaller, privately owned shops..

B

Liability usually they won't patch/plug cuts, only holes and they have to be in the "repair zone". Sucks yours is center tread, had the same thing happen on a Titan I owned. Brand new tires, piece of 3/4" gravel went though center tread. Didn't buy "road hazard". Had to buy new tire. Sorry man, looking at new tire.