Exhaust heat melting bumper

CDN_S4

I took the PF for a 2 hour drive today, a lot of it on highways averaging 120-130km/h and when I got to where I was going, I noticed something under the right edge of the bumper. Turns out it was molten plastic. Directly across from it is the exhaust pipe aiming right at it. While I was driving I thought I smelt something burn but nothing was noticeable. I'll take a picture of it tomorrow.

I thought the angles exhaust was a stock setup...now I'm gonna have to look into adjusting that unless I wanna go up in a ball of fire lol

CNAM that's my suspicion too, especially where there is a metally sounding rattle coming from it that I can hear when I start driving with the windows down.

Sent from Tapatalk

I had that problem too for awhile after the tail pipe fell off just before my honey moon last year. the whole section from the muffler over the rear axle to the end. fixed it with a section of exhaust pipe some clamps and a tonne of muffler tape. It got me there and back home but I ended up with the tip pointing into the rear bumper (it looked very stealth). It was far enough away that it only deformed the plastic a little but I drove it that way until last month when I had a whole new system installed.

Yeah it looks stealth...but I think I need a new setup entirely as well. If they should be angled and point in any direction other than straight out back, then it should probably be angled down. What's your new setup? Is it a generic muffler shop build or is it a custom setup with gucci components? :)

I've always spent good money on my cars performance exhausts but with this I'm wanting to keep it "reasonably priced" but maybe a bit better sound. The muffler that's on now has "silent flow" or something like that stamped on it...I will probably replace the muffler with a magnaflow and see what it will cost for my local shop to rig up a slightly larger diameter setup.

I went to a custom shop that came highly recommended by a few car enthusiasts I know. they did everything from the cats back welded and painted new muffler, resonator and tip for $600. they followed the stock routing but upped the pipe to 2 1/4. the sound at idle is quiet , the note on acceleration from a light is very good and at highway speed no more drone, again nice and quiet. all in all I very pleased as my L/km have increased a point or two and it feels like i've got more pick up.

I would only go to a custom shop for this type of work from now on, considering Midas quoted me over $1200 for the same work.

Pics:

2673a2a49bddb176866d52c5473c45ee.jpg

bd90a9a79ee4a1edfcd2977011be4bd5.jpg

f6daeb5c9654e0d6b3fdc8838cedb597.jpg

Also, another issue with this muffler is that it's hanger is pointed towards the frame and when it vibrates this is really noticeable and annoying.

Sent from Tapatalk

That is the resonator and it should be pointed a bit farther down. Check the connection just above/in front of the rear axle, very common spot to rot out and sometimes a small portion will still be attached causing the resonator assembly to twist. If no issue there, try (when it's cool) gently rocking the resonator and watch to see what moving and what's not.

Instead of spending any money on this for now I decided to chop that angled piece off. Now it's just aiming straight back and hopefully has enough clearance between to not melt anything else lol

Sent from Tapatalk

LOL that was a dremel half way around. The other side of the bend was hard to reach so I took the blowtorch and booted it off LOL

I sure hope it won't do it again!!

Sent from Tapatalk

Well yeah it's just due to the angle and stuff. Honestly couldn't be bothered to try and cut all the way around. I went through a lot of disc bits whatever those things are called to even get half way around so the boot it was.

Sent from Tapatalk