CDN_S4 build thread

CDN_S4

Haha no don't worry, was just phishing for reactions lol. I'm just baby-sitting the Wrangler for a friend. But I DO like it! And even though I love my PF, some day when my funds have filled back up, I will most likely get one of these. But for now, this is what I've done:

064f9e0378186a00365b56bbf4fad100.jpg

Got my bulbs I missed in my initial order for the HVAC. I attempted to put in my new head unit but discovered I need a lot more than what comes provided with the unit so I got an appointment next Saturday at future shop to put this in, to complete my transformation to all blue interior dash lights

e6773a22f498f0eb6949246aac270351.jpg

Also cleaned out my idler pulley, hopefully the squealing will be gone.

Ha, not that it would've been a terrible thing if you did...just not in that color. :laugh:

I both miss and don't miss my Jeep. Fun vehicle, but too impractical. No one would rent me a trailer because of the soft top...I remember arguing how stupid it was while pointing to a f*ck1ng Prius in the lot with a trailer attached...liability my @$$. The doors don't stay open (really really annoying on even the tiniest slopes or with a little wind); kits to "fix" that start at $50. I replaced the hood latches because there's no locking mechanism, and at highway speeds, you can see and feel the hood fluttering (pucker moment every time). But it was fun driving around without the doors and top...except you couldn't make stops to buy things for fear of someone pulling a five-finger discount on your goods that can't be hidden anywhere without dropping big bucks on an aftermarket trunk. I did make and save a lot of money buying and selling Jeep take-offs, though. Oh, those Jeepers.

What more do you need for your radio? You should only need an antenna adapter, wiring harness, and Scosche OEA-4 (if you have and plan to keep the Bose amp). All of those are dirt cheap. It will attach to your OE brackets; no kit required. I replaced my Bose unit with a single-DIN Pioneer; took maybe 30 mins to solder up the connections on my workbench, then another 30 to install...all plug-and-play. I say DIY. Let me know if you want pics or links for parts...I can pull my stuff out easily and show you what you need and need to do. Very very easy.

You'll probably find that the Pioneer's matching blue color is tough to see during the day, even with its Dimmer mode off. (My Pioneer unit also has all 200K+ colors.) I almost can't read the screen. I recently did all my LEDs to blue, too, and it all looks great at night, but not being able to see the radio during the day has me wanting to try a different dash color.

Oh, and my mysterious rattle...also a loose upper shock mount! I was able to tighten mine further and no more noise. Go figure.

Couldn't resist...

l12040Ni10-F.jpg

http://www.crutchfield.ca/Nissan_Antenna_Adapter_Diversity_antenna_to_Motoro_p/12040ni10.htm

Antenna adapter. They have other flavors; this one has an extra female socket (the smaller one) in case you wanted to chain another FM device, like Satellite radio module or FM-tuner. Others are 1:1. Some kits come with both the aftermarket-to-OE connections (shown) and the OE-to-aftermarket (for putting your stock radio in another vehicle, for whatever reason) for about the same price.

l120707550-f.jpeg

http://www.crutchfield.ca/Metra_70_7550_Wire_Harness_for_Nissan_Infi_94_up_p/120707550.htm

Metra's are of good quality, but they're really all the same, and they fit a ton of other Nissans.

995.11118.300x200.OEA4_2.jpg

http://www.scosche.com/oem-amp-interface-80wx4

This is used for wiring up the Bose amp, if you have it and plan to use it. Crutchfield sells one that already has the above wiring harness connected. But since all the wires are color coded, and all they do is butt-crimp them...it's a bit pricey for what you get. This does not need any power source. Unless you think you'll need to constantly tune your speaker outputs, you can just tune it once and tuck the module under the radio.

For guys switching to a single-DIN unit, you can find pockets or delete panels for other Nissans for cheap. I'd avoid some of the generic pockets.

All are easy finds on eBay and Amazon.

Edited by hawairish

Awesome info Hawairish! Thanks for that. I don't have the Bose unit in mine so I most likely don't have the Bose amp either. In size comparison the new unit is about 5mm smaller all around than the original so I would need a trim of sorts. The adapters are available in store and don't cost much. I guess I'll just bite the bullet of the 1/2 hour labour plus tax. I hate electrical wiring lol. It's a miracle I was able to do the things I've done in my truck so far, especially the wireless backup camera...I'm sure I could manage if I bought a solder iron. But my to do list is getting quite long. The S4 needs new control arms and I'm already dealing with snapped stuck bolts there...

Ah yes, I see there's a trim kit (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120957417/Metra-95-7417-Dash-Kit.html?tp=3121). Still, pretty cheap.

Well, thought I'd try anyway. You'd be surprised how easy it is...you just match up the cable colors. Butt connectors are a fine approach, though soldering and heat-shrink tubing is my preference.

For me, I also absolutely refuse to have any shop install any equipment. Major a trust issue. A long time ago, we saw a pattern between my buddies' and my vehicles...we all bought something from a shop (at different times) only to have it stolen very soon after. The way I see it, some dude knows what equipment you have, what your car looks like, what alarm you've got (if any), how things are installed (and easily uninstalled)...all he needs is an address (which, from my experiences, they've asked for). Naturally, if you can avoid giving that final piece, you're better off.

I've had my share of stolen systems, which is why I don't go gonzo on them anymore. I recommend using security screws to attach the radio to the truck. Styles like snake-eyes, pinheads (Torx, Hex, Phillips), tri-way, and multi-node are good examples. It's not to prevent stealing the radio; it's to promote further damage when stealing said radio. I'd rather some fk-face destroy my dash to steal my radio--and possibly damage the radio so that no one can use it--than allow him to easily steal it. I want him to work for it so that the damage far exceeds my deductible so I don't end up having to eat it by not filing a claim at all. When my insurance company determines it'll cost $2K to repair/replace everything, they'll apply my deductible, cut me a check, and I'll profit from the hassle when I do the repairs/replacement myself. (Or, if I can't do the repair/replacement, the cost is covered.) But that's just me. B)

Good point on the stealing. Never thought of that as that never happened to me. I did install the RNS-E in my S4 all by myself but as it is an OEM unit it was plug and play, added a Bluetooth module and was all set. With all the above info I might actually give this a shot as you laid it all out for me!! Thanks!!

Is that first aid from Petro Can points?

It's from shoppers drug mart. They have a small, this one and a larger one. I needed one for more average every day kind of boo boos as my current kit is an actual combat trauma kit to stop some serious blood loss. A bunch of left over kit from my Tour. I'm qualified tactical combat casualty care. Some of the methods are illegal to use in Canada, such as needle decompression or even the use of tourniquets, but a lot of the treatments for combat wounds can be applied to car accident victims.

Just placed an order for 33's today :)

Turning poor gas mileage into bad gas mileage one poor decision at a time lol. The reasonable me tells me to stick with 31's, but the unreasonable me wants (not needs, wants) 33's lol

A SFD will be in the future but not right away. I'd like to have a 2-3 inch one, 4 is almost a bit much.

I stuck with the Duratracs. They have been great all winter for me and that is my primary use of the PF.

I took it apart, cleaned it and lubed it. The bearing works perfectly on it. Put it back on and still get a squeal on start up.

The last time I thought I could revive an idler pulley, I was only buying time. It soon grenaded on me. Nothing like losing power steering mid-drive.

There are 3 belts, so I guess 3 idlers? I only did the top front one lol. Easy access. Will have to take a second look at the others. Blonde moment here lol.

Two; the power steering pump tensions its belt. Since the top idler is only for the AC belt, you should be able to just leave the belt off, start it up, and see if your squeal goes away. If it doesn't, it's probably the other idler.

Definitely possible. I'd bet if you sprayed some water on the belt it'd squeal when you turn the wheel.

You can also put some chalk or crayon on the belt, if it stops squealing that one is your problem.

Deck installed. The blue transformation is complete and I finally can play my phone music and make hands free calls. Pretty happy with the outcome. Much better sound too.

361b885d64bdac6383926d9324399b3b.jpg