1993 Pathfinder - Here we go again.

MrEviLDeD

Hey everyone.

Haven't been around due to some injuries from an accident. It kind of stopped my progress pretty dead on. With that said its time to get back to the few things left on the list and get it back on the road.

Having sat there now for a while. I took it for a quick little test drive and have a few things that stood out.

First, feels really strange in the front end. It will make some chirping when the wheels are turned very tight like metal is being stressed. Also it feels like the wheel give in a little when I made an fast turn almost like they were moving a little.

When I bought and installed the ball joints. The lower ones did not come with a grease hole and I assumed they were sealed and did not need grease. Did I get this one wrong? Because it would almost feel like the ball joint was moving enough to let the wheel move. (I haven't had it off the ground yet.. tomorrow maybe) Anyhow. My first stupid question was should that balljoint have been greased? The top one was done until it slightly bulged once it was set down...

Could this feeling like the wheel moving/giving be from the tie-rods? These were also greased properly.

I know that one of the wheel bearings wasn't seated as I had to do it by hand (before getting the socket to do it with the torque wrench). The other side was done with the torque wrench correctly. This wouldn't allow it to feel like the wheel was giving right? Just give the wheel some play when driving, like a wobble right?

Anyhow, for those that know me. IM BAACK!!

(I will update the old thread soon as I get back) I still have fuel lines, valve cover/plenum, and rear oil seal left :) now that I am feeling better.

IIRC that squelch noise is your steering bump stops rubbing metal to metal, your plastic ends have been rubbed away, putting grease on both sides front and rear should stop/,reduce the noise. If you have no zerk fittings then yes it should be pre lubed already in the LBJ. Did you get the CL replaced when you did the ball joints? If that's wore out you can get the loose feeling. Hope your ok, and welcome back.

Not glad to hear about your accident but glad to hear you are on the mend. Those bump stops are grinding metal on metal. As stated above it's a good idea to put some grease on the metal stops but you might be able to get the plastic bump stop screw on fittings brand new from Nissan. I've also heard coke bottle plastic caps fit but idk.

Everything except the sway bar and or bushings were replaced. Both CV Axles, wheel bearings both sides (inner and outer w/races), upper and lower balljoints, inner/outter tierod engs and centers. It should for the most part be pretty tight upfront. Say you were driving and you drove over a slightly sunken in manhole cover. When I go over it, it feels like that tire "slips" and is almost wobbly but not wobbly, feels funny driving, but then straightens out and seems same same.. but it is kind of like the feeling of almost slipping on a floor but not.

Edited by MrEviLDeD

I did run a couple of lines and tried to to a 0-toe of my own, but it was quick and weather wasn't the greatest. So, yea and no on the alignment after, leaning more towards the not so much :) The shocks were in good condition when I pulled everything apart it was why I put them back in opposed to getting new ones. I will put shocks on the list. I hope to be out there this wednesday (tuesday if the stars align) and will check over everything right back to the CV axle bolts.

It's definitely the alignment if you didn't get one done. I do the tape measure alignment on mine and it drives fine, just takes like 3 hours of dicking with it.