r50 tire swing carrier

Quick question I'm wondering if a tire carrier from a 96 4wd pathfinder would fit on my 99 pathfinder se looking to buy one for sale on eBay just want to lake sure it'd fit on my pathy before I waste money and it not fit. Thank you!

Unless yours came with one from the factory; no. There's not enough support put into the taillight area if it didn't come with one stock.

• Like 1

It did come with it stock, just the guy I bought it off of said he took it off because it was a hassle? Lol , all the bolts are still inside it I just need the carrier. Want to make sure it fits before I spend the money

It did come with it stock, just the guy I bought it off of said he took it off because it was a hassle? Lol , all the bolts are still inside it I just need the carrier. Want to make sure it fits before I spend the money

Oh then that shouldn't be an issue, Theexbrit did the same thing. As long as the factory put it there, no matter who took it off after the fact, it should still work haha.

• Like 1

it should fit. i was on the same boat looking to grab one and install it on my 01. but most people said the support behind the panel doesnt have the proper support as it came out on factory. most people said u barely have access to add support on it. but if you can fabricate a backing plate then hopefully it works. if you were come up with a solution pls make a write up.

Since it came with one stock, it will fit and work. There are no changes to the body or carrier that I have ever heard of. Make sure it comes with the latch plate and hardware as well.

It cracks me up when people say they are too hard to operate. Unless you are handicapped or disabled, how f-ing lazy can you be? I can see removing it for asthetic reasons, but not because 'whaa, too hard'! :doh:

B

• Like 1

There are some times I wish mine didn't have it. Like when you are trying to hook up a trailer it can get in the way, and once the trailer is on, you can't really open the tailgate.

• Like 1

There are some times I wish mine didn't have it. Like when you are trying to hook up a trailer it can get in the way, and once the trailer is on, you can't really open the tailgate.

Agreed, it's more a pain than function but it looks REALLY cool.

That's really all it got going for it.

-Kyle

• Like 1

It gives you more clearance than having a tire underneath (not to mention oversized tires don't fit well) and it is handy to mount other things to (antennae, shovel, jerry can, etc). I'd say that is some function. :shrug:

B

I wish mine had one. If I found one in a junk yard that had the carrier, I would seriously consider dismantling the entire rear quarter and lift gate to put it on. There is something to be said for having a full-sized spare and doing five-tire rotation. (I know there are other ways, but are there better ways?)

You should have a full sized spare underneath. Our 1999.0 has a 265/70/15 mounted there, witha trailer hitch, and that should be roughly a 30' tire.

Some tires are uni-directional, and even some of them that are not do not like being reversed. I noticed my BFG M/T KM2 got a lot louder when I reversed them. I plan to go back to the off side rotation. (DF to DR/ DR to DF, PF to PR to spare to PF)

B

Mine has a full-sized spare underneath, but when I put bigger tires on I won't be able to fit an oversized one under there - that's what I meant, used the full-sized in the wrong context.

The 2 times I've had to change a flat since I picked up my truck on 1/31/2000 , made putting up with the little inconveniences worthwhile .

I could see myself on my back or knees struggling with rusted "whatevers" tying to drop one of those bottom mounted spares .

When I picked out my truck it was the only one out of a dozen+ on the lot with the rear carrier , and it was a major selling point for me .

Over the years the latch and wire mechanism needed replacement , but all the parts combined were about $100 and it works like new again .

Had Nissan done away with the carrier when they introduced the R50 in '96 , a Pathfinder probably wouldn't have even made it onto my short list when I went looking for a 4x4 .

I believe you can fit a 245/75r16 in the stock under-the-loadfloor location. This is according to Stioc, he said there was minimal modification, but I'm planning on testing this myself.

Most days I'm in and out of the back of mine 10 times a day getting tools for work. There is no way I would deal with a rear carrier. If I'm in town parked I wouldn't have room to swing it out and get the hatch open with someone parked two feet behind me. I have a full size spare at home with a real jack. I've never had a flat, but if I do one phone call gets both delivered and it saves carting around an extra 100 pounds or so of stuff I've never needed. But that's just me.

Most days I'm in and out of the back of mine 10 times a day getting tools for work. There is no way I would deal with a rear carrier. If I'm in town parked I wouldn't have room to swing it out and get the hatch open with someone parked two feet behind me. I have a full size spare at home with a real jack. I've never had a flat, but if I do one phone call gets both delivered and it saves carting around an extra 100 pounds or so of stuff I've never needed. But that's just me.

One time my friend went to swing open the carrier and he swung it right into the the car that was parked behind us. I left a note with HIS phone number, but he never heard anything about it. :lol: