New site, Old Pathfinder

Hi all, I just found this site after I bought a 1990 Pathfinder for $600. This thing has almost 280k miles on it and still going. I took it out in my friends creek today with the bald tires on it and that thing did great got it stuck in 2wd and popped it in 4lo and drove right out.

I have some issues with it..

My passenger high beam does not work, I replaced the bulb and nothing. Gonna take apart the steering column tomorrow and try to fix it that way.

My exhaust is not really connected to the engine. How do I replace that?

Note: it lookslike Nissan skipped out on the relays for the headlights and routed full power through the stalk switch. Clean _all_ the corrision off of it and if that doesn't work it could be that the bulb socket itself maybe toast.

sent from under Ernest the Pathfinder

Welcome to NPORA! WAVEY

Headlight... it's the switch, it's almost always the switch. I would be surprised it there is much or any corrosion, but if there is clean it off. Bend the contacts just a little and see if that works. But even if it does, it will likely be temporary at best. Plan to replace the switch and when you do that, install some relays for the switch to trip, and run main power to the lights through the relays. That is the long term permanent fix and you can find a ton of info on this here at NPORA. :aok:

As for your exhaust, replace the studs and bolt it back on. However, if the exhaust is truly not attached or almost not attached, then you likely have many broken studs which will mean extracting them (which could include drilling) and your existing manifolds will need to be fully inspected as they could be warped and/or cracked.

Welcome to NPORA! WAVEY

Headlight... it's the switch, it's almost always the switch. I would be surprised it there is much or any corrosion, but if there is clean it off. Bend the contacts just a little and see if that works. But even if it does, it will likely be temporary at best. Plan to replace the switch and when you do that, install some relays for the switch to trip, and run main power to the lights through the relays. That is the long term permanent fix and you can find a ton of info on this here at NPORA. :aok:

As for your exhaust, replace the studs and bolt it back on. However, if the exhaust is truly not attached or almost not attached, then you likely have many broken studs which will mean extracting them (which could include drilling) and your existing manifolds will need to be fully inspected as they could be warped and/or cracked.

When I bought it the exhaust manifold was held on by a pair of grips. Ill try to get pictures tomorrow.

For the switch, I took it off, what exactly am i cleaning? I saw the thread on the WD21 forum but not entirely sure I understand it.

Follow the stalk of the head light switch to the base. Remove the plastic cover backing and you will see the contacts. Bend the contacts a touch. It is a real simple set up but the heat takes it toll. If the ex manifold studs break depending on how long they have been broken the manifold will crack or warp.

I lost a high beam, cleaned it out, bent the contacts around until I got them working right again, and haven't had a problem with it since. The headlight relay mod I did shortly after probably helped with that!

In case I didn't put this in the other thread, this is what's behind that sort of translucent cover thing, and which contact goes where:

P1010001-12.jpg

Sounds like you got a good deal! A running/driving Pathy for $600 is great, and it sounds like you got a free pair of vise grips out of the deal.