Clicking Noise coming from the Distributor.

GePa

Well a month ago or so, while i was going to the South of my country. For some reasson the engine did stop working all the sudden

with a yellow check engine light. I was towed to a mechanic and he did show me that the distributor was loose. A bearing was busted

and the bolt holding the whole distributor was busted as well so he did change both..........

Now i have this problem, clicking noise coming from the distributor.

It starts ticking as soon as it starts up, and as I accelerate, it accelerates as well.

The ticking is pretty consistent with the speed of the car.

When it's idling or in neutral it still ticks rythmically, and when I start driving it continues to tick rhthmically, if I drive faster the

ticking gets faster and so on.

Is this a real issue or just an annoying issue that is not going to cause any trouble other than the annoying sound?

is it definately from the distributer? Only 2 things come to mind, either impact (ie. the tip of the rotor is hitting one of the posts for the plug wires) or too large of a gap on one and you are hearing the arc. Pull the cap off and look for abnormalities on all of the plugwire points and see if your rotor is loose. If you think it is arcing, you can identify which one by systematically disconnecting one at a time. Without a ground, that particular point won't arc.

sounds like mine with a collapsed lifter in the drivers-side head. Definately get a stethescope and check it... alternatively, and this is a cheaters way, use a brazing rod held against the bottom of a plastic cup. put yout ear to the open end of the cup and touch the brazing rod to the valve cover, disty cover, etc to tell where the clicking is.

While listening to your video it seemed like the clicking was coming and going at times. If that's right, then it's not an electrical arc, but something actually ticking, so find out where that's coming from. Make sure it's coming from your distributor...

I say this because the WAY your old distributor failed, it could have resulted in firing a cylinder REALLY early and pounding a connecting rod, or even bending a valve? So consider the possibility of some internal engine damage.

If it's coming from the distributor, then I would suggest that your new distributor is bad, or perhaps the camshaft teeth are damaged from your distributor failure.

Every single time i try to touch the distributor, the muthafskca, gives me an electrical discharge.

That doesn't sound right. You should be able to grab it without problem, especially if you are adjusting the timing. Check that your cables are not too high in resistance (which could cause you to ground it on that particular fire). Also, isn't there a plug or two attached to the disty near the base? I think one of them is a ground. Make sure everything is attached as it should be.

Edited by k9sar

Have you even removed the the dizzy cap and looked?

I had a distributor cap that lost the center electrode, and was just arcing to the rotor/wire contact. Yes, it ran just fine that way with just a little stumble at low RPM.

Again, have you inspected the dizzy components?

B

Sounds like a lifter the way it comes and goes. I would poor water on the cap to see if there is a arc. If so that would be a cracked cap. It will misfire also. Could be a bad wire arc but that usually happens between the head and wire by the plug

Yes i did check the dizzy parts. They seem to be ok. Btw the engine just runs fine. I will check again.

I read a similar story on another Forum, and the guy said that he was coming down a Mountain and somehow his distributor became loose. He took it to a mechanic and he pulled the distributor then unbent the shaft and replaced a broken bearing. Does any of that make a difference in how you would diagnose the ticking noise?

• Like 1

I read a similar story on another Forum, and the guy said that he was coming down a Mountain and somehow his distributor became loose. He took it to a mechanic and he pulled the distributor then unbent the shaft and replaced a broken bearing. Does any of that make a difference in how you would diagnose the ticking noise?

xD. I'm the same guy. I went back there in the pic nissan_zpsb66c7778.jpg

It was quite fun, since it's summer time and we are allowed to go quite up in the mountains.

Today i was checking the dizzy and guess what, every time i touch that PLUG i get a shock...... that doesn't happen with the other plugs

CAM00403_zpsdc9a4de0.jpg

check it at night, spray some water from a spray bottle on it and look for arching, May not even need the water if it is arching that bad.

The cap probably has a crack or the boot on that one wire has a hole in it, when you said every time you touch it you get zapped indicates to me a crack where the spark is arching against something, If the wires are original replace them as well as the cap and rotor.

Does the engine feel like it has less power than it did before? If so that is a definite indication that something is arching.

On my 90 sentra one of the plug wires had a hole in the insulation, when driving in 5th gear it wouldn't go over 55 MPH, found the hole in the wire was arching against the block, wrapped it with electrical tape and it ran fine, 10 minutes later it burned thru the tape and ran like crap again.

Actually the engine works just fine, no issue at all. It goes full speed. So i will try to spray some water

The water is the easiest. I personally use a test light.I hook the ground to battery neg and run the tip of the test light along each wire. Simple physics while the truck is running- electricity seeks the shortest route to ground and will arc to the tip of the test light where it is bad.