Power Steering Problem

Hi Guys,

Looking for some input. I went out the other day and got really stuck. Front right was buried in a deep rut. Finally got it out with my high lift jack and a lot of digging, etc. When I got back down the hill I realized I had no power steering. With no leaks or visible issues I decided it was the power steering pump. I replaced it today, put in all new fluid, flushed out old fluid and air. Issue is still there. The only other things there are the steering box, and the rack. Anyone ever had a rack go bad like this. I can get one for like $150 and it doesn't look to hard to replace. What do you guys think? I have a '98 with the 4" SFD and 2" AC coils if that matters. Thanks for the input.

You put a new pump on so the belt is there.

It has fluid, there are no leaks in any of the hoses?

I suspect it will be something with the rack since the vehicle was buried in the hole. On the top of the rack near where they steering shaft goes into the rack there are two metal lines. Check to see if they are bent.

I don't see any kinks. And what is the center link? I found a new rack at a yard for $100 but it is for se models. Not sure if that works on my mine or not. I think I have an le. It has leather and all power and 4wd. Its definently not leaking. And the steering linkage/knuckle looks pretty straight.

OK I thought outside the box some..... :blush02:

The power steering pressure switch on the pressure line is on the right side of the vehicle and rather sits low in the engine bay. If the switch is in the closed position there will be no power assist to the steering rack.

The switch could have gotten wet/muddy and fried or is not making a connection to the harness now because of mud in the connector. You could have also damaged the harness to the switch when the vehicle was stuck in the hole.

In park with the vehicle running, If your switch is working properly you will have power steering and the RPM on the tach will dip down slightly when you turn the wheel right or left.

Here is the part information should you need it:

PART NUMBER: 49761-0W000

DESCRIPTION: SWITCH-PRESSURE, PWR STR

$69.33 (Nissan List: $92.43)

OK I thought outside the box some..... :blush02:

The power steering pressure switch on the pressure line is on the right side of the vehicle and rather sits low in the engine bay. If the switch is in the closed position there will be no power assist to the steering rack.

The switch could have gotten wet/muddy and fried or is not making a connection to the harness now because of mud in the connector. You could have also damaged the harness to the switch when the vehicle was stuck in the hole.

In park with the vehicle running, If your switch is working properly you will have power steering and the RPM on the tach will dip down slightly when you turn the wheel right or left.

Here is the part information should you need it:

PART NUMBER: 49761-0W000

DESCRIPTION: SWITCH-PRESSURE, PWR STR

$69.33 (Nissan List: $92.43)

Thanks for the idea. I looked at the sensor. No visible damage or mud. Is there a way to bypass it by removing it or shorting it to check to see if it is the sensor, is it normally open?

Thanks again.

Thanks for the idea. I looked at the sensor. No visible damage or mud. Is there a way to bypass it by removing it or shorting it to check to see if it is the sensor, is it normally open?

Thanks again.

So I tried the steering with the connector off the sensor, no change. Then I shorted the harness to the sensor and the engine revved up a little like it is supposed to I believe. Still no assisted steering when opened or closed. I assume this means its not the sensor.

So I tried the steering with the connector off the sensor, no change. Then I shorted the harness to the sensor and the engine revved up a little like it is supposed to I believe. Still no assisted steering when opened or closed. I assume this means its not the sensor.

If it revs up when you jump the harness but doesn't when the sensor is connected I would look into the sensor more carefully.

I found a steering rack out the third junk yard I tried. Threw it and its all good now. Not sure what was wrong with the other one but it works now!

Its possible the old rack got something in it through the boots. I cant recall ever seeing this though. :scratchhead: Anything is possible. I would think you would have found stuff in your fluid though as well.