seal question

ahardb0dy

I am replacing a seal on my tranny today (in my car), and the FSM says to :

Apply grease to seal lip of oil seal before installing,

where exactly does the grease need to go?

This seal is one that goes over the rod that the shift linkage attaches too.

pic below where the seal goes:

2hhpslc.jpg

Just fyi I always grease both the inside and outside diameter of engine and transmission seals when I install them, for both reasons mentioned here. Been doing it this way for years without issue and that's how I was taught to do it by a mechanic of 50 years. My 2 c.

Turns out the seal was not leaking, it cake out, the seal has a lip on it that an accordion rubber boot site over to prevent anything from getting on the shaft, I cleaned the area in the pic above and the seal and pressed it back in, than gave it a tap on each side with a flat punch and hammer.

Have to go get some gear oil now to re-fill the trans, if it holds great, if not will have to order the seal and take it apart further,

Thanks for the replies,

@ Adam, the shaft only moves in and out and does less than a quarter turn, it does not rotate inside the seal, it is only the shaft the shifter connects too.

Just fyi I always grease both the inside and outside diameter of engine and transmission seals when I install them, for both reasons mentioned here. Been doing it this way for years without issue and that's how I was taught to do it by a mechanic of 50 years. My 2 c.

Exactly! One to seat, the other to seal...

B

Well mistakingly removed the drain plug thinking it was the

Fill plug !!! Plenty of gear oil in the tranny still

! (Well there was until I did what I just said),

No one near by seems to carry gl4 gear oil in a size smaller than a gallon so I went to ace hardware to pick up the same amsoil I have in it now, they didn't have any, manager called another store, a napa store no one had it,

Than he called a auto parts/ marine store who said they had

The gear oil, and off I went. Further than I expected to have to drive, bought 2 quarts at $14.80

Each,

Put half a quart in and about a quarter of another bottle I already had until the

Oil started to come out the hole. Took it for a test drive, parked it in driveway I just got done cleaning, dried any water that was under the car, let it sit about am hour, nothing on the ground so far, hopefully it will hold.

Now working on the headlight that I noticed the glass lens was not attached to the housing !!! Hope the stuff I bought works otherwise will be ordering a cheap e bay replacement

Well mistakingly removed the drain plug thinking it was the

Fill plug !!! Plenty of gear oil in the tranny still

! (Well there was until I did what I just said),

No one near by seems to carry gl4 gear oil in a size smaller than a gallon so I went to ace hardware to pick up the same amsoil I have in it now, they didn't have any, manager called another store, a napa store no one had it,

Than he called a auto parts/ marine store who said they had

The gear oil, and off I went. Further than I expected to have to drive, bought 2 quarts at $14.80

Each,

Put half a quart in and about a quarter of another bottle I already had until the

Oil started to come out the hole. Took it for a test drive, parked it in driveway I just got done cleaning, dried any water that was under the car, let it sit about am hour, nothing on the ground so far, hopefully it will hold.

Don't feel bad, I pulled a bone head move like that not too long ago myself. I let myself be distracted when I was doing an oil change on the wife's Matrix, and pulled the tranny drain plug instead of the engine oil drain plug. I caught it right away and only lost about a pint, but still... :doh:

$15/qt? That hurts!

B

None of the auto parts stores were showing any GL4 gear oil, other than in large containers. I already had the Amsoil in the trans I didn;t want to mix synthetic and normal oil as I know how thick the "Dino" gear oil normally is, the Amsoil gear oil looks like water when you shake the bottle, it's been working fine since I had the new 5 speed tranny put in.

But than I was thinking if the seal doesn't hold and it leaks again, than I'm wasting $15 Qt gear oil. But as I said, I have looked under the car and at the tranny a few times through out the day and no signs of any leaks.