EGR delete

jsf

I have removed the egr system and am experimenting with resistors the remove the cel. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I have to ask; why did you remove the EGR system?

Usually a EGR delete in a vehicle requires the PCM to be programmed. If its a temp sensor giving you fits, then you have to determine the temperature it normally looks for and at that temp, what resistance is created. Then get a resistor to match that.

• Like 1

I removed the egr after replacing my valve cover gaskets. The original egr was cross threaded so i did not reinstall it. I made some block off plates and drove it for a week. I planned on reinstalling a new egr but the truck ran better and my gas mileage improved so i decided to leave it off.

The fsm says that 1 volt is what should be coming back from the sensor. Is it as simple as adding a 1 volt resistor? Are some resistors more appropriate for automotive use?

I am an experienced mechanic but i do not have a lot of electrical experience.

Resistors aren't characterized using volts. They are characterized using ohms. To find the correctly sized resistor, you need to know how much voltage is being delivered to the sensor and how much the ECM expects in return. Read page EC-209 to EC-218 from this chapter of the Factory Service Manual. It will help you determine what components you'll need to simulate the sensors.

The resistance of the temp sensor varies with the temperature, so you can't replace it with a simple resistor and still get proper voltages at the ECM. From the description of the system in the above section of the service manual, it seems that if you were to install a low-value resistor to simulate EGR flow, ECM would detect a malfunction under conditions that call for EGR to be off. If you were to install a high-value resistor to simulate the absence of EGR flow, ECM would still detect a malfunction under conditions that call for EGR to be on.

The original egr was cross threaded so i did not reinstall it.

I am an experienced mechanic but i do not have a lot of electrical experience.

So, chase the threads with a roll tap or helicoil it. It'll solve the problem and you won't be spraying NOX everywhere.

In all honesty, our 1999.0 runs flawlessly with the EGR in place, so I don't understand how it would run better. Slightly better mileage I could understand, but how much difference did you see over an extended period of driving?

B

• Like 1

I got 18.5 mixed driving on my last tank. I'm going to run a resistor on the circuit and see what it does. I understand what your saying about different voltage levels being detected by the ecm but it shows the whole acceptable range. In my opinion its worth trying and seeing if it works.

I was getting just over 17 typically. Im sure the fact that i cleaned the plenum and manifold are a contributing factor as well.

• 1 year later...

I just did some googling and it appears that a well-functioning EGR system actually helps fuel economy.

Also, according to the FSM, the computer will detect and throw a code if the EGR temperature sensor doesn't give it what it expects to see.

But here is how you could defeat that if you wanted to:

Instead of connecting to your EGR Temperature sensor, wire the harness through a relay. One side of the relay goes to a 1000Kohm resistor and will be used to tell the ECM that EGR valve is closed.

The other side goes through a 100Kohm resistor and will be used to tell the ECM that the EGR valve is open.

Then you need to use the EGR Control signal to switch the relay on and off so the ECM sees an open EGR valve when it has signaled it to open and a closed EGR valve when it has signaled it to be closed.

(or find someone that can reprogram your ECM to disable the code)

• Like 2