windshield replacement help!

thorpe991

yesterday my window cracked and i called safelite they said it would be around $350usd to replace it (i dont have glass coverage)

at my local jy i can get a window for $35usd ( http://horseheadspickapart.com/content.php?id=44&parts_id=85 ) how hard is it to remove the window? i know i would have to cut the seal and/ or use a wire to cut threw the seal to the inside.

how do i put it into my pathfinder is a kit/seal that i can buy that just sets in with silicone or do i have to silicone the hole thing around?

i would like to get this done this weekend so i dont get a ticket so a quick answer would be really appreciated

I think there is some kind of special glass adhesive that they use. It comes in a tube like caulk but is black. Might do a little digging or check your local parts store. Taking the old glass out is EASY... just use a good pair of gloves, a hammer and a shop vac. Getting the replacement from the donor pathy would be a bit trickier.

It's urethane they use for windshields, also good for re attaching the plastic clips to the window glass that bolt to the regulator, be careful with urethane, a tiny amount like the head of a pin will spread all over you if you don't know it's on your hands !! Lol

I just priced the windshield for the member who bought my PF and the cheapest price down here was $350 if he goes to their shop it was more for them to come out (Safelite was the cheapest).

This is the stuff to use: http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Marine/Home/Products/Catalog/?PC_Z7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECIE20S4K7000000_nid=Z777MMR7KSbeQH8HT14PGTgl

I tried to do it myself once and I broke 3 in the JY before I just gave up. If you could find a used one already pulled that'd be easier. It was on a different vehicle though.

3M window weld is what you use for the seal of the glass and you use a special tool to cut the windshield out. I bought mine on eBay for about 15$. Works great and comes with 3 graduated blade sizes to work the glass out in stages. It has a handle with a pull cord and a blade with a 90 degree bend on the end. The right tools make all the difference!