On Board Air

snowboard419

Planning on some on board air, I have been kicking around some ideas and have landed on trying to use the air conditioning pump but would like to hear from someone that has actually done it. The pump in my ride is a rotary vane pump and I cant find any specific info on using this type of compressor pump for air. I know that piston pumps work great but not sure about this one?

Pump is a pump... just add some kind of oil injection to the system since there will be no refrigerant to lubricate the system, and plumb as usual. A buddy of mine did it with the wd21 compressor and had no issues with it, and soon enough I will be following suit.

Well, it isn't quite as convenient as an on board system but it is much more versatile. I prefer to have the AC for the 1 month out of the year I use it. Just pointing out options...

003_zps8591358b.jpg

002_zps4ec2aace.jpg

B

• Like 1

That thing is sweet, but my ac has not worked since I got the truck and I can do onboard air for much less that the refrigerant cost alone so OBA here we go, hope to have it completed by this weekend.

It is pretty good so far...

I understand what you are saying. I'm sure it had been discussed, but this is the only thread I have found so far...

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/30151-on-board-air-from-stock-ac-compressor/

Maybe search a bit and hopefully find something else? :shrug:

I like that setup where did you get that at???

James

I bought it off of a member parting out his truck/supplies, I was lucky to get a lot of his stuff at reasonable prices.

I can't seem to find them anymore though, so the company probably went under. Viair would probably be the next contender but research the model! Of course, almost any of these can be bolted inside an old ammo can... ;)

B

So I got a few things mocked up and at about 2500 rpm my ac compressor will produce around 130-140 psi at a decent volume. I was able to fill my 26 gal air compressor tank to 60 psi in just a few minutes. The only things I need now are an inline oiler and separator to get the rest plumbed up. I will also need to rig up a throttle switch of some sort because at idle I only get about 30 psi, I would like an electronic set up but a bike shift/cable setup may be the most affordable way to go. I will get some pics up in the next few days.

How are you going to work it so the compressor receives oil (lubricant) but doesn't pass it thru to your air output? I mean you can probably use the input line going to the compressor and put an oiler inline but than you would need some type of filter on the output otherwise oil will be mixing with the air coming out. Just curious.

The older style York compressors would be the best way to go but they are so big and there probably isn't a lot of room to mount one.

In his post he mentioned an oiler and a seperator, those are the devices used in air compressor supplies to do exactly what you asked. Very common and theres about a million types. Any industrial supply outlet will carry them

Yes factory pump is what I am running and yes the air oil separator will keep the oil out of my system and I could probably just dump the oil from the filter right back in to the oiler.

i will be following in your route as soon as i get 240v service at my new place so i can run my welder. i need to make a custom bracket to mount my wd21 pump on my r50 engine assembly (vg33e swap with r50 accessories). can you throw up some pics when you get a chance ? i'd like to see how you did it for ideas! :P

So I got a few things mocked up and at about 2500 rpm my ac compressor will produce around 130-140 psi at a decent volume. I was able to fill my 26 gal air compressor tank to 60 psi in just a few minutes. The only things I need now are an inline oiler and separator to get the rest plumbed up. I will also need to rig up a throttle switch of some sort because at idle I only get about 30 psi, I would like an electronic set up but a bike shift/cable setup may be the most affordable way to go. I will get some pics up in the next few days.

That sounds pretty good! I would be curious what CFM that equals though.

Yes factory pump is what I am running and yes the air oil separator will keep the oil out of my system and I could probably just dump the oil from the filter right back in to the oiler.

In an emergency, yes, but I wouldn't make a habit of it...

B

CAM00036_zps3b5474d9.jpg

I routed the original high side output line around the brake booster, and was originally going to solder the copper fitting to the aluminum pipe but that did not work out at all so I used a small piece of rubber hose to make a coupling.

CAM00039_zpsc25fa66f.jpg

In the center of this orange tube is where I plan on installing the Inline oil separator.

CAM00037_zps6c530cc7.jpg

Here the air comes in through the black pipe and runs through the brass check valve and into the pressure switch/manifold. both of which I pulled out of a small 120v air compressor. I dont have it piped into my storage tank or have a gauge installed yet but it works, and will even run a 1/2" impact gun intermittently. And I have a plan for an electric driven high idle setup.

• Like 2

Yeah I drive my 240sx/300zx in the summer. Pathy is fall/winter/spring vehicle and I never use a/c anyways. West coast of bc never really gets that hot. The ocean regulates the temperature pretty well. Never really used a/c, but I do inflate and deflate my tires a lot when wheeling! Lol

• Like 1

• 1 year later...