Shanghaied!

Karmann

My goodness, that's such a joke!! The guy has 6 decent review (most likely from completely clueless car owners), and every other review is negative!!

But why does yelp allow owners to effectively remove reviews? Thats gives the owner to do exactly what that guy is doing!! Make his business look like the best place on earth! How is this being allowed!?!?!?

Never using Yelp again, proof that common sense is a dying trait among people today...

-Kyle

Yes absolutely, not trusting my dad on mechanics again either, as he liked the scumbag.

• Like 1

Precisely Mr. Precise.

Precise...1. :tongue:

A name given to me by a loving subordinate, and most of the crew as well aparently... :D

Now, if you had said you were hoodwinked there wouldn't have been any confusion, any nautical metaphores, much less the euphemism connotation.

*sigh*

B

• Like 1

Precise...1. :tongue:

A name given to me by a loving subordinate, and most of the crew as well aparently... :D

Now, if you had said you were hoodwinked there wouldn't have been any confusion, any nautical metaphores, much less the euphemism connotation.

*sigh*

B

Oh what a pain :laugh: I could write a sea shanty about a mechanic whale who swallowed up me wallet.

You have an issue with surreal bro? P...

It is in the Off Topic section and the OP participated, so that gives a bit of latitude, no?

Hey, occasionally I'm observant. Take advantage of me knowing a big word...

You nailed it, no doubt of that.

Oh what a pain :laugh: I could write a sea shanty about a mechanic whale who swallowed up me wallet.

I think I would rather enjoy that... :D

no one likes to get there "flagship" man handled.....

well mostly no one?

No one said 'man handled' other than you. Quit projecting!

:tongue:

B

• Like 1

You have an issue with surreal bro? P...

It is in the Off Topic section and the OP participated, so that gives a bit of latitude, no?

B

(Shhhh, B, I'm trying to recruit Karmann to the PoHo. . . . :ph33r: )

• Like 1

Also in more news, and back on topic. To add to my observations post-op, I checked my oil when I was filling up, and it was indeed low! But it wasn't even close to being low before entering the shop so..... Shanghaied yet again!

• Like 1

I'm almost to the dark side, but still don't quite understand it hahaha

Good luck figuring those wHack jobs out in poho.

Had a car come intheshop today (Ford Fusion) with brand new PA saftey inspection for a flat tire. Thing was so bald there wasn't even an outline of what the tread looked like (matching on the other side as well) and cords hanging out octave rear tires. Go to pull it in, the electronic power steering don't work. Get it on the lift and in the air and it has a tie rod with about an inch of play. Pull the wheels and all the brakes are into the rotors. That dude needs a new mechanic (and that inspection mechanic that did it needs some new specs)

• Like 1

So today while doing an oil change, I find out the rear stabilizer bar wasn't tightened down- hence the clunk. Also the one of the four bolts that hold on my skidplate were "replaced" because the morons couldn't figure out how to properly turn a wrench, along with the other washers, it's a mess. I called them to confront and find that bolt (very hard to find) and were in denial, said it was missing already. (It was not). So I let them have it, burned the bridge, and won't be seeing them ever again.

• Like 1

Good luck figuring those wHack jobs out in poho.

Had a car come intheshop today (Ford Fusion) with brand new PA saftey inspection for a flat tire. Thing was so bald there wasn't even an outline of what the tread looked like (matching on the other side as well) and cords hanging out octave rear tires. Go to pull it in, the electronic power steering don't work. Get it on the lift and in the air and it has a tie rod with about an inch of play. Pull the wheels and all the brakes are into the rotors. That dude needs a new mechanic (and that inspection mechanic that did it needs some new specs)

we call that a rubber safety up here. Pay the man cash for the sticker but it'll bounce out of any reputable shop.

Next time spend the money on tools and do it yourself...

I think he's learned this already. sometimes garage space is the hard one to find.

^This. Only in the last 8 years of my life have I had a garage of my own to work in. The rest of the time it was in a carport on gravel, on an uncovered driveway or on the street and for the most part, it sucks! It makes jobs longer and harder, if nothing else.

Apparently he also works and goes to school which doesn't leave much room for wrenching either. Ahh, the good old days... :rolleyes:

B

I gotta say, it's nice to see this was a independent shop and not a dealer for once. Crappy techs and shops like this give people like Nunya and myself a bad name. I have never met Nunya in person, but I can tell he takes pride in his work, as do I. Good techs are hard to find because too many owners want to hire the cheapest person possible to make money. Too many uneducated people are in this business who should never touch a wrench. Why this is commonplace is beyond me. I always recommend when trying to find a new shop, to go in for something small and check the place out. People try to save money by going to theses places, but in the long run, they pay more and more. Sorry this happened to you and hope you get it figured out.

• Like 1

See my Yelp review :laugh: The scumbag downvotes any negative review so all the unsatisfied customers aren't seen. Giving him effectively a 4.5 star rating.

Forget Yelp!

The more money businesses pay Yelp! , the less negative reviews they post, Research it on the interwebs, it's a big scam.

Report the rip off merchants to ASE, BBB, the attorney General Of California & anyone else you can think of.

Edited by theexbrit

Thus far I haven't had need for a press until now so haven't needed to make the investment. Nor do I have the time to wrench, except on weekends, which are filled with visiting my gf and doing ample studying. I love working on my car, but sometimes I don't have the time or tools, hence the shop. Which was obviously a bad decision. So now I will further budget my time to make it for the pathy (might be in the dark hahaha)

Edited by Karmann
  • Like 1

And to the techs, if you're reputable, good on you ;) The guys at my nissan dealer are pretty knowledgable, and even put up with my OCD hehe, I just only go for recalls and stock parts though.

Also, thank you all for sticking with me and offering such great advice. It means a lot, and I will report if it continues. :)

while I'm not an auto mechanic, I was raised in a shop. My Old Man was THE guy to go to for VWs and other euro imports. He ran his business by himself for 30 years. He hardly spent a dime on advertising but never lacked for work. People would drive hours to have him fix their cars. He based his success entirely on doing quality work and being honest. Now that he is retired and I live 2000 km away his advice for finding a good mechanic is sometimes necessary.

1. Is the shop clean? If they take pride in themselves they will in their work.

2. ask around for word of mouth reviews. nothing beats first hand knowledge by people you know and trust.

3. quality of cars on the lot. beater cars usualy get beater treatment.

4. If possible, talk with the owner and or mechanic, trust your gut if you get a good "vibe"

• Like 1

I gotta say, it's nice to see this was a independent shop and not a dealer for once. Crappy techs and shops like this give people like Nunya and myself a bad name. I have never met Nunya in person, but I can tell he takes pride in his work, as do I. Good techs are hard to find because too many owners want to hire the cheapest person possible to make money. Too many uneducated people are in this business who should never touch a wrench. Why this is commonplace is beyond me. I always recommend when trying to find a new shop, to go in for something small and check the place out. People try to save money by going to theses places, but in the long run, they pay more and more. Sorry this happened to you and hope you get it figured out.

:beer:

Not that anyone wants to hear it but yes, it is good to hear it ain't dealer bashing. People jump on the "stealership" bandwagon far too often with far too little to go from and ramble off the 'little shops are the only way to go' stuff. (And yes I work at the small family owned small shop). We have gladly and happily sent people TO dealerships that we know are good for issues they would be better set up at handling than us and will gladly look up/research recalls/tsbs for our customers old and new. That being said, there are very few people I would let ride in WhiteOwl let alone wrench on, and never meeting 5523 in person (yet, the Mrs and I WILL be doing a NPORA roadtrip someday), he is on that list of people I could hand my keys over to in confidence without a second thought (and there are members here I wouldn't let scrap one of my parts bicycles).

longer and harder

B

while I'm not an auto mechanic, I was raised in a shop. My Old Man was THE guy to go to for VWs and other euro imports. He ran his business by himself for 30 years. He hardly spent a dime on advertising but never lacked for work. People would drive hours to have him fix their cars. He based his success entirely on doing quality work and being honest. Now that he is retired and I live 2000 km away his advice for finding a good mechanic is sometimes necessary.

1. Is the shop clean? If they take pride in themselves they will in their work.

2. ask around for word of mouth reviews. nothing beats first hand knowledge by people you know and trust.

3. quality of cars on the lot. beater cars usualy get beater treatment.

4. If possible, talk with the owner and or mechanic, trust your gut if you get a good "vibe"

Only thing I cant get 100% behind here is #3, using our shop as example. Since we do police towing as well, our lot always has a chance of having some real junk on it, that and we have some customers who can't afford nice new cars. Just because I hate Grand Ams, I still will treat that Pile of crap 97 GT that comes in with the same care and attention as a new AMG Mercedes. Otherwise, I fully agree