PATHY DOWN! WONT START!

93_ditchfindah

somebody please help me before i scrap my truck. ive gone through almost everything. brand new starter. brand new ignition. brand new inhibitor fuse. only thing left is the clutch safety switch but i already try bypassing it and still nothing. truck has full power battery is at 12.2volt even when i turn it over. NOT CRANKING AT ALL. i was driving the truck perfectly. shut it off at when i went to go start it... nothing.

shes getting juice to the starter and i can kickstart the starter by touch a screwdriver on both starter terminals. what the hell is going on!!!

starter relay? There is always power going to the starter solenoid as the large wire runs directly from the battery, so when you go to start it it's not doing anything? I would check for power at the wire going to the starter solenoid (coming from the relay), if no power at the connection at the starter than go back and check it at the relay. Have someone turn the key to "start" and check to see if power is making it to the relay and if it is coming out of the relay. If you have an extra starter relay try swapping it and see what happens.

Let us know what you find and we will go on from there, unless you figure it out and if you do let us know, thanks.

starter relay? There is always power going to the starter solenoid as the large wire runs directly from the battery, so when you go to start it it's not doing anything? I would check for power at the wire going to the starter solenoid (coming from the relay), if no power at the connection at the starter than go back and check it at the relay. Have someone turn the key to "start" and check to see if power is making it to the relay and if it is coming out of the relay. If you have an extra starter relay try swapping it and see what happens.

Let us know what you find and we will go on from there, unless you figure it out and if you do let us know, thanks.

i already traced the starter relay down but (black and pink wired connector). even with new relay no power on my voltometer.

and nope not doing anything no cranking nor clicking. my headlights turn on and dont dim when TRYING to start. the CEL lights all come on all my interior accessories work as their supposed to.... its really driving me crazy..... 3 days so far without my rig.

My understanding is that the starter relay mod fixes a weakness on auto trans Pathfinders, but ones with the five-speed already have a relay there.

It sounds to me like a wiring issue (or a dead ignition switch, but it sounds like you replaced that?). I would pull out the starter relay, figure out which pins do what, and then jumper the two pins that are supposed to connect. If it cranks, then you know the relay isn't getting a signal, and the problem is between the relay and the ignition switch. If it doesn't, remove the jumper and check for voltage across those two pins. If there's voltage, the starter relay isn't hooked up to the starter, and if there's not, well, there's your problem.

• Like 1

Chase the 12 volt current from the battery, to the ignition and back to the starter. You can find the schematics in the Garage section/Factory Service Manual. The 1994 version will be just fine.

Make sure you have good ground contacts, battery, chassis and engine...

B

Hmmm. This is a stretch but here goes. In fact it was the problem I was having that initially brought me to these awesome forums.

I had just bought the Pathfinder (93, SE, 4wd VG30E). Drove it someplace, got out. Got back in tried to start and it wouldn't Checked everything. Lights would turn on, all interior gadgets worked etc as expected. I checked plug wires, coil, fuses etc... It wasn't until I had tried doing a rolling start that the problem became apparent. There was NO power going to the starting system at all, nor was there power going to the coil which could only mean one thing. Either the coil was gone, or the ignition switch had broke.

After a few minutes of pulling the cowl cover from the steering wheel column the problem was almost glaring right at me. The back connector panel of the ignition switch had come loose in its fitting giving just enough room for the key to go back a bit further than it should turning the Pathfinder off. What was happening to me was each time I would then turn the key it could not turn far enough to make the proper connections in the harness and the ignition and power circuits to the engine were not getting power. Spent 15$ on a new replacement ignition switch, and in 5 minutes was back driving..

This problem you are having sound exactly like the one I had. I just hope I am wrong and it is more serious considering the amount of trial and error money you have spent isolating the problem. Good luck..

• Like 1

I think 93 ditchfindah replied in the wrong thread LOL

Anyway to reply to your last post in the other thread the manual trans trucks have a second relay on the drivers side, it's a emergency interlock relay number 14M in the starter section of the FSM under the EL section (used the 94 FSM as 93 is not available online)

I would also suggest cleaning your positive terminal and the bolts that hold the wires to it, they look dirty in the pic you posted in the other thread.

hahaha i did reply to the wrong thread i had 2 pages of npora open on my phone. (shows how addicted i am haha) but heres the last post

well no power to the starter relay on side of battery

0203141529_zpsn7egblf8.jpg

the new igniotion DOES HAVE POWER on side of it on the terminals.

the clutch safety switch is NOT getting any power. whats stopping it? all the in dash fuses are good. another relay im not seeing?

theres only one other fuse box on my rig and its under the hood

0203141529a_zps0i9jygoz.jpg

excuse my term but im really thinking of "nigrigging" it but wanna do it right!!

man i swear im glad you know what i mean when i post stuff up on the pages! i guess im gunna have to give that a try in the a.m.! but if that was junk wudnt istill be getting some feed to my clutch safety switch?

• Like 1

Have you made sure everything is connected to your interlock switch. especially if you have been pulling on wires behind the dash it may have came disconnected.

Not sure if it can be the problem or not. I am not sure as I have permanently jumpered my clutch switch to allow my remote start alarm to work properly

Edited by msavides

haha yes i know that 14m is a relay i dont know why i keep saying fuse haha. and i checked every fuse in the dash. all fuses are good replaced the inhibitor relay, relay 14m, clutch safety switch, new starter, and new ignition. is the ignition relay seperate from ignition because itself?

Your description of when the problem first occurred sounds very familiar. I had a similar experience with my D21 pickup where it drove fine but then won't start on my next try. As I was troubleshooting the problem, I found this quarter-sized rubber padding with a hole in the middle lying on the footwell. This is the rubber padding that engages the clutch switch to make sure that the pedal is depressed all the way when starting. Because of age, the stud on the center of the padding has worn off - the center of the padding is where the switch touches. Without the padding, the clutch pedal now has a hole and the switch is no longer engaged when fully depressing the pedal - the switch simply goes through the hole.without getting activated.

I would give that clutch switch a more thorough check.