Question on wading depth

PerlNinja

Silly question maybe, but the wading depth as mentioned in the owners manual (mine mentions it, at any rate), would that be the conservative value or the absolute maximum? Asking because for those not in the know, Jakarta (where I live) has been having serious flooding ranging from 30cm up to 2 meters of water, and in the past few days I've had to make a few detours around flooded roads where I wasn't entirely sure I could get through it because the depth (as judged by some guy standing in the middle of it... strange dude that..) seemed to be higher than the wading depth from the manual.

I'd rather not do the "try and see" approach ;)

• Like 1

Not a WD expert by any means, but most factory manuals don't suggest going into water over the hubs. (IE the center of your wheels) In my R50 I've been past this level and about 3/4 up the tire without difficulty, but again, it's more of a guessing game the closer you get to your intake. The hubs are usually the safest bet.

• Like 2

The stock air intake on a Pathy R50 faces the rear of the car & sits under the driver side front fender at about the level of the top of the wheel arch. Silverton is right, he's been very lucky if he's been going thru water that deep. Most of the time as long as you keep moving at a fast walking pace, the "bow wave" will keep the water from going into the air intake. It's risky though & personally i don't want to even take a chance on a hydraulic-ed engine, hence my poor mans snorkel. :lol:

• Like 2

Mainly don't suck air into the air box, and don't let the floorboards flood as the ECU sits under the passenger seat.

:scratchhead:

Not a WD expert by any means, but most factory manuals don't suggest going into water over the hubs. (IE the center of your wheels) In my R50 I've been past this level and about 3/4 up the tire without difficulty, but again, it's more of a guessing game the closer you get to your intake. The hubs are usually the safest bet.

This is mainly talking about moving water as the vehicle can be swept away, running merrily along the whole time. ;)

If this is something that happens regularly, you should invest in a snorkel.

You can make do by using the Aussie tarp trick. These guys explain things well, even if they don't get out of the creek quickly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvdQQmHdT9g

Another trick is to have a telescoping rod that you can probe the bottom with when you can't see...

B

• Like 2

Mainly don't suck air into the air box, and don't let the floorboards flood as the ECU sits under the passenger seat.

Not in mine, that's another thing that came to mind because my Pathy is apparently a bit of a frankensteinian affair - it's a 2002, built on the WD21 platform, Z24 carburated engine, with most of the electronic doohickeys wedged behind the dashboard. The only thing that is under the seat (drivers seat) is pressure sensor for the central locking, it'll lock the doors if you're seated and start the engine.

I've been in water up over the tires several times, and on rare occasion have done the submarine thing. No snorkel but I have incredible luck! ;)

Sounds like it :D

My intake is sitting pretty much at the level of the hood lip on the front left of the car, at least, that's where the rubber hose going from the air filter ends up.

No snorkel. Stay below the top of the wheel well. Be safe and stick to top of the tire and move at a slow pace, to keep the bow wave moving.

Yeah I settled on the tops of the wheels being the cutoff, the problem with moving is that... well, most people in Indonesia can't be accused of knowing how to drive at the best of times, and at times like these they tend to turn into single-celled organisms. Harsh but true...

Anyway, I had to leave yesterday before I read this so that's why I figured top of the wheels, I was by myself (she who must be obeyed and the munchkin decided to stay home while I ran my errands), and figured fskc it, if I get stuck or otherwise end up sucking up water, I'll deal with it then and there. No shortage of big rigs that are more than willing to give you a tow.

It worked out :)

Check your fluids afterwords (including diffs) for signs of water and change accordingly after the trip as well.

diff, singular :(

Checked that earlier today after thinking about what all had been submerged, nothing but the proper fluids in there. Only thing that I noticed is that I'm getting some water coming up through the firewall, a bunch of stuff that's supposed to have rubber grommets in them no longer have them, so will get that sorted eventually :D

About the leak that you think is coming from the firewall made me think that it might actually be coming from the floor just up behind the gas pedal.

Since you mentioned its the same body style as the WD21 this model is notorious for rotting in that area...heat from the exhaust pipes that run close to that spot tends to accelerate corrosion.

Please post some pics of your truck :)

Looks like it has all been covered here!

Good job Perlninja on being cautious when you are not sure! Props for actually reading your owner's manual!! :aok:

Anyone who has gone out in stuff like that can tell you that it can be deeper than it looks and you cant see drop offs well if you do not walk it first.

Anything higher than the wheel hubs and you risk getting water into the breather hose(s) for the differential(s) especailly if you wade slow or stop. Running though a spot of water fast you are probably ok!

Anything higher than the top of the tires or exhaust pipe and you are getting dangerously close to trouble!

Going that high you need to have good door and rear hatch seals too our it will get wet inside!

• Like 1

I've been in several situations where water has come up over the hood, and I regretted having the windows open. I took a bath that time! After getting home from several a wheelin trip I've had to let it idle with the A/C on blast to dry everything out.

Again, incredibly lucky. I even have a ram air scoop snorkel in a box. Just need to be unlazy and work out the plumbing.

About the leak that you think is coming from the firewall made me think that it might actually be coming from the floor just up behind the gas pedal.

Since you mentioned its the same body style as the WD21 this model is notorious for rotting in that area...heat from the exhaust pipes that run close to that spot tends to accelerate corrosion.

Please post some pics of your truck :)

It's RHD ;) It's the places where the cables for the gas pedal and some of the brake and clutch assembly go through the firewall, bunch of grommets missing there (at least, it seems they should have them). Used a tip I saw on the forum here somewhere a while ago and cut some from a hose. Floods receded so no way to test it out easily but... :D

Pics:

The ride:

J7q8m.jpg

Front grille that everyone seems to dig:

8WVXz.jpg

Factory standard dash that looks pretty sweet:

Ey8fK.jpg

The power plant:

AoahA.jpg

This shows nicely where my air intake is at:

lflFx.jpg

The throne:

wPOb2.jpg

And my center bits:

FGXBA.jpg

Looks like it has all been covered here!

Good job Perlninja on being cautious when you are not sure! Props for actually reading your owner's manual!! :aok:

Anyone who has gone out in stuff like that can tell you that it can be deeper than it looks and you cant see drop offs well if you do not walk it first.

Anything higher than the wheel hubs and you risk getting water into the breather hose(s) for the differential(s) especailly if you wade slow or stop. Running though a spot of water fast you are probably ok!

Anything higher than the top of the tires or exhaust pipe and you are getting dangerously close to trouble!

Going that high you need to have good door and rear hatch seals too our it will get wet inside!

Thanks, but admittedly... I do have a habit of not reading it and just doing things; usually if I'm by myself in the car I'll take a chance because worst case scenario it's just giving me some grief, but any time I need to transport she who must be obeyed and our little mini-boss (and he sure is a bossy 3 year old) I don't like taking chances. It's only water but getting stuck with no way out except to wade/swim is not really an option.

Regarding dropoffs and such, a lot of people get caught out by it, they may be flooded streets but given the um... rather... atrocious quality of construction, they tend to generate potholes due to heavily loaded trucks literally ripping the crap out of everything; when I was out for example we were directed by some kids to move over into a busway lane (also flooded), a truck that followed us didn't and nearly tipped over when it went through what appeared to be a pothole at least a foot deep. A car that followed the truck (because obviously waiting wasn't in their plans) went through it and ended up not only sucking copious amounts of water, but also wrecked it's front suspension. Didn't wait around for the followup but yeah... it's a pain.

The breather hose is still where it's at, not extended, and I've had the diff submerged while stopped, maybe it's clogged or otherwise gummed because there's no water in the oil. Will have to check that out, maybe extend it up some.

It will get wet inside, the door seals are pretty much shot in the rear, the climate here has rather detrimental effects on anything rubber, but then again the climate here also tends to dry out anything that got wet in a hurry. She who must be obeyed has already gotten used to the fact that our car (albeit being a 2 wheel drive) is more rugged than anything she's owned before, and can take a generous helping of punishment, so she's alright with it.

For everyone, thanks for all the advice and such, appreciate it :) I'm considering doing some work on getting a bit more of a safety margin on wading depth, and I'll see if I can get that picturized and posted up some time :)

The breather hose is still where it's at, not extended, and I've had the diff submerged while stopped, maybe it's clogged or otherwise gummed because there's no water in the oil. Will have to check that out, maybe extend it up some.

That is a quick easy thing to do, Given the weather and rain you get there regularly doing so would be very useful! It will at least take one think off your mind to not worry about.

That is a quick easy thing to do, Given the weather and rain you get there regularly doing so would be very useful! It will at least take one think off your mind to not worry about.

It does look like a case of a fair bit of rubber hose and some lockers, just trying to figure out where to route it so it doesn't pinch anywhere and can move with suspension travel and all that, think I got it figured out but will have to wait until tomorrow to work on it, I was crazy enough to get under it at 10pm with my flashlight but it's started pissing rain again so called it a day.

Doesn't the transmission have a breather tube as well? Because I might as well just go for the full monty if I'm crawling around under there anyway.

Aside: the great thing about Pathfinders? They're pretty easy to get under even for a lardass like myself without having to jack anything up at all :D

I go mudding, or what I call wading, every weekend. Basically I drive through swamp water trails in the forest here. I do not have a snorkel yet, so I know from experience , as someone said earlier, about to the top of the wheel well is safe AT SLOW SPEEDS! The faster you go water starts flooding around your engine compartment like a washing machine, then you will start sucking water in. I drove down a 2 feet deep water road last week at dumb high speeds and it was sucking water in waayyyy too much. So the slower the better when you get halfway up your doors.

No choice but to go slow anyway, I tend to drive slow enough that I can feel it in the steering wheel if I'm about to hit a pothole so I can steer out of it; not sure if that feeling bit makes sense but... yeah.

Aside: the great thing about Pathfinders? They're pretty easy to get under even for a lardass like myself without having to jack anything up at all :D

:yeahthat:

The pothole bit might make sense... if you're going slow enough and the potholes have a bit of roughness around them, driving by braille might work out alright.

Now you've got me wondering, though... maybe if you took a fish finder, adjusted the range a bit, and screwed it to your front bumper... :fish:

:yeahthat:

The pothole bit might make sense... if you're going slow enough and the potholes have a bit of roughness around them, driving by braille might work out alright.

Now you've got me wondering, though... maybe if you took a fish finder, adjusted the range a bit, and screwed it to your front bumper... :fish:

Bit late to reply but been a tad busy; the pothole thing is a case of just feeling the car; when I drive across "rough" ground I don't really hold the steering wheel much, as in I don't have a death grip on it. I let it move quite freely, until it's time to not have it move freely. The second you start dipping into a pothole, ditch, or other stuff you don't want to smash through, you can feel the car tip and pull into it, and that's when you move out of it. Can't do it if you're going too fast obviously.

Thankfully I don't need a fish finder... there's usually a bunch of kids mucking about in the water (well, what passes for water anyway), and they're more than happy to walk you through for some small change. And if there's no kids, then there's always a few enterprising fellows who provide said service for somewhat more small change. It's crazy, I can fill a book on Indonesian traffic oddities...