push-starting my pathfinder

radex7

After accidentally draining my battery in the middle of nowhere, and humbly calling park rangers to drive out to remote location and giving me a jump, I started parking "nose down" so I can push-start the car in case something silly like that happens to me again. Fortunately the lesson was learned and I did not need to do that. But just a few days ago, I was out in the woods again, parked as usually - nose down, I decided to push-start my pathfinder (2001 SE, 5-speed) for practice. Imagine my surprise when the car did not turn over! It was a long and steep slope, I tried it in 1,2, and 3 gears, and everytime after I released my clutch I just kept rolling. Before you ask - the key was in, and turned to the ON position. Do you guys have any Ideas/suggestion why I wasn't able to do that? Did I miss something? Could me being in 4WD at the moment have anything to do with it? As a precaution + good skill to have I would really like to solve it as I spend a lot of time in the woods.

Thank you!

I'm thinking he has a stick and is just trying to catch it in gear. R50s have the "interlock" switch? I don't know if it's in my head but I can only get mine to catch if I click it over.

How worn is your clutch? Did the rolling motion slow down such that the engine was turning over just not firing? Or was it unimpeded like with he clutch in?

The clutch is fine, and picked up as expected, engine was turning over but it was not firing - just like you said.

I may know the culprit:

I recently replaced all the pedal rubber stoppers on my 96 with a stick shift. There are two on the brake pedal - one for the brake light switch and one for the cruise, and there are three on the clutch - one for the cruise, one to keep metal from rubbing on metal as you release the clutch, and one engages a safety switch that requires the clutch to be depressed to start.

Look under, where the pedals are, and the switch will be on the firewall where the clutch pedal touches at full depression. You should be able to rig up a stopper with some duct tape or something that you can use to tape over it to push in the switch. That will tell the ECU the clutch is depressed so it will enable fuel to the injectors, and the mechanical action of the clutch should engage the engine.

Anyone see any potential liabilities to this safety workaround?

Edited by linewar

Afaik the only thing the clutch safety switch does is not allow the starter to engage or turn... It should be able to roll start. I've done it many times on cars that have this switch. And my brother has a 92 s10 with one that does it. I find it really odd that it won't start. Hopefully the op has the key turned to the "run" position during push starting.

If you disable the clutch safety switch you will be able to start the truck in gear with the clutch not having to be pushed In. Thus the truck will lurch forward and can hit something as a result. :)

• Like 1

Afaik the only thing the clutch safety switch does is not allow the starter to engage or turn... It should be able to roll start. I've done it many times on cars that have this switch. And my brother has a 92 s10 with one that does it. I find it really odd that it won't start. Hopefully the op has the key turned to the "run" position during push starting.

That may be true. I'm thinking it has a built-in redundancy of disabling fuel flow in addition to not allowing the starter to engage. If it doesn't work, it may be a fuel disabling feature of the security system, since the engine is turning but not firing. Otherwise, I'm at a loss.

If you disable the clutch safety switch you will be able to start the truck in gear with the clutch not having to be pushed In. Thus the truck will lurch forward and can hit something as a result. :)

Always a good decision.

For what its worth, I have a US spec 2001 4wd 5sp manual with 3.5 gas engine and have developed a problem with the clutch safety switch this week. As a result, I have roll or push started it 3 times in the past 2 days without any problem. Ignition to on, get up to speed and engage clutch in 2nd gear. Don't know about yours but for 2001, there is no issue with needing to bypass clutch safety switch as it only impacts starter motor, not ignition circuit.

For what its worth, I have a US spec 2001 4wd 5sp manual with 3.5 gas engine and have developed a problem with the clutch safety switch this week. As a result, I have roll or push started it 3 times in the past 2 days without any problem. Ignition to on, get up to speed and engage clutch in 2nd gear. Don't know about yours but for 2001, there is no issue with needing to bypass clutch safety switch as it only impacts starter motor, not ignition circuit.

Interesting, and weird. Well, I will give it a shot again eventually, will also try to do it in reverse as well.

Thank you all for your input. Feel free to share if you have any more ideas.

r