Guess it's time for ANOTHER thread... :/

Kyle94

Discovered the diodes inside my alternator are bad. It happened before I installed my new stereo system. But I thought it was something else. Turns out the whine I get is the alternator itself. I can unplug it and it goes away. Ugh. That's gonna be slightly expensive. Not sure if it's related to any of the problems I've been having with The engine or not.

Causing a high idle when running and an idle fluctuation when started? It runs fine otherwise. I guess I could drive it for two months or so until tax time and just take it in. I'm really at a loss as to what else to check. I've checked all the vacuum lines. Sprayed them and nothing happened. The egr valve appear to move freely. New distributor fixed the rough running problem. Need I mention the idle got higher only after I cleaned the throttle body... What the hell happened??

i didn't clean the iacv?? not even sure which part that is. i'd look it up, but it appears nicoclub doesn't offer the fsm online anymore. and didn't have a reason to down load the fsm for a 98 back then lol. ill see if i can find a pic.

but anyway, i just cleaned the TB and sealed the intake to hard tube boot.

SO far i've changed distributor, cap, rotor, and wires with known good working units. New plugs. Cleaned tb. and checkd for vacuum leaks, and the egr seems fine. ... if i could afford to change all the sensor i could think of i'd do it.

I give..... It's going to a shop or the nissan dealer (i think they want 100$ to look at it iirc) when i get paid tuesday.... I don't have the ability to hook it up to anything, and i've done lost my patience with it. It wins.

I've had that miss fire issue and just did new cap rotor plugs and still had miss. Changed to plus fuel thinking blown ring but turns out the distrib was done. Replaced distrib this month and I don't have to pay extra for fuel. So you might want to try testing that distributor make sure it is putting out what it should. Take it a part down to the coil pack make sure there's no burn marks.

New distributor is installed already. Now the only isusses im battling are as follows:

1. High idle, surging on startup. Idle about 1400 rpm.
  2. alternator whine (i can HEAR the alternator in the engine bay.
  3. Clunk on road bumps or when i hit the brakes. i know i have a loose inner tie rod end drivers side. (okay not loose, worn?)
  4. RMS leak... Just dumped about two quarts into it. :(

if anyone has any idea's on 1 & 3, i'm all ears. Only thing i haven't checked/cleaned is the IACV (i dont want to remove the intake.... :lol: ) nor do i know what all has to come undone.