Lost reverse,

kidscollegefund

Luckily for you r50 guys the tranny is easier to remove. You could save some labor costs by removing it yourself if you have thr time/place/tools. All you really need are long extensions and a good jack.

First day getting my patchy back, tranny feels nice and tight now. No slop, chugs or clunks that were there before. Should be good for another 200k miles. Have to try out 4wd to make sure that's all good still. Shop said to take it easy for a while.

Change the fluid (drain & fill) in 1k miles and then in 3k miles and install a Magnefine. There will be new break in wear and crap from the rebuild process (the shop is not a clean room) you'll want to get out of there ASAP.

Edited by Towncivilian

You can run the Magnefine for 10k miles I feel before replacement. Or if you're doing a full fluid exchange using the cooler lines, I would suggest to do that in 5k miles (most break in wear will have occurred by then) and replace the filter at the same time. Then do full fluid exchanges plus Magnefine replacement every 30k miles.

Is the Magnefine plumbed after your aux cooler? What is the cooler rated for? If you don't know, provide its model number.

OK, sounds good. Ideally after a trans failure the filter would be after all the coolers to catch any debris that may work itself out of the coolers, but that's in a worst case scenario if the trans grenaded and spewed junk throughout the lubrication circuit *and* the lazy salaried tech didn't flush the cooler(s) like he was supposed to.

Your setup is fine, keep it as is. Your trans failure was not catastrophic so there shouldn't be a gigantic amount of debris in the aux cooler, especially because the filter probably caught it all already.

Magnefine is an inline transmission filter containing about 35 micron filtering media and a magnet similar to the one found in a transmission pan. All fluid is directed over the magnet so effectively all ferrous wear material is captured; this somewhat increases the overall efficiency of the filter. There is a bypass valve should the filtering media become clogged; even with the bypass in operation, all fluid is still directed over the magnet so some filtering is still being done. The filters cost around $20 shipped. You can find photos of its internals after 13k miles in use on my Pathfinder here.

Edited by Towncivilian

Rebuild and new u-joints that were sloppy/worn was about $3k. Also replaced some internal gears that are not part of a typical rebuild and torque converter. Feels like it has a bit more power too, we'll see once I get it out of the break-in period.

Edited by kidscollegefund
  • Like 1