Custom tools to get the job done

cvdloc

http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag52/cvdloc/image_zps3ff367b8.jpg

So I decided to do my oil and oil filter today but, even with 2 different oil wrenches I couldn't get it off for the life of me, so I thought to myself, what can I do... Wafer screws!

Upload your custom tools for the job! Even though mine isn't extreme, It worked in the first minute of adding the screws!

When I had the JDM engine installed I had my mechanic leave the Japanese filter on until I could make sure there were no leaks. After I found there were no leaks I changed the oil, I couldn't get the oil filter off with any of the tools I had, I ended up having to put a strip of rubber inside the filter wrench, (like the one you have), and had to put a pipe on the handle to get the filter to move !!

They are in such a bad spot too! Blocked in by the starter and alternator you can't really get at it, I tucked myself inside the wheel well.

And really I maybe moved it a quarter turn (at the most) and it came off by hand after.

If you can't get enough grip on a filter or its way too tight and don't have a filter wrench, take a hose clamp and clamp it tight. Screwdriver on the end and hit it with a hammer. Works great. I've made a few tools for stuff, BMW fan play holder tool, oil filter adapted tightening tool, can tool, and something else. I would upload pics but they were in my toolbox that was stolen.

I have stuck a screwdriver through the side and when I went to turn it it literally tore the damn filter in half :laugh: while the threaded portion did not move. I think the PO put 'er on a little tight :lmao:

Edited by SilverPath

The most custom thing I've used was a piece of rubber hose and a plastic root beer bottle with the bottom cut off as a funnel.

A while back I took an old electric toothbrush, cut the bristles off, and glued a piece of sandpaper to it... not the best tool ever but it was pretty good for model work.

Drilled a hole in a penny to use as an emergency washer for a bolt that was just a tiny bit too long, have a 13mm wrench bent at 90 degrees which is for getting at the rear starter bolt in aircooled Bugs but not too much else. I'm a machinist with 2.5, 5-6' tall roll around boxes so I have a pretty good selection which generally precludes custom tool making. Kind of funnyy actually, as I've made countless tools in the course of my employment.

B

• 2 weeks later...

I keep a variety of end wrenches to use as special tools. They are not my normal wrenches. If one needs to be cut, bent or whatever no big deal.

• 4 weeks later...

I ended up buying a metal oil filter wrench that fits onto a 3/8ths ratchet. The tighter you press on the ratchet, the more the wrench arms bite into the filter.

Bought it when I got tired of the screwdriver trick on my previous vw.

/>

I ended up buying a metal oil filter wrench that fits onto a 3/8ths ratchet. The tighter you press on the ratchet, the more the wrench arms bite into the filter.

How do you find it to work? They didn't have the right size for me when I needed one

I use a stout hose clamp to tighten around an oil filter then tap the screwdriver or nut driver with a hammer to spin the stuck ones off. Works well so long as there's enough room.

/>

Didn't realize I already posted in this thread! :lol:

Hahah would this count as a double post? Lol

I don't know about my luck but every first oil change I have done has been a pain, damn po's, usually I can just take them off by hand, it's tough but eat some spinach and your good hahah

Hahah would this count as a double post? Lol

I don't know about my luck but every first oil change I have done has been a pain, damn po's, usually I can just take them off by hand, it's tough but eat some spinach and your good hahah

Tbh I think that the strap type filter wrench is the best tool/method to remove a oil filter. If you have a really stuck filter sometimes stabbing a screw driver in it and turning it is a bad idea because you run the risk of destroying the whole filter and making it even more of a nightmare, whereas with the strap wrench it grips around the whole filter and it works much better than the standard type of filter wrench as you can easily use it for tight spaces. You can use socket extensions and swivel joints and what not on them. The 3 jaw filter tool doesn't really work great for filters that are really stuck on either. All this is based on my first filter change on my 89 terrano which had a nissan filter which I can only assume that its last filter change was in japan, I have tried all the filter tools mention in my post and found the strap type to be the most helpful of them all. If you are on the market for a filter tool I would recommend a strap type filter wrench as they are generally cheap and have the most surface are contact on the filter hence an easier removal. I have included some pictures for those that do not know what type of wrenches I am talking about and the second picture shows where the screw driver method can go wrong.

08-0069.jpg

How-to-Remove-a-Stubborn-Oil-Filter-400x

Worlds+Best+Oil+Filter+Wrench.jpg

Yeah I think someone had their filter break on them...

/>

I have stuck a screwdriver through the side and when I went to turn it it literally tore the damn filter in half :laugh: while the threaded portion did not move. I think the PO put 'er on a little tight :lmao:

Lol but I never consider straps? Hmm I guess the saying there is more than one way to skin a cat can be used here. I like the wrench method and how you can just add extension bits, because we all know where the oil filter is located on the nissan engines.. Damn Japanese and their fancy designs

image_zps3ff367b8.jpg

Ill repost my picture since I didn't imagize it last time. The only down fall is leaky oil, now there is a couple oil spots where I park lol

Ahh, yes, I have one of those somewhere as well. It is a but limited in it's size capacity though.

This seems to be a better one...

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/WESTWARD-Oil-Filter-Wrench-1EKJ5?Pid=search

You could even drill a hole in each foot for spikes like ^his idea.

B

I broke one of those. It was a cheap auto parts store one. I put an oil filter relocation on. Much easier to get at.

• 4 months later...

Had to pull the fan on my friend's Astro this weekend, and found that a special tool was needed to hold the water pump still. I didn't have the special tool but an aluminum clipboard with a 1/2" hole drilled near the bottom edge fit right over one of the pulley bolts, braced on another one, and was thin enough for us to get a pipe wrench in there and unscrew the fan. :) Best part was, when it was time to put the fan back on, we just turned the clipboard over and braced the pulley the other way.