Jacks are for lifting, not supporting a vehicle! This is why they are so important.

RedPath88

Is that a ramp?? Can't zoom in too far on my phone.

Huh? Looks like you are onto something. I does look like the truck rolled forward off of the jack/ramp.

Ding ding ding! Wiiiiiinnnneeeerrrrr! I think I see one on the other side as well. Edited by 5523Pathfinder

So? It still fell and killed a guy. :shrug:

What does it matter what combination of ramps, stands and jacks were used? It was still done in the dirt on a slope which is undoubtedly the root cause.

B

Wait, I just looked at the pic for the fourth time and noticed a yellow jack stand on its side. B is correct, the soft ground and angle of the slope are most likely to blame. I'm thinking that he was using ramps to lift the rear off the ground and had the jack stands towards the front. Is it possible the jack was used to angle the motor to gain better access to the tranny? I've never removed a transmission before.

Yeah, the yellow jackstand is on its side and I can now see it is fully extended out, and tHose are ramps on the back for the rear wheels.

Now I get the idea of what this guy was doing and it was extermenly dangerous!

• 1 year later...

It is sad of course, I want to know what a 72 year old was doing removing a tranny by himself anyway ?

The same reason I do all my own work

a side note the article said he was working on the trans? why are the front wheels off

I will share a story that happened way back in 1997 when I was an apprentice exhaust fitter, we were a team of just 3 guys and one guy was installing a new clutch plate to the trans of his own car (because at the time we didn't have any customers and it was quiet) he had the vehicle up on the hoist. Me and the other guy said ok we are going to have lunch and the guy underneath his car said ok Il be there in ten. So we went and had lunch in the crib room. Well ten minutes had passed and the guy working on his car didn't come to have lunch so we decided to go check on him. There he is, fingers of both hands jammed in between the trans housing and the engine rear main. He was trying to support the weight of the trans with his forearms and looked in shock and was silent. So we quickly jumped under and lifted the trans up so he could get his fingers out and they were purple but all fingers intact luckily, grabbed an ice bucket immediately and bandaged his hands. Lesson learned, he should have used the support stand under the trans just in case it dropped. He said afterwards that he couldn't yell out for us because he was using all his strength to hold up the trans and if he yelled he would have dropped it and lost his fingers. It would have been disastrous if we had decided to go down the road to get lunch, it would have been too late.