Weird Surging

I have noticed over the past weeks that my truck has had a weird surging kind of feeling. :wtf:

Its not shaking but it is like a synthesizer. Its there, then gone, then back from 1800-2500rpm. I can hear the engine working and I still get power it just kind of jumps forward and back like it loses power and then come back. I have read some topics like this but that doesn't really sound like what mine is doing.

Tune up? I've seen a few people with surging issues but I can't really remember what ended up being the problem. You might check your vac lines and the accordion-looking intake pipe for cracks.

I had a stutter from 2500-3000. It happened under steady throttle. Decel and accel was fine. Turned out the cam sensor in the dist was bad. You can't buy just the sensor. I got lucky and a used dist did the trick.

Edited by RF600

Thanks for the input, but here is the tricky part.....I know nothing about vac. lines and senors to be safe about them. Now if you guys can push me in the right direction, that would help. Im very keen to learn but for my car, trial and error isn't my thing.

Since the truck is a 90, or for any of our years for that matter, I would skip checking the vacuum lines and just pick up some new tubing and replace all of them that you can, one at a time so there are no mix ups on where each goes, even if the lines look OK, there can be small cracks on the ends that can effect how the engine runs.

Also when my sentra was acting up way back, hesitating from a stop, stumbling, replacing the spark plug wires with OEM (NGK I have found is a good quality replacement also) eliminated the problem I was having.

Since the truck is a 90, or for any of our years for that matter, I would skip checking the vacuum lines and just pick up some new tubing and replace all of them that you can, one at a time so there are no mix ups on where each goes, even if the lines look OK, there can be small cracks on the ends that can effect how the engine runs.

I agree! As said above at the vehicle age it probably needs it anyways.

Bulk hose is very cheap and easy to replace and it will rule one problem out.

Also when my sentra was acting up way back, hesitating from a stop, stumbling, replacing the spark plug wires with OEM (NGK I have found is a good quality replacement also) eliminated the problem I was having.

Again agreed. NGK plugs and wires on Nissans are the way to go.

Well, i don't think these are the problem solvers. like i said it scat like its is losing power but i can still floor it and get up and go. I heard it today that when lugging it sounds like it is oscillating. I will accel a bit and the car it kind of a slow back and forth motion as the noise comes and goes but my rpms never drop and i still get power

5spd, I told my mechanic buddy and he doesn't know anything that would cause it. He said it might be something with the drive line, so he will do a free dia. on it and see if he can find it.

Well, i don't think these are the problem solvers. like i said it scat like its is losing power but i can still floor it and get up and go. I heard it today that when lugging it sounds like it is oscillating. I will accel a bit and the car it kind of a slow back and forth motion as the noise comes and goes but my rpms never drop and i still get power

Sounds exactly like a vacuum leak to me.

^^ Now that inyourface mentions vac leak (I know it was mentioned before), I remember another guy a while back who had cracks in the rubber accordion pipe (air intake) which opened up under load (the motor torqued to the side a bit and pulled the cracks open more). If the vac lines check out, check the pipe for leaks.