more power!

johnyreb

Mine has 2 cams... and 2 valve covers....

20130507_130018.jpg

There are cams on each side under the black valve covers... maybe i dont have a VG30E?

Edited by enkrypt3d

vg30e has brass coloured valve covers, vg33e has the black covers...

I don't think he's talking about his valve covers.

FYI, my 94 has black valve covers. So its not a VG30-VG33 thing.

Edited by Trogdor636
  • Like 1

The engine in the pic looks like a normal VG30E to me. :shrug: The copper color is probably just deposits from the oil. So long as it's not black sludge it shouldn't be an issue.

From what I've read, the Pathfinder intake is actually pretty good, or at least adequate. Nissan did put offer a supercharger for the VG33, and in theory it'll fit a VG30. The crank pulley might be a bastard though.

I don't know if I've ever seen copper colored valve covers. :scratchhead: Mine are black, I just sort of figured they all were. Also I didn't know SOHC vs DOHC was determined by cylinder bank, thanks for clearing that up.

If the vg30e was a DOHC then it would be called the vg30de, (D) being dual over head camshaft and (E) being port injection.

has anyone ever taken a "dremel tool" to the inside of the intake plenum? and smoothed all of the intake ports.

I believe this is called porting?

supposedly this reduces the air turbulence inside the plenum.

has anyone ever taken a "dremel tool" to the inside of the intake plenum? and smoothed all of the intake ports.

I'd like to do that as the intake manifold just sits right on top. or at least have them polished and ported with maybe a bigger TB?

I've never heard of a dremel being used but a buddy of mine did a port and polish on his vg33 i think he also bored it a tiny bit and got huge gains in torque hp and throttle response and even a small mpg gain

Porting is when you make the area larger. Polishing is when you clean it up to a smooth surface. <br />A few tricks is to port match the TB to the intake. Also to port match the upper and lower intakes. <br />Polishing them up helps also. Just time consuming. But a dremel with sanding bits makes it easier. <br /><br />Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2<br /><br />

im trying to figure out a way to run the vg33e intake manifold which already has a better design (more flow, less turbulence zones) and a bigger throttle body (around 5-6mm larger in diameter). This should help immensely with a truck that already has headers/exhaust done and needs more intake flow. Ill be flashing my truck with an M30 factory tune (which already uses the N60 maf) and incorporating the 90mm N60 maf sensor. The combination of the large maf, larger tb, better flowing intake mani, headers and exhaust should make a massive difference to any vg30. Although I'm doing these mods to a vg33e so my results may be a little more prononounced; although they should be similar...

The M30 tune will be enough to get me started with the N60 maf and then from there I can edit the fuel and timing maps for optimum performance and economy but at the expense of (most likely) slightly higher octane fuel. I usually run 87 so 89 may be required after the performance tune. Although fuel mileage should improve as well as power. In my 240sx I have gained a noticeable amount of power from stock and gone from 26mpg to 30mpg with just a K&N drop in filter, 3" exhaust system and a tune (Nismotronic SA). I'm hoping for similar results from my pathy!!!

I do not expect as significant of a fuel mileage increase with all the extra weight I carry though :P Even a couple mpg will be worth it for me! Eventual goal with the pathy is around 200-210 hp and 220-230 lb ft torque and an average of 23mpg. I think it is do-able.

Lots of that here: http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/31418-building-a-vg34-and-installing-it-in-my-88-pathy/ Might be a ways in though, he did a lot of stuff to that engine.

Nefarious, can't wait to see how yours turns out. :)

Its pretty easy to do. If your nervous just start off with a finer grit sand paper bit till you get the feel for it. I used to clean up stock TPI intakes a lot back in the day. Along with stock aluminum GM heads. Ah..the days.

• 1 year later...

As far as the valve covers go, the gold'ish one were used on 2wd D21 pickups. I had one pulled from a jy that were like that and also owned a 95 D21 that the cam/valve covers were gold on.

I've seen a ton of black valve covers. Mostly all TBIs were black as well as MPFIs. However, Z31 NA and D21 valve covers are silver or bronze.

Edited by Kingman

I was under the impression that the 93 and older had the non painted ones. My 93 had those, but my 95 and 94 have black ones, just like my fathers 2000 r50, and friends 2003 Xterra.