OEM side step rail rusting

97SE

I just noticed today that my driver side OEM tubular step rail is badly rusted underneath, on a 97 SE. The other one is perfect. Dealer quoted me $450 for one, or I could buy the set for $350... :shrug: :confused: ... anyone else notice premature rusting on their OEM rails??

• 2 weeks later...

Yea, they rust out pretty quick. My old ones were open on the ends which allowed water and road gunk to get inside and eat at the bare metal. If you do decide to get replacement *shudder* stock ones, try to seal the ends somehow. They might last longer.

Guest pathfindermister

I have a 99.5 Pathfinder SE and already I noticed rust holes starting on the passenger side. Its getting so bad that I've already seen the drivers side start to rust and its to the point where I can watch the corrosion in real time!!

Answer: The dealer said the price came down alot, so I'll be picking up some new ones...when I do, I'll open up one end and then spray the inside of it with oil. This will help maintain it.

• 4 months later...
I have a 99.5 Pathfinder SE and already I noticed rust holes starting on the passenger side. Its getting so bad that I've already seen the drivers side start to rust and its to the point where I can watch the corrosion in real time!!

Answer: The dealer said the price came down alot, so I'll be picking up some new ones...when I do, I'll open up one end and then spray the inside of it with oil. This will help maintain it.

Define "alot"...

• 3 weeks later...
Guest markynature
I just noticed today that my driver side OEM tubular step rail is badly rusted underneath, on a 97 SE. The other one is perfect. Dealer quoted me $450 for one, or I could buy the set for $350... :shrug: :confused: ... anyone else notice premature rusting on their OEM rails??

I had the same problem. I said screw the dealership and went with some real side steps, and got me some Westins. I love them!

Check it out! And they are easy to install.

http://westin.accessory-center.com/series....3/525?f1=Nissan

If anyone needs one, I've got a used, but mint drivers side 96-99.

I'd prefer not to ship it, cuz it was a PAIN to pack up the other one, but say...$50 + shipping/handling, or $50 pickup.

I've already gotten sliders, so I have no use for them and figured one of you would rather spend less and just replace the bad one...heh.

Anyways, I'm gone for a week starting tomorrow, and I'll have limited access to the board, so email me at findapath@gmail.com if you're interested.

• 2 weeks later...
If anyone needs one, I've got a used, but mint drivers side 96-99. 

I'd prefer not to ship it, cuz it was a PAIN to pack up the other one, but say...$50 + shipping/handling, or $50 pickup.

I've already gotten sliders, so I have no use for them and figured one of you would rather spend less and just replace the bad one...heh.

Anyways, I'm gone for a week starting tomorrow, and I'll have limited access to the board, so email me at findapath@gmail.com if you're interested.

Is it the OEM silver one? any idea on shipping cost to Charleston, SC?

Edited by 97SE

Yes, it is the OEM silver one. It's just sitting in my garage collecting dust and cobwebs...

Shipping...hmm...Probably about $30-35 (may vary because I just guestimated on the weight and size) thru FedEx...a lot less than I was charged by UPS to ship the other one. :aok:

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
I have a set in Cali off an 01' that are still in good shape. PM me if you want to buy them.

anyone know if these from an 01 will fit?

alos, what color are they? grey or black?

When I got my 97 at 120,000 miles the first thing I did was remove the OEM step rails. They were both badly rusted. Personally, I like the look of the Pathy without them. But I am not an off-roader.

Edited by AssBeard