95 pathfinder fog lights not working

fearkobe

when i turn the switch on the light on the switch lights up but no fog lights. im thinking it could be the relay but if the switch is lighting up wouldnt that mean the relay working? thanks

Edited by fearkobe

when i turn the switch on the light on the switch lights up but no fog lights. im thinking it could be the relay but if the switch is lighting up wouldnt that mean the relay working? thanks

I would suggest a relay or fuse has blown, more likley a faulty relay as the power goes through the switch first then the relay.

The switch light is independant of the lighting circuit.

Time to get a multimeter out and start working your way back from the lights to the switch. It is a simple method of elimination really. Also check your lamps are not blown.

You are going to have to do a little homework sorry.

• Like 2

I would suggest a relay or fuse has blown, more likley a faulty relay as the power goes through the switch first then the relay.

The switch light is independant of the lighting circuit.

Time to get a multimeter out and start working your way back from the lights to the switch. It is a simple method of elimination really. Also check your lamps are not blown.

You are going to have to do a little homework sorry.

X2.

Get the multimeter, check the bulbs, connections tight and have power, work back to relay and battery connection. At least on the 92 it was piggy backed off the battery.

Edited by 92Path_68CJ
  • Like 1

There is a fuse near the battery. The wiring isn't very factory looking (being these fogs were a dealer installed item) and I believe the wiring is yellow, I sort of forgot. Anyway, look near the battery, your fuse is probably blown.

• Like 2

There is a fuse near the battery. The wiring isn't very factory looking (being these fogs were a dealer installed item) and I believe the wiring is yellow, I sort of forgot. Anyway, look near the battery, your fuse is probably blown.

The wiring on my 92 harness is black, I don't know if it is different on a 95. At the battery terminal there is a wire attached onto the positive, next to it there is a fuse holder that should be attached.

p4070064.jpg

Edited by 92Path_68CJ
  • Like 1

In the USA, it is required in most states that you turn the fog lights on only with low beams. The fog lights are wired to only come on with low beams. So can you first make sure that both of the low beams are on before flipping the fog light switch to the ON position?

With that being said, check the fuse at the battery. Then the switch itself could also be bad.

Then make sure your bulbs have continuity through them. As in they are not popped or full of water.

The relay is typically the last point of failure. I never had a relay go bad except for one time on a Toyota which was a solid state relay.

Edited by Tungsten
  • Like 2

The wire is black now that Ive looked. I was thinking of the yellow fuse holder that is sitting in my toolbox! Anyway, in my experience that fuse has been responsible 3 out of 3 (assuming you know your bulbs work?) Pathfinders I have worked on.

• Like 1

In the USA, it is required in most states that you turn the fog lights on only with low beams. The fog lights are wired to only come on with low beams. So

and California is one of them

• Like 1

fust is good and its a 15 so its the relay im gonna try next. is there any fuse in the hood i can try instead of buying one or chancing one from a junk yard? thanks

My understanding is that it's only the one fuse. Does the relay 'click' when it turns on/off? Have someone try it from inside (lowbeams on) while you listen. If it's quiet you can use a screwdriver as a redneck stethoscope. If you don't hear anything, try jumpering the relay wires (the top of the relay should tell you what connections do what) and see if the lights come on then.

Also check the ground for the relay, it may be loose or corroded.

• Like 1

i checked that fuse its fine its a 15. only thing i can check now is the relay. is there any relay i can pull out and try it on the fog lamp relay before i start testing the wires?

i checked that fuse its fine its a 15. only thing i can check now is the relay. is there any relay i can pull out and try it on the fog lamp relay before i start testing the wires?

Start testing wires first. There aren't any other relays like that lying under the hood that I know of. I think you'd have to go get another, junkyard or otherwise.

Start at square one and work back, don't hop between them.

Edited by 92Path_68CJ

Start testing wires first. There aren't any other relays like that lying under the hood that I know of. I think you'd have to go get another, junkyard or otherwise.

Start at square one and work back, don't hop between them.

Which is what I suggested right at the start of this thread.

• Like 1