? about speedometer gear, 94

ahardb0dy

Sorry if this has been covered already. I know the 94 PF has a electronic gauge cluster ( no cable for the speedometer), but there still is a gear on the transfer case isn't there? What I want to know is if there is any way to determine what gear I have by looking at it. My speedometer is reading 3 MPH fast, (compared to what a GPS unit says, I know that may not be 100% accurate either), I have an SE and it came with 31" tires which I am running now. I know my buddy that I bought the PF from replaced the tranny but do not know what trim level pickup or pathfinder it came out of so I'm wondering if maybe the trans came out of a truck that did not come stock with the 31's and that would cause my speedometer to read in correctly.

Thanks

Different teeth/colors. Alkorahil can look up your VIN and tell you what gear you should have. I threw a VSS code recently and pulled a junkyard unit, but when I took mine out I realized my gear was stripping and the c clip that holds the gear on had exploded off. The junkyard gear was a different color so I had to buy a dealer gear. My local dealer gave me the wrong gear first, but his FAST system was messing up, and eventually thanks to Rob I got it figured out and working.

Edited by Trogdor636

Don't think the Vin will help, other than telling me what the stock gear should be, the trans was replaced from unknown vehicle (pickup/Pathfinder) and no idea what trim donor vehicle had.

The Gear is at the back of the transfer case, so if transmission and transfer case were both replaced, there is a chance that you no longer have the stock gear. The size of gear obviously depends on axle ratio and stock tire size. I pulled a sensor out of a 95 Auto SE model (likely HG46 for that reason). It had a red gear my stock gear is yellow (XE model with HG43). I am guessing that you should require a red gear being an SE with 31's.

I have a similar question. I have an 89 SE - Pathy, and I had to replace the instrument cluster do some gauge malfunctions. The cluster, speedo, tach etc. came from a Canadian rig, where the speedo gauge is in both Kilometers, as well am MPH, with Kilometers per hour being predominant on the gauge.

The question I have is, would the gearing in the cluster from a Canadian cluster be any different from a USA model throwing of the odometer, and trip meter readings? I too, also run stock sized 31" tires and a 5 speed.

I'm more interested in the potential impact this may have on mileage readings, than the speed I'm traveling?

Thnaks

Don't think the Vin will help, other than telling me what the stock gear should be

That's what I'm getting at. Get what color gear you should have from Rob, then its a simple 10mm or 12mm bolt to pull out the VSS and check your gear color. Then you'll know.

I have a similar question. I have an 89 SE - Pathy, and I had to replace the instrument cluster do some gauge malfunctions. The cluster, speedo, tach etc. came from a Canadian rig, where the speedo gauge is in both Kilometers, as well am MPH, with Kilometers per hour being predominant on the gauge.

The question I have is, would the gearing in the cluster from a Canadian cluster be any different from a USA model throwing of the odometer, and trip meter readings? I too, also run stock sized 31" tires and a 5 speed.

I'm more interested in the potential impact this may have on mileage readings, than the speed I'm traveling?

Thnaks

Same as above. PM Alkorahil and find out your gear, then go from there.

My speedometer is reading 3 MPH fast

At what speed, so what percentage is the error, or is it 3mph across the board? That is such a small error, I doubt it is due to the wrong gear. More likely it is a combination of tire size and perhaps your particular cluster is slightly off. I know you said you have 31" tires, but that is just a generalization. What is the actual size that the manufacturer makes them too, and how much wear do they have?

Thnaks

Shouldn't be, a mile is a mile in either country.

B

Thnaks

The gearing would be different in the odomoter and the tripometer for sure.

The tach will not be any different as it is RPM and not metric/english.

The circuit board is also the same as is the speedometer pinion so it doesnt look like its a major project to convert.

Don't think the Vin will help, other than telling me what the stock gear should be, the trans was replaced from unknown vehicle (pickup/Pathfinder) and no idea what trim donor vehicle had.

VIN of your truck will tell me what should be on your truck as well as how many teeth it is and what color.

D21 and WD21 all used the same pinions but there are many different ones as you stated based on tiresize and so forth.

For the WD21 there are 4 different pinions: 17,18,19, 20 teeth for 1988-1993 and the same for 1994-1995.

Edited by Alkorahil

The cops are that bad up there? Are they bored or overzealous or just powertripping?

I agree on the 3mph being small. My motorcycle speedos were wayyyyyyyy of at higher speeds. As much as 15-20mph. They were close in the 0-100mph.

There are enough variables including tire size and wear that I'm amazed if a speedo is dead right, and then that is rarely throughout the entire range. :shrug:

Shouldn't be, a mile is a mile in either country.

Sorry, reading comprehension fail. I won't even try to explain what I thought I was answering. :rolleyes:

I rarely look at my spedometer

I drove by tach for years in my first Pathy when the speedo was deranged and never had any problems, but then I'm a pretty mellow, low mileage driver.

B

Thanks, With the GPS I noticed it is 3 MPH off no matter the speed, the tires have good tread look new, They measure 30.5 OD when new, should be similar to what was stock.

Vin says truck is an SE with the Off-road package, FAST shows from 7/93 to 6/94 speedometer drive pinion is 18 Teeth and than says from 07/93 is 20 teeth

If it is 3mph off regardess of speed, it can't be the gearing as it would change as the vehicle speed did. If the GPS is to be trusted, then your absolute zero or needle position is off.

B