Real off topic here, need help identifying something

ahardb0dy

So my father gave this to me years ago and have no idea what it is, it appears brass but there is a spot that looks like it was filled in with lead or something soft, it's non magnetic and has a hollow end. Check out the pics below and if you have any idea what it is let me know because I don't:

Thanks

2irktmu.jpg

2pydi8n.jpg

2vimczm.jpg

Only the very bottom is hollow about 3/4", I ran my dremel over it little while ago with a polishing wheel and used some Mother's pre wax cleaner on it, the thing is shining like gold ( wouldn't that be nice if it was !!), I don't know if it is some kind of candle holder that the pointed end goes in the ground or what. My dad was in Korea no idea if that is where he got it.

No markings at all on it, kind of weird that there would not be a symbol of the manufacturer or something.

will try to take some better pictures tomorrow and get the length and weight, it had a bend in it but I straightened it pretty good with out making any new marks on it.

Also have a German bayonet I have to research I wrote all the markings down off of it.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Whatever you do don't clean the bayonet, and I recommend the same for this item.

There is a very strong chance you could devalue this.

And I almost guarantee you will devalue the bayonet.

Send me some pics and I'll ID it for you.

The bayonet was cleaned years ago, the sheath is rusty and still has leather that holds it. Will take pics tomorrow, think I found one fairly similar, maybe exact, see here, 8th picture down and sheath at 10h pic down, top one:

http://www.gotavapen.se/gota/artiklar/98bayonets/98bayonets3.htm

Also have another one with no gun attachment points, big blood groove in it, see here, 5th pic up from bottom:

http://www.gotavapen.se/gota/artiklar/98bayonets/98bayonets4.htm

Took some better ( not by much !) pictures of this brass thing, and some close up's showing the detail, also have pics of the bayonet and another knife I have no idea of what it is:

dev3bo.jpg

n2hixh.jpg

n2l9gn.jpg

ddm2om.jpg

The bayonet:

347h9ba.jpg

1441hqe.jpg

5ouyrl.jpg

25qgdc3.jpg

35iugl4.jpg

2eockys.jpg

No dimensions?

B

Yes, I measured them than got side tracked and never posted, the bayonet blade from tip to the hilt?? is 10" overall 15.25

brass/bronze thing is 17.25

other knife is 13"

Found this bayonet site, this one looks like the one I have same manufacturer, only thing is mine has a different manufacturer stamped on each side so I don't know if that means it was re-issued or what, and the leather part of the sheath, "frog" I have found they are called, LoL, all the one's I have seen have rivets, mine does not and I see no signs of where they would have been, link below:

http://worldbayonets.com/Bayonet_Identification_Guide/Germany__Post_WW_I_/B1003_2/B1003-1.html

My mothers side of the family is German, I asked my dad where the bayonet came from and he doesn't recall ever seeing it, or giving it to me. The brass/bronze spike thing he remembers giving to me but he says he found it, he doesn't remember if he found it here in NY or overseas.

Edited by ahardb0dy

I was thinking that the brass thing might be a fancy snuff-straw, but I believe it's too big at 17.25". There was a time when smoking was considered unladylike, and many women used snuff tobacco instead. (My, how that's been reversed) In order to avoid the stigma of spitting, either into a spitoon or on the ground, ladies would carry a snuff straw. It would be decorative metal (since there was no plastic then) with an ivory or bone handle, and a "carburetor." She would release spit into the straw, hold the carburetor, then remove it from her mouth and release the spit from the straw into a spitoon.

To me, other than that, it kinda looks like the broken-off handle of a fireplace poker.