Timing belt disaster - Simple question... maybe.

englishjim

could I ask to see somebody's timing marks in relation to the crank key? Im just a little worried that my timing mark pulley should be installed on the harmonic balancer in a certain way. I dont want to use the marks on the pulley if it is installed on the crank wrong.

Sorry but I don't understand your question. How many pieces do you have loose? Looking at your pictures above, you have a pully (outermost) with bolts in it and you have a bigger pully w/ a keyed slot. There is really no way to get the assembly wrong. The rotational orientation of the small pulley on the big pulley makes no difference.

Yes I was talking about the rotational orientation, I just awanted to make sure the timing marks on the big pulley was in correct orientation according to the keyhole. The smaller pulley had a yellow mark on it to refer to.

And I actually put it 3 notches over for 15 degrees I heard that was the best for the carbureted versions of the vehicle

As far as ignition timing goes I never did it I put the pulley at 15 degrees and she seemed to idle and run just fine.

Can anybody tell me if the ignition timing is necessary or will it be okay with just timing up the pulleys correctly.

After the pulley was on I did I teeth count on the upper sprockets (still 40).

So far so good. I hope all is well and she keeps running.

The timing marks on the crank pulley are just for reference. The distributor's geared off one of the camshafts, so if you did the belt job right (sounds like you did) and you haven't moved the distributor, your ignition timing should be exactly the same as it was before. If the pulley is clocked wrong, you'll have a tougher time setting the timing if you ever need to, but I'm pretty sure that's all the damage it would do.

I actually ordered a timing light the other day to tune the Scout, and I'll probably try it on the Pathy as well, just in case somebody tinkered with it and set it wrong. I'm always hoping to find a little free power hidden in there. :lol:

Edited by Slartibartfast