replacing rear springs with oem

00PathfinderSE

You pretty much have the right idea. As he said, coil spring compressor can come in handy but shouldn't necessary for OEM springs. Jack up the vehicle until the rear axle is in the air and properly support the body at the jack points. Position a jack directly under the pumpkin and raise the rear axle slightly. disconnect the rear sway bar and shocks (bottom end only). Lower the jack and see if you can pull the springs out. If not, position the jack on one side of the axle and raise that so the other side is forced down. You should be able to pull that side out now. Note the position of the spring isolators and install them the same way with the new springs. Repeat to do the other side, jack the axle back up, attach the shocks and sway bar, and lower the whole vehicle back down.

B

Precise and flurys are both right.

If you have a compressor use Fleurys method, if not use the one Precise gave.

I have done Precise's method twice and it isnt too difficult once you get in there.

Glad you got it done without issue. :aok:

Precise and flurys are both right.

If you have a compressor use Fleurys method, if not use the one Precise gave.

I have done Precise's method twice and it isnt too difficult once you get in there.

Hell, I've done Precise's method once in conjunction with Fleury's method! Damn Jeep springs didn't want to fit, especially the second one! P...:lol:

I have a set of spring compressors I have used for 20 years (as little as possible). They are ok for assistance, but I had one spring almost get away from me and that will give you a healthy respect for potential energy! Great tools but to be used cautiously...

B

yea I'm panning on doing the front struts later this month, can't say I'm looking forward to it. Isn't there some compressors that have locking clips on them to keep them from slipping off?

Yes there are I have seen them. I am sure someone here can name where to get them. I am just drawing a blank.

I've seen them but never used them so I don't know how much better they work. Sometimes you don't have good access aroung the spring to install the clips though. These are the ones I am accustomed to (without the secondary hooks). I find that wrapping the hooks with duct tape make them grip better than just a metal on metal contact. If you use this type, make sure to lube the threaded shaft.

image_18480.jpg

These look decent if the grooves are properly arced and that keeper system looks effective and built in. Clearance may be an issue...

2265.jpg

The first pict was Harbor Freight but you can find other brands and the second are carried at Autozone among other places. Just pay attention and be careful and it should go smooth. :aok:

B

If you've never done struts before, and don't have anyone who has around to help, I would take them to a shop to be assembled, and then install them into the truck yourself. Reason being that it is a lot easier and you still save a good chunk of change.