Snow Driving and 4WD

WxChaser

Hey all,

With the impending snow storm about to hit my area (NC Mountains) I was thinking about some things with the pathy before I take it out tomorrow for some fun.

Because I live in a river valley and will be driving up mountain roads that may be untreated, I need to know if I can shift my 93 Pathfinder SE into 4WD Hi on the fly? I thought I remembered hearing that you can shift it while driving, but what is the max speed? I typically always shift into 4WD from a stop so I never worried about it... now that I'll be heading into some slick areas, I may want it on sometimes. Also, do I need to put it in neutral when I shift on the fly (I assume so but just want to be sure). Driving up a mountain road and then going to neutral and then to 4 Hi will kill my momentum. Leaving it in gear will allow me to maintain speed at least.

Secondly, I was reading on another forum about snow blocking up the radiator air intake.. Anyone have an issue with this?

That's all. Any other cautionary tips are great. This is my first winter with my pathy so I wanted a little insight.

as long as you let off the gas and the wheels arent spinning it will engage fine with it in gear. just make sure you do it fairly quick. ive shifted on the move in gear with all my trucks. tho if your on the gas or the rear wheels are spinning it WILL grind.... -_- lol. found that out a few times!

As far as speed, ive already read and been told its safe up to 45mph for 4hi.

I've had FWD vehicles all of my life, and learned to drive carefully in snow/ice. Never had an issue slipping or sliding. I don't speed, but I also don't crawl. Having a 4x4 vehicle is great considering many other times I had to rely on friends to take me up the mountains. Now I've got what I need.

Yep, you've got what you need! You also undoubtedly know of a few un patrolled parking lots near by. Go and cut 200 donuts, stopping from the left, right, 2wd, 4wd. Let your girl do the same. Keep a strap in your truck to help those who get stuck in less capable vehicles. Always think of other motorists as family members, we are all in this together...

When I'm going out into snow i usually start off in 4x4 just to get the hubs engaged. Then I put it in 2x until I need more traction. The hubs aren't supposed to unlock unless you drive backwards some distance in 2x, so this means that when I do shift to 4x, the front diff/driveshaft/CVs are already up to speed. So you can totally shift on the fly, if you've engaged the hubs first.

Also mine tends to understeer a bit if I try to cut really sharp turns in 4x4 in snow. Not a huge issue but something to be aware of.

When I'm going out into snow i usually start off in 4x4 just to get the hubs engaged. Then I put it in 2x until I need more traction. The hubs aren't supposed to unlock unless you drive backwards some distance in 2x, so this means that when I do shift to 4x, the front diff/driveshaft/CVs are already up to speed. So you can totally shift on the fly, if you've engaged the hubs first.

Also mine tends to understeer a bit if I try to cut really sharp turns in 4x4 in snow. Not a huge issue but something to be aware of.

So it's like the Pathfinders that had full time 4x4? Didn't think of that... Starting it in 4 Hi to lock the hubs, then putting the transfer case back into 2wd. Smart. I'll keep that in mind! Wont damage the transfer case if I'm going a reasonable speed I presume?

Forgot to mention that I've got the tow strap ready to go. Will be ready to pull someone out if need be. I'm excited to see what this thing can do.

Mine hasn't exploded yet. :lol: It'll put a little extra wear on CVs and things (because they wouldn't be turning otherwise) but I figure it's better for the car than the alternative. Like you say it's basically just setting it up like an R50. Should be fine.

Awesome. Read another forum post about shifting on the fly and many people do as you all had suggested.

Unfortunately I'm up early because classes weren't cancelled (yet).

Be careful if you ever pull a stuck vehicle with your PF. If the vehicle you pull is heavier than yours you risk bending the idler arm. I know this from experience, I pulled a suburban off a hill one time in my old 87 hardbody, he had 36's and was high centered on the hill, I got him unstuck but my front end lifted or came off the ground and when I started to drive away I could tell something was wrong with my front end, I was right the idler arm was all bent.

I pulled a bunch of trucks out of snow, mud, sand over the years with the hardbody, that suburban was the only one that caused damage to my truck, and it wasn't the first time I pulled a suburban, guy gave me a $50 tip one day for pulling his suburban out of the middle of Nichols Road on Long Island in a snow storm, he was cut off. I never asked for payment just tips !

• Like 1

Quick question that just popped, IF I had to pull someone out (my friend is driving his 04 Highlander behind me, for example) would it be better to keep it in 4 Hi or go to 4 Lo for "more power"? Just curious.. Obviously pulling someone out puts a lot of strain on the trans and transfer case so I just wanted to make sure that if I help someone that I don't end up getting in a worse predicament.

I saw a park ranger one time on the beach back home (smith Point), pull a stuck truck out of the sand when a wave came in and buried it pretty good, he must have had about a hundred foot long snatch strap, after they hooked up both ends the park ranger took off !! I mean he floored it, it seemed like he drove quite a distance before the strap got tight and than the stretch in the strap yanked the truck right out.

I need to know if I can shift my 93 Pathfinder SE into 4WD Hi on the fly? I thought I remembered hearing that you can shift it while driving, but what is the max speed?

You can go from 2wd to 4hi at any speed up to 50mph, so the manual says. I've shifted at about 20mph before. 4hi to 4lo is a different ballgame, I think you can shift 4hi to 4lo at about 5mph but I've never needed 4lo so I'm not sure. If I ever need 4hi to 4lo I would be stationary I think.

As for when to shift into 4Hi...I say do it BEFORE you think you need to. as long as you are not driving faster than 70km/h. the benefits of being in 4Hi far out way the extra fuel use or wear and tear. you did't buy a 4x4 for it's fuel economy. On snow and ice it is far safer to have already engaged 4HI because it'll be to late to shift when the back end is passing the front.

I made out pretty well tonight. Snow was accumulating on the interstate immediately at one spot... not much warning. I pressed on as I only had another 4 miles to go before I got off. When I got off, engaged the 4WD (for some reason the light never came on but I felt it engaging). Sometimes it would flicker on or whatnot.

Overall it did well... Its got new tires on it so it gripped really well. No sliding (except when I did it on purpose!). Didn't have to go to 4 Lo and there were some 8-9" drifts.